U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2010, 01:35 PM

15,724 posts, read 20,236,348 times

Advertisements

according to MSN's Health and Fitness section. Here's the article:

The Fattest Cities - MSN Health & Fitness - Weight Loss (http://health.msn.com/weight-loss/articlepage.aspx?cp-documentid=100257787&gt1=31036 - broken link)

What do you think?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2010, 03:07 PM

10,701 posts, read 21,642,125 times
One of the things Durham used to be famous for was being home of "The Rice Diet". People from all over the country came here to take part in that program. I once saw former child actor Mason Reese (remember the Underwood Deviled Ham commercials in the 1970s?) in town, here for that.

Old 05-05-2010, 03:11 PM

476 posts, read 1,596,619 times
Interesting article... I would have answered sooner, but I had to wipe the Hush Puppie grease off my keyboard!

Old 05-05-2010, 03:25 PM

15,724 posts, read 20,236,348 times
Sorry, I had posted more but kitty jumped on me and hit "send" before I was done typing and ended up with duplicate threads.

I had one of the threads deleted, but the wrong one.

I had said in that thread that while I don't live in Durham, I do have my fair share of unhealthy habits, my worst being that I sit on my rear way too much!

I have started walking a few miles a day now, but I'd love to be a runner. For the time being, until everything stops jiggling, I can only be a jogger in the wee hours of the morning or the evening when it gets dark....lol

Okay, that and candy...candy is my worst enemy! Oh why do I love sugar so???

Old 05-05-2010, 04:10 PM

34 posts, read 96,130 times
I'd be curious to see some of the actual numbers for the different categories, their categories strike me as strange:

"To arrive at our rankings, we calculated the percentage of people who are overweight, the percentage with type 2 diabetes, the percentage who haven't left the couch in a month, the money spent on junk food, and finally, the number of people who ate fast food nine or more times in a month."

Obviously there will be some correlation between not leaving your couch and being overweight, and eating a lot of junk food and being overweight. But if your goal is to find the fattest city, why would you use anything other than the first category (the percentage of people who are overweight)?

So two cities that have an equivalent number of overweight people, and one city spends more on junk food, so that one is fatter? Is someone who eats fast food 9 times a month fatter than someone who eats fast food 8 times a month?

I'm guessing someone had some interns with nothing to do, so made them crunch a bunch of numbers.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:03 PM

3,155 posts, read 10,356,227 times
I'm curious in how they came up with the junk food sales and fast food tallies for Durham. Did they interview Durham residents for this? Or did they go on sales numbers from stores?

We have lots of people who work in Durham (and eat lunch and buy snacks in Durham) but don't live in Durham.

Just wondering.

Old 05-05-2010, 07:42 PM

476 posts, read 1,596,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
We have lots of people who work in Durham (and eat lunch and buy snacks in Durham) but don't live in Durham.
We heard about the poll here in Cary so we secretly started buying all of our snacks & fast food in Durham to skew the numbers!

We didn't want to throw off our "best of" records! SHHH!

Old 05-05-2010, 07:56 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,375,509 times
A trip to Durham will surely show this to be true. There are just way too many fat people in Durham. I would say it mostly due to bad habits gained through the years of eating unhealthy foods. By the way.....I am one of the fat people myself.

Old 05-05-2010, 09:25 PM

140 posts, read 602,222 times
Yes! We've moved up on the list. I moved to Durham specifically because I wanted to be next to people fatter than I. Ipso facto I have actually gotten thinner since moving to Durham without having to go to the gym!

I love this town.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:34 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,747,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Machine Head View Post
Yes! We've moved up on the list. I moved to Durham specifically because I wanted to be next to people fatter than I. Ipso facto I have actually gotten thinner since moving to Durham without having to go to the gym!

I love this town.
LOL!!!

I'm with ya! I thought for sure Johnston county would be on the list!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary