Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-09-2010, 01:55 PM

4 posts, read 7,395 times

Advertisements

Hi - 36 yo professional here looking to find homes of similar character and style to those in the Brier Creek community, but without a required country club membership or within a community that smacks of any sort of yuppie pretension. Looking in the 200-300 range, single family or spacious townhome, 3 BR... someplace convenient to RDU and RTP, suitable enough for two teenage boys who will frequently visit... any suggestions from anyone on this forum about where I might look? Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2010, 04:10 PM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
What is it about the Brier Creek homes that you like? Is it size, style, materials etc? I don't think the Brier Creek homes are all that special. When I was searching online, I recall seeing some developments by 540 & Leesville Road that were about 10 years old. I don't know about the HOA's. I do know there are many HOA's that don't enforce the HOA rules very strictly. Some only charge you $10/month instead of $100/month for some places.

I don't find a lot of "yuppie pretension" here, including in Brier Creek. Have you had some bad experience somewhere else that leads you to think this area is like that?

Old 05-09-2010, 06:56 PM

Posts on this forum lead me to believe that there may be "yuppie pretension." Maybe the posts are misleading. I'm not in the area, just looking to move there. So really, I don't know. I happen to really like a few of the designs in that neighborhood, but I'm not really interested in the "country club" lifestyle. Thanks.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2adifrentdrum View Post
Posts on this forum lead me to believe that there may be "yuppie pretension." Maybe the posts are misleading. I'm not in the area, just looking to move there. So really, I don't know. I happen to really like a few of the designs in that neighborhood, but I'm not really interested in the "country club" lifestyle. Thanks.
There are some good threads here about specific neighborhoods that I think you'll find interesting. Once you know that you are definitely moving here, I'd recommend posting again. People on this board are very helpful and would be glad to give you advice. There are so many different styles in the Triangle that you are sure to find what you are looking for. Many of the developments around here have been done in similar styles. The newer houses are all starting to look the same to me.

Old 05-09-2010, 07:42 PM

Thanks, zitsky. For sure, I am moving there. Is there a better way to post to get more detailed info? I appreciate your help so far...

Old 05-10-2010, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2adifrentdrum View Post
Thanks, zitsky. For sure, I am moving there. Is there a better way to post to get more detailed info? I appreciate your help so far...
Hi 2adifrentdrum, this is the best place to post. I'm sorry that this is starting to feel like a ping pong match. In asking more questions, I might have unintentionally given you the impression that this was the wrong place to ask. It's just there is so much real estate around here that it helps to know more about someone before making a suggestion.

You might want to look at the Hills at Southpoint (Carolina Collection) in Durham. I'm trying to post a direct link to it but the link feature isn't working quite right. If you go to (www dot tollbrothers dot com) you should be able to find it. I have a friend who just bought a place there and is closing in about a month. He seems very happy about it. It's done by Toll Brothers, the same builder that does the country club but the feeling is a lot more like a typical development. I think there might still be an HOA, but I don't think the fees would be as much as the country club. According to the siteplan, it appears to have a swimming pool and a basketball court. It might also have a small fitness center inside.

That development is very close to the Southpoint Mall. Everyone kept telling me about the mall and that area when I moved here. It took me about 6 months before I saw it but I liked it when I finally did. It has the usual bookstore, department stores (including Saks Fifth Avenue), restaurants (Maggiano's, etc) and so on. I think it's the nicest/best looking mall in the Triangle area, and I've been to most of the shopping areas here. There is also a Starbucks across the street.

You should definitely take a look at properties in Cary. There has been a lot of building there. I don't know specific developments that I can recommend. Some people don't like the place (me), but others are crazy about it. Even I'm starting to slowly warm up to Cary. My impression is that Cary has a more diverse mix of people than most of the other towns around here. Try finding people to practice Chinese with in Brier Creek. It's not too easy. Now in Cary, that would be a piece of moon cake.

I can recommend a great real estate agent who knows Cary very well. I'm not sure if I'm allowed to mention it, but we also have Moderator cut: no realtor recommendations, per the T.O.S., here on this board.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-10-2010 at 10:16 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary