Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-10-2010, 02:48 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,870,575 times

Advertisements

Agree on 18 Seaboard - Chef Jason is the owner, a young guy - he's awesome!

And like 518, I'm not a pizza person but the pizza they serve at the bar is excellent! The atmosphere is nice too!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2010, 02:53 PM

Cafe Luna staff and mgmt are very nice, food not too bad, but I was turned off when they asked me if I wanted Parmesan cheese and offered me the dried kraft brand stuff from a bowl, yuck! I was expecting if they were putting it on my food for me it would have been proper cheese. Not processed dried stuff.

Cafe Parizade in Durham puts 'em to shame....

Old 05-11-2010, 06:08 AM

376 posts, read 1,062,424 times
You've got lots of great suggestions here! The Pit. Sitti. I also love Sono (sushi) on Fayetteville St. (next to ABC 11 news). Modern, trendy atmosphere. $10-20 for lunch.

Old 05-11-2010, 08:06 AM

257 posts, read 713,379 times
Some co-workers and I ate lunch at Gravy last week. It was created by the owners of Bella Monica, which has the best Italian food I've had in RTP, and Gravy is another excellent place by the owners. Not a huge menu, but what is available is very good. No dress code that I could tell (most people in business casual, though we were in casual and felt fine), wasn't too crowded, and my meal with salad and tip was roughly $15. Probably have to park either on the street or in a nearby deck, though.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:03 AM

2,086 posts, read 7,644,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RaleighLass View Post
Cafe Luna staff and mgmt are very nice, food not too bad, but I was turned off when they asked me if I wanted Parmesan cheese and offered me the dried kraft brand stuff from a bowl, yuck! I was expecting if they were putting it on my food for me it would have been proper cheese. Not processed dried stuff.

Cafe Parizade in Durham puts 'em to shame....
Are you sure it was Kraft? Did you actually see them pour it in the bowl? My Italian great aunt, who cooked all of her Italian food from scratch including pasta, would always have a good size bowl of grated pecorino romano sitting on the table for the meal. In grated form it looks exactly like the Kraft stuff, but I can assure you it is not!

As for my suggestions, most everyone has already mentioned them! Love Jibarra, Sitti, The Pit, Duck and Dumpling, 18 Seaboard, Caffe Luna, 518. Another favorite is bu-ku on E Davie.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamiblue View Post
Are you sure it was Kraft? Did you actually see them pour it in the bowl? My Italian great aunt, who cooked all of her Italian food from scratch including pasta, would always have a good size bowl of grated pecorino romano sitting on the table for the meal. In grated form it looks exactly like the Kraft stuff, but I can assure you it is not!

As for my suggestions, most everyone has already mentioned them! Love Jibarra, Sitti, The Pit, Duck and Dumpling, 18 Seaboard, Caffe Luna, 518. Another favorite is bu-ku on E Davie.
I didn't see them pour it from the container but tasted it, I know the taste. And this wasn't grated it was powder, the color, texture and taste of Kraft. My first career was culinary, and I'm European and grew up on Italian, French, Danish, and GB cheeses. I am also one of the few people who supported Conti's Italian store on Person St. I used to drive to Durham to buy English cheese. I know good tasting cheese, and that stuff wasn't. I wondered if they ran out and used a substitute...I certainly saw that when I was in the field.

Old 05-11-2010, 10:44 AM

767 posts, read 1,848,089 times
If you go to the Pit, get the brisket! I didn't see Irregardless Cafe on here...its a good one. 18 Seaboard...yum!

Old 05-11-2010, 04:16 PM

7 posts, read 14,764 times
So many great suggestions.
If you're thinking of a cocktail w/ lunch Jibarra would be my choice!

Old 05-15-2010, 07:03 AM

86 posts, read 179,653 times
I brought him to the Pit. The atmosphere was very nice, but the food was very poor. I wish I picked a different place. The ribs were the toughest I have ever eaten and the food was bland.

Old 05-15-2010, 04:46 PM

398 posts, read 1,292,422 times
I would recommend going to Cameron Village. There are many places to eat, so you can let the realtor pick the place once you get there!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary