Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2010, 09:56 PM

426 posts, read 1,488,125 times

Advertisements

Am I the only one shocked at the $460 price tag for the mailbox?!

Anyway, I agree with pp that they should be paying you and then recuping for their employee. Its a pretty sucky policy that the bus driver has to pay out of pocket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 01:13 AM

2,407 posts, read 10,664,324 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MammaLakn View Post
Sounds pretty reasonable to me. That's how much ours cost as mandated by our HOA.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:38 AM

2,001 posts, read 3,571,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCEMT View Post
I would call the police and have them right up an accident report. You had damage to personal property, did you happen to take pictures of the damage? Good Luck.
Not sure about the situation here, but the police won't come out to accidents where no one is hurt and there is minimal damage in Maryland when I lived there. Kinda a waste of there time IMO.

Old 05-11-2010, 07:54 AM

419 posts, read 1,394,352 times
Same thing happened to my neighbor in Johnston County. The bus drivers husband had to come out on the weekend and fix the damage but it was less than $100.

I'd suggest that write an e-mail to all the school board members. Copy the operations manager you spoke with as well as Don Haydon, head of facilities and operations for WCPSS (operations manager's boss). Outline the chain of events and conversations you've had just as you've done here. Be polite but make it clear that you shouldn't have to accept installment payments from someone who clearly is in no position to come up with the money.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:25 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,228,622 times
Quote:
No, I had the same thought. I imagine it must involve some masonary work perhaps? I sold my last car for only slightly more than the OPs mailbox!

The cost of the mailbox aside, I think this whole situation is silly. The school system should pay for the repairs and then deal internally with how the funds are collected. The homeowner is not at fault and should not be put in the middle of this situation.

I hope it works out for you.

Old 05-12-2010, 08:13 AM

578 posts, read 3,077,205 times
Quote:
I'm sure it's the cost of the actual mailbox, the fancy mailbox post, the numbering, and installation, etc. Most HOA contract specifically with a single sign/box company so they effectively have a contracted monopoly for that neighborhood. It's unlikely you could find an exact match yourself. I'm speaking from my own personal experience when I had to replace my mailbox after a service person I hired ran it over. I think mine was more like $350 installed which is *STILL* shocking considering it's a fairly standard looking black mailbox on a moderately fancy white post. The actual company and cost is usually listed right in the HOA rules booklet.

Old 05-13-2010, 11:49 AM

194 posts, read 489,316 times
Just to update you on my mailbox issue and I agree with everyone who is shocked by the $460.00 replacement...truly a monopoly.

The transportation board came back in a very timely fashion with the amount of $425.00 (basically 10% off for wear and tear of our existing box)

That sounded fair to us, as we were in no mood to haggle, just an unfortunate situation for the driver and a pain for us.

I have noticed the driver is a bit more careful and no longer does 3 point turns on our narrow street.

Thank you for all the input...and maybe I will open up a mailbox company?

Old 05-13-2010, 01:58 PM

1,106 posts, read 3,525,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3muskateers View Post

Thank you for all the input...and maybe I will open up a mailbox company?
Heck yeah. And you can hire me as a school bus driver so that I can keep you in business.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary