Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2010, 05:04 PM

17 posts, read 44,354 times

Advertisements

As I mentioned in a different post, my family is thinking about moving to the area. We will be in the area in July to visit with some friends, and were planning to take 2 - 3 days to stay in town and visit the different cities. We are thinking of staying in Cary (because they have a hotel we like and the location seems to be kind of central).

We will likely be there for a Thurs - Sat or Fri - Sun. Does anyone have any suggestions on places we should visit to get a good feel for the town? We plan to eat out for all of our meals...we prefer local places...ethnic food (particularly indian & thai). We would like to visit some parks or neighborhoods with playgrounds, if anyone has any suggestions for those. We also plan to travel around rush hour on the weekdays so we can see what the traffic is like (we are in the Wash DC Metro area now...I've heard mixed things about the traffic down there). From what we know about the area, were we to relocate, we would likely rent for a year, but then look in Chapel Hill, Durham or Hillsborough to live permanently, so we are looking for suggestions in these areas. I'm not planning to spend much time in downtown Raleigh during our visit, because I don't see us living there necessarily.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2010, 05:26 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,341,010 times
Are you sure you want to stay in Cary if your focus is north of there? Since you are limited on time I would consider staying somewhere closer. SW Durham is closer and lots of shopping and restaurants. I would also consider staying anywhere on the west side of Durham or somewhere nice in Chapel Hill. Traffic here isn't anything like the DC Metro area, and Durham and Orange County have much less than Wake County, but SW Durham and Chapel Hill have the most traffic in their counties.

In Hillsborough I would check out the historic downtown, great restaurants, some shopping, a few historical sites/museums including Ayr Mount (I love the Poet's Walk trail here too). Any kids? I would also make a trip to Maple View Farms for ice cream. If you come the last Friday of the month check out Hillsborough's Last Friday's http://hillsboroughartscouncil.org/LastFridays.html

In Durham check out a Bulls game, see about a show at the DPAC, check out the restaurants at the American Tobacco District (before or after a game/show), Brightleaf, 9th St. You could do 9th St. and Duke University/Gardens tour together. If you stay in SW Durham the best sushi (they also have Thai, and various Asian dishes) is Shiki Sushi. In SW Durham you will also find Southpoint mall and most of your big box shopping.

In Chapel Hill you can tour UNC's campus and check out the planetarium. Others could suggest more things to do and which restaurants to try.

Most newer and historic neighborhoods have their own parks. What kind of neighborhood are you looking for? Here is a Durham County park locator http://www.ci.durham.nc.us/gis_apps/parkapp/mainmap.cfm

Oh! And also check out the Eno River in NW Durham/Hillsborough http://www.enoriver.org/ Ayr Mount is beautiful and also has the Eno.

Last edited by DanielleNC; 05-02-2010 at 05:39 PM..

Old 05-02-2010, 05:37 PM

17 posts, read 44,354 times
Hmmm..shows how much I know, I didn't think Cary was that far off! Our friends that we are visiting are in North Raleigh, though it isn't as important that we are close to them as we plan to do dinner with them and then go off to see things on our own. I have asked them for some suggestions too, but they really only know Raleigh.

Your suggestions sound wonderful - we will have a 2 1/2 year old with us and it sounds like we will have plenty to do. I would love to hear some more ideas too!

Old 05-02-2010, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelsonkh View Post
Your suggestions sound wonderful - we will have a 2 1/2 year old with us and it sounds like we will have plenty to do. I would love to hear some more ideas too!
Oh gosh! I forgot the Museum of Life and Science! A must for your 2 1/2 year old. Recently took my nephew just before he turned three and he absolutely loved it. Explore, Connect, Learn, Share | North Carolina Museum of Life and Science

Old 05-02-2010, 06:00 PM

140 posts, read 621,307 times
Sarah Duke Gardens: walk the grounds enjoy the sights and smells of all those flowers and greenery

For Indian food I suggest Saffron located in Morrisville

For the kids you gotta visit Frankies for games, go carts mini golf, laser tag, batting cages and a nice bar for mom and dad.

Lake Johnson in downtown Raleigh is close to Pullen Park and a great place to rent peddle boats, canoes, kayaks and sail boats for as little as $6 an hour.

Gotta stop at goodberry's for frozen custard while you are here, locopops is also a neat little ice pop place.

Catch a bulls game and go across the street to the mellow mushroom for pizza or Cuban Revolution for good cuban sandwiches and salsa dancing. The tap room is also a great place for beers.

The Farmers Markets here are also a great place to wonder and waste time on a weekend morning

Old 05-02-2010, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
The Farmers Markets here are also a great place to wonder and waste time on a weekend morning
I was also going to suggest Durham's Farmers Market. Central Park is also right across the street. Here is a recent NY Times article featuring the farmers market. Durham, a Tobacco Town, Turns to Local Food - NYTimes.com
The slideshow Local Food for Local Diners in Durham - The New York Times > Dining & Wine > Slide Show > Slide 1 of 10

A couple years ago Durham and Chapel Hill were named America's Foodiest Small Town by Bon Appetit.
America's Foodiest Small Town: In the Magazine : bonappetit.com

Restaurant listings:
Where to Eat in America's Foodiest Small Town: The Bon Appetit Foodist: Blogs : bonappetit.com

Old 05-03-2010, 02:41 AM

476 posts, read 1,296,077 times
In Cary you won't be too central to Durham, Chapel Hill and Hillsborough. As a recent transplant from DC, I'd say try to stay farther north. By DC standards, Cary isn't too far from where you are looking, but by Triangle standards, it's a totally different area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary