Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-13-2007, 02:25 PM

1 posts, read 4,944 times

Advertisements

After I both my home couple of months back, the builder placed a 10ft level spreader across my backyard making it pretty much useless. What would be effect of level spreader on my property value?

Attached to level spreader there is a 50ft riprain buffer which he says it as wetland.

Any suggestion to make this space useful and doesn't have major impact on my property value?

The builder agreed to make enhacement but he said he can't move it. Any engineering suggestion to make this space usefull?

Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2007, 05:58 PM

35 posts, read 237,850 times
What is a level spreader?

Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko20 View Post
After I both my home couple of months back, the builder placed a 10ft level spreader across my backyard making it pretty much useless. What would be effect of level spreader on my property value?

Attached to level spreader there is a 50ft riprain buffer which he says it as wetland.

Any suggestion to make this space useful and doesn't have major impact on my property value?

The builder agreed to make enhacement but he said he can't move it. Any engineering suggestion to make this space usefull?

Thanks.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:08 PM

20 posts, read 91,692 times
I was just wondering too. Had to look it up.
see:
http://www.engr.uga.edu/service/outreach/Stormwater%20BMP/LevelSpreadersOverview.pdf (broken link)
<quote?
Level spreaders are structures that are designed to uniformly distribute
concentrated flow over a large area. Level spreaders come in many forms, depending on the peak rate of inflow, the duration of use, the type of pollutant, and the site conditions.
All designs follow the same principle:
1. Concentrated flow enters the spreader through a pipe, ditch or swale.
2. The flow is retarded, energy is dissipated.
3. The flow is distributed throughout a long linear shallow trench or behind a low berm.
4. Water then flows over the berm/ ditch, theoretically, uniformly along the entire length.
The use of level spreaders is expected to grow as riparian buffer rules become
widespread throughout North Carolina. Riparian buffers are stream-side vegetated zones.
Buffer requirements state that a minimum of 50’ of vegetation must be preserved alongside streams from the top of stream bank. There are many rules regarding riparian buffers employed across much of central and eastern North Carolina.
<quote>

Sounds similar to a swale with a pile of rocks?

Can't you build a deck over it?

Old 06-13-2007, 07:27 PM

33 posts, read 118,933 times
Default Level Spreader in backyard

We almost purchased a house in Cary with a 15ft wide by 17ft deep level spreader in the backyard. We tried to work with the builder as well as the Town Engineers to alter the layout of the spreader. We were told that it could not be alter and that nothing could be built over or near it. We were also told that it is the owners responsbility to upkeep the area. Our level spreader ran right through the backyard only inches from the deck. Talk about a useless backyard and to think this house was being listing for the Low 500's.

We decided not to purchase this home because of the backyard and the possible resale.

I don't know if this helps you. If you have any further questions you can pm me.

Thanks,

Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 AM

1 posts, read 2,845 times
There is nothing you can do with it. I you touch the wetland or buffer in any way (even removing a dead tree) you could be fined or put in jail. You should have asked the builder to look at all the site plans before you purchased the property. This problem is due to your own lack of research.
By the way if there is a level spreader and a wetland in your back yard chances are your house and / or yard are built in the floodplane.

Old 11-21-2010, 08:00 AM

3,155 posts, read 10,757,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Likitisplit View Post
By the way if there is a level spreader and a wetland in your back yard chances are your house and / or yard are built in the floodplane.
In other states the seller has to disclose if the property is in a floodplain prior to closing. Does any know if that is the case here in NC?

Old 11-21-2010, 08:16 AM

43,291 posts, read 77,115,925 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PDXmom View Post
In other states the seller has to disclose if the property is in a floodplain prior to closing. Does any know if that is the case here in NC?
http://www.ncrec.gov/forms/rec422.pdf

Flood Plain discovery is part of Buyer due diligence.
The buyer's survey should include notation on existence of floodway or 100 year flood plain on the property. Buyer should always have their own survey done on new construction. For multiple reasons.

As the disclosure form indicates, the Seller can choose to legally mark "No Representation" and have made legitimate disclosure.
Sellers must not LIE and state there is no flood plain, if they know differently. And there is a section in the standard Realtors' form whre in the Seller attests, "To the best of Seller's knowledge..." and whether Seller does or doesn't carry flood insurance currently.
And, as noted, builders are exempt from this disclosure in new construction.
It becomes material if the structure is in the flood plain and will require flood insurance.

Many very desirable properties have a sliver of flood plain, or a corner that dips into flood plain, particularly since the last floodmap update.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary