Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 01:18 PM

449 posts, read 699,723 times

Advertisements

This may be a silly question for long-timers here. And I can't find the answer online either, except for home composters (the answer there is NO).

Not sure the city uses some super-duper composting method, or is the answer NO there as well.

My instinct says NO too, but if I'm wrong, we could get in trouble for putting yard waste in the garbage bin.

Help?
Please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 01:38 PM

75 posts, read 237,946 times
Looking to discover hardware in your front yard? Sorry, clearly I only have experience with some other meaning of kudzu, because reading your post title made me lol.

I don't understand your question about yard waste disposal, so correct me if I'm misunderstanding. I live in Cary, so maybe it's the same for Raleigh.... we just have a separate garbage can for yard waste and they empty it on the same day that they empty trash and recycling. Some people put their grass clippings in yard waste bags (the big brown ones, you can get them from any hardware store like Ace).

Old 05-09-2010, 02:15 PM

111 posts, read 326,009 times
I would (and most places will tell you to) put any invasive plants in a sealed plastic bag in your landfill waste. But you are right, I can't find anywhere that says that for Raleigh or Cary... Anyone else have a link or something? Good question.

Old 05-09-2010, 02:16 PM

Smile Allow me to clarify, I'm not always the clearest writer

My question can be expanded to:

Can you dispose of cuttings (in this case the whole plant, including the crown which can regrow) of really invasive plants in the city yard waste containers?

Last edited by weblackey; 05-09-2010 at 02:17 PM.. Reason: bad grammar ;)

Old 05-09-2010, 03:34 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
Do they go through your yard waste and see what you have in there?

Old 05-09-2010, 04:31 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
I live just outside the city limits and we aren't on city waste disposal, but our company does say "NO YARD WASTE" on the bins. Still, I've snuck small plants in with the trash bags before. If it's a small amount, I'd go on and try it; the worst they could do is leave it behind? It's not like you haven't made an effort to find out what is allowed or not. If it's a huge amount, not sure what to tell you? Just chop it up and put a small portion each time?

Old 05-09-2010, 06:23 PM

111 posts, read 326,009 times
If you do searches for this sort of thing, other cities say something like "No Yard Waste, it is illegal to put yard waste in with the regular trash...EXCEPT there is exemption for invasive plants (invasive plants and plants listed as noxious weeds), which should be dried and sealed in plastic bags and put in with the regular landfill trash". Maybe it would be good to contact Raleigh Sanitation and ask directly? If I find out about Cary policy I'll post here later.

Old 05-10-2010, 06:41 AM

Default I did searches...

... and got the recommendations for composting in general, but thanks for looking yourself, and the additional info.

I plan to call the city of Raleigh today... just wanted to see if anyone else had experience with this issue here.

If I can get to this soon, I'll post the answer, if you get it first, please let us know! Who knows, there may be another clueless newbie searching for this in the future

Old 05-10-2010, 07:46 AM

645 posts, read 1,503,162 times
did you know you can actually EAT kudzu!!! Seriously it has nutritional value and tastes peppery.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sourc...9EppAO1hvav-4g

Old 05-10-2010, 08:34 AM

476 posts, read 1,676,465 times
Default Kudzu Chaos!

That stuff is INSANE... isn't it? You can practically watch it grow before your eyes like a time lapse progression! What about spraying it with "Round-Up" before you bag it? I know... Ugh, MORE chemicals!

I must say I am impressed by your concern though... most folks would not give it a second thought! Kudos to your Kudzu Koncern!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary