Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 08:58 AM

3 posts, read 3,762 times

Advertisements

We want to relocate from NJ and are looking for newer housing in a place where it's possible to make friends if you don't have kids. Plus we don't need to pay more for a house just because it's in a school district. And we aren't religious so we won't get to know people through church.

We'd like a large garage, wooded lot, near walking trails, near a Y or gym. Neither of us have to commute, but we'd like to be fairly close to the airport. Could you recommend a Durham neighborhood? Also intrigued by Hillsborough. Thanks for your help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 10:35 AM

10,728 posts, read 22,824,929 times
No Kidding is a social group specifically for people who don't have kids. They have get-togethers 1-2 times a month in addition to various events and group activities. Join their email list and check out when the next Happy Hour is--a very easy group to hang with, and you never have to worry about the conversation veering into potty training or preschool assignments!

Old 05-10-2010, 05:37 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,103,025 times
In Durham, the Duke Forest neighborhood should have what you're looking for.

Old 05-10-2010, 08:45 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times
moderator note:
thread relocated from the state forum
for better response

Old 05-10-2010, 08:51 AM
jgb

480 posts, read 1,343,789 times
I have kids and I'm met plenty of people from downtown Durham who seem to disapprove of that choice.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:45 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,602,345 times
SW Durham around Southpoint might be a perfect location. Will send you a Direct Message.

Old 05-10-2010, 09:49 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,343,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascaltastic View Post
We want to relocate from NJ and are looking for newer housing in a place where it's possible to make friends if you don't have kids. Plus we don't need to pay more for a house just because it's in a school district. And we aren't religious so we won't get to know people through church.

We'd like a large garage, wooded lot, near walking trails, near a Y or gym. Neither of us have to commute, but we'd like to be fairly close to the airport. Could you recommend a Durham neighborhood? Also intrigued by Hillsborough. Thanks for your help.
Woodcroft in SW Durham fits your description perfectly!

Oops, nevermind. It isn't new housing.

Old 05-10-2010, 02:06 PM

3,021 posts, read 11,058,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rascaltastic View Post

When you say "fairly close to the airport" what do you mean? Within 30 minutes? Or are you willing to drive 40 or 45 minutes?

My husband and I sound similar to you - fairly young, child-free, not particularly religious - so maybe I can help. We used to live in Hillsborough & now live in Durham. I think Hillsborough is an ADORABLE little town. I like the little shops on the main drag and I like the history. It's quaint. However, I also felt kinda stranded out there. When my husband and I lived in Hillsborough, it seemed like we were driving into Durham all the time to go shopping or see a movie or eat out. When it came time for us to buy a house, we decided to live closer to the things we enjoyed, so we moved to Durham. I still venture out to Hillsborough a few times a year to enjoy what it has to offer, but I don't have to live there and deal with the day-to-day inconvenience in order to enjoy what makes Hillsborough great. But that's just me.

We ended up in southern Durham (zip codes 27707 and 27713, although I'm in the area around Southpoint Mall). There is a good amount of new and new-er construction in this part of town, so it might suit your needs. It's a very convenient area, full of shopping centers, restaurants, and offices. I rarely have to go further than 2 miles away from my front door, whether I'm buying groceries, going to the movies, or seeing my doctor. Because of the highway connections here, I can be wherever I please within the Triangle in 30 minutes or less (The airport is about 15 minutes away). As for walking trails, there are public and neighborhood trails throughout the area. The most popular may be the American Tobacco Trail which runs north all the way up to the Bulls stadium in downtown Durham. I live in Woodcroft - a neighborhood that is about 20 years old and has at least 6 miles of wooded walking trails - but we certainly don't have a monopoly on such things! I don't go to gyms so I can't help you there.

North Durham might also have some great options for you. There has been plenty of new construction going on in that area over the last decade and I've heard good things from people who live in that area. I don't know enough about it to name specific neighborhoods that might have what you like, but maybe someone else can help there. Personally, I also love the areas just south and west of downtown Durham, but those are mostly older, well-established neighborhoods, so they might not suit your needs.

You can definitely find what you're looking for in either Durham or Hillsborough, but it's difficult to make specific neighborhood recommendations without knowing more information (price point, square footage, etc.).

Good luck!

Edit: Almost forgot to talk about friends! I highly recommend MeetUp.com. There are oodles and oodles of local groups there where you can meet great people. I've made some friends through regular ol' connections (work and hobbies) but I've also cultivated a nice collection of gal pals thanks to MeetUp. Give it a shot!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary