U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 11:12 AM

165 posts, read 402,110 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm moving to Raleigh next month and am looking for a well rated hospital (based on your personal experience) to be connected with as a patient, if necessary. Which one in your opinion is the better hospital: Duke in Raleigh OR Rex Healthcare in Raleigh???? Would value your help here! Thanks.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 12:07 PM

10,525 posts, read 20,605,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by relo-NC View Post
Hi, I'm moving to Raleigh next month and am looking for a well rated hospital (based on your personal experience) to be connected with as a patient, if necessary. Which one in your opinion is the better hospital: Duke in Raleigh OR Rex Healthcare in Raleigh???? Would value your help here! Thanks.
This question has come up before (you can search the forum), and the general consensus is: you will find someone with wonderful stories and someone with horror stories for any hospital in the area (or any area, actually). The minute someone says "I like hospital X", someone else will say "Oh no way, they almost killed my aunt" or whatever. I personally would probably go with Rex, just because I grew up here and it's the most "established" hospital in the area, and it's closer to where I live, but you will probably get recommendations for Duke or even WakeMed. Ultimately it comes down to what doctors and nurses you are served by, of course.

Old 05-05-2010, 12:50 PM

746 posts, read 2,090,666 times
While I agree with the sentiment of Francois' reply, I would not hesitate to say I prefer Rex to Duke Raleigh. Hands down. Have heard lots of horror stories about Duke Raleigh, never have heard one about Rex. Wake Med is always a good option too. (both Wake Med and Rex have convenient medical facilities (emergency rooms and outpatient surgery centers, etc.) located throughout the triangle with shorter wait times.

Old 05-05-2010, 01:13 PM

6,239 posts, read 14,835,645 times
We go to Rex for what we need and have generally been very happy.

If we were ever to need something bigger, such as cancer treatment or a transplant, I'd go to Duke University Medical Center in Durham.

Rex has a cancer center, and I don't know anything about it. But I'd probably check that out first before going to Duke. But Duke is Duke. There is good and bad about being a huge internationally known hospital. Rex is nice and small.

I used to go to Duke for mammograms, because -- it was Duke. Now I go to Raleigh Radiology on Cedarhurst Drive in Raleigh, and it's so much less stressful.

I far prefer Rex to Duke Raleigh. I spent most of Monday at Duke Raleigh with a friend who had to go to the ER, and they were pretty nice. That hasn't always been the case, for me. So I'd still prefer Rex.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:12 PM

4,532 posts, read 7,905,105 times
Normally you pick a hospital based on their specialty or b/c your doc is affiliated - will either of these have any bearing on your decision? I agree with Francois, and will paraphrase - none of the facilities is going to be a 100% in customer satisfaction - an experience depends on so many factors and is subjective.
Perhaps you could share what you are looking for and why so that folks can narrow it down.

Old 05-05-2010, 08:21 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,318,618 times
I would also say it depends on your doctor! I had a great surgeon for my gallbladder and he did surgery at both rex and duke raleigh, I had mine at duke raleigh and it was fine. I recently had a friend who had a very challenging spine surgery, his doc did it at duke raleigh.......everything went well. Duke raleigh is probably not as flashy as rex, but I have had good experiences there.

My mom had surgery at Duke (because her surgeon did surgery there) and it was very nice, but no more fancy than any of the other hospitals.

I think at places like duke and unc you tend to get more residents during your care, where at rex and duke raleigh you don't see as many residents. I would say that rex tends to have a better reputation than duke raleigh, but that is mainly because I think when duke raleigh was raleigh community they were not doing as many high profile procedures, etc.

Leigh

Old 05-05-2010, 09:23 PM

4,532 posts, read 7,905,105 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leighbhe View Post
I would also say it depends on your doctor! I had a great surgeon for my gallbladder and he did surgery at both rex and duke raleigh, I had mine at duke raleigh and it was fine. I recently had a friend who had a very challenging spine surgery, his doc did it at duke raleigh.......everything went well. Duke raleigh is probably not as flashy as rex, but I have had good experiences there.

My mom had surgery at Duke (because her surgeon did surgery there) and it was very nice, but no more fancy than any of the other hospitals.

I think at places like duke and unc you tend to get more residents during your care, where at rex and duke raleigh you don't see as many residents. I would say that rex tends to have a better reputation than duke raleigh, but that is mainly because I think when duke raleigh was raleigh community they were not doing as many high profile procedures, etc.

Leigh
Absolutely spot on! Now that Duke owns Duke Raleigh Hospital, the former Raleigh Community, they have expanded the offerings, services, and facility.
Remember - Rex is affiliated with UNC. Wake Med stands alone, and Duke Raleigh, you know the relationship there.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:49 AM

4,027 posts, read 10,268,842 times
A good many of the surgeons hold privleges at both Duke Raleigh and Rex. I work for Duke and split my time between the main campus and Raleigh. Duke Raleigh has come a long way since it's affilitation with "big Duke". The cancer center is top notch and many doctors split their time between both facilities. All of Duke's hospitals are "magnet hospitals" - which is an esteemed accredidation by the ANCC (American Nurses Credentialing Center). Magnet status has been proven to attract and retain highly qualified nurses. Rex is also a magnet hospital, Wake is not.

Old 05-06-2010, 06:27 AM
VSB

167 posts, read 748,980 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ljd1010 View Post
Magnet status has been proven to attract and retain highly qualified nurses. Rex is also a magnet hospital, Wake is not.
Magnet status is meaningless.

1. UNC, Rex's owner is not a "magnet."

2. Charlotte Medical Center (CMC), which is a major, acclaimed medical center and teaching center with top-notch residencies, is not.

3. WakeMed, another major community-based teaching center, is not.

Other major hospitals in other states that are not magnets:

Brigham and Women's Hospital in Boston
Beth Israel Deaconness in Boston
Yale University Hospital (and just about every other good hospital in Connecticut)
Sloan Kettering in New York
Cornell (Weill) in New York

et cetera et cetera ad infinitum.

There are only 370 accredited hospitals in the nation. There are, however, 5,815 registered hospitals in the US (6.4%).

The bottom line is what was stated in the beginning:

You can find positive and negative experiences at any of the area hospitals. I wouldn't hesitate to pursue care at any of Raleigh's hospitals. Unfortunately, there remains no reliable way to ensure that your experience will be "good." If you feel compelled to list why you prefer a particular hospital, that's your prerogative. However, the notion that this particular "magnet" accreditation has been shown to improve nursing care, patient satisfaction, patient outcomes, or some other metric, is false and dishonest. Like most other "certifications," it's about MARKETING.

Old 05-06-2010, 04:33 PM

9 posts, read 20,337 times
Rex is my choice.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary