Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 07:55 AM

1,484 posts, read 4,154,484 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoeMaui View Post
I thought NC would be like Florida and everyone would have a pool due to the heat. I was walking around a neighborhood earlier today in North Raleigh and noticed nobody had pools. Is there a town rule against it for some subdivisions or just a personal choice?
I just installed a pool myself in Wake county. You have to know if you have enough room from the setbacks of all property lines (zoning dictates this), stay 15 feet away from any part of the septic system and repair area (repair area is more flexable since it can be moved sometimes), need a fence. These are wake county standards, a local town might have different rules.

Since many people from different area are moving here many pools are going in since that is what some people are used to and some dont like community pools which are usually overcrowded on the best days.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2007, 08:41 AM

842 posts, read 3,228,552 times
Pools around here are considered a NEGATIVE because of the upkeep involved, and the safety concerns with children. I have no idea why this is the case in this part of the country.

Old 06-14-2007, 08:52 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd M. View Post
Going to agree with everybody and say that most people don't have pools because their sub-division has one. I would like to see our community pool open longer, but that wouldn't be a reason for me to ever install one on my back yard. I had a pool when we lived in Florida and I view them as money and time sucking black holes.
Hum........ I guess everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Even if my S/D happens to have one, I would still invest in the pool. Private, monitored, peaceful, etc. Public pool is certainly nice at times, but family time is also top on my list.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:33 AM

3,031 posts, read 9,084,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Pools around here are considered a NEGATIVE because of the upkeep involved, and the safety concerns with children. I have no idea why this is the case in this part of the country.

They're considered a negative in terms of property values in MA too, but that doesn't stop people from putting them in. I'd rather have access to a subdivision pool. Our town has a swim pond that is really very clean, but the older kids don't like it as much as the smaller ones. It is a great social venue for moms with small kids. When we moved in, summer of '97, that's how I met just about everyone in town.

Old 06-14-2007, 09:46 AM

13 posts, read 32,171 times
Expense is def an issue these days, but i do like vegging out on a hot night under the stars

Old 06-14-2007, 09:48 AM

104 posts, read 403,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Wow, I would never think it would be negative. In NJ its def positive selling point. Right now we are renting and have a community pool which is basically our own since nobody really uses it. But I think I would like to invest in a pool when we finally buy our "forever home."

Old 06-14-2007, 10:02 AM

3,021 posts, read 11,054,971 times
It would be interesting to hear from the realtors about this topic. I wonder how often they come across a buyer who must have a pool.

My parents (who do not live in NC, by the way) put in a swimming pool, but they didn't do it just for us kids and they certainly didn't do it as a financial investment. They did it because my mother loves to swim. She has a pool heater so that she can keep the pool open for half the year & she swims nearly every day during that time. As far as she's concerned, it's worth every penny.

And just so ya know, having your own swimming pool is also a great way to meet the neighbors. They'll be beating down your door ... especially the kids! The only problem is they may want to come over a little too often. At least, that's what my parents have experienced.

Old 06-14-2007, 11:10 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,616,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsSteel View Post
It would be interesting to hear from the realtors about this topic. I wonder how often they come across a buyer who must have a pool.

My parents (who do not live in NC, by the way) put in a swimming pool, but they didn't do it just for us kids and they certainly didn't do it as a financial investment. They did it because my mother loves to swim. She has a pool heater so that she can keep the pool open for half the year & she swims nearly every day during that time. As far as she's concerned, it's worth every penny.

And just so ya know, having your own swimming pool is also a great way to meet the neighbors. They'll be beating down your door ... especially the kids! The only problem is they may want to come over a little too often. At least, that's what my parents have experienced.
Good points! The pool is actually for all of us, not just the kids. Moving is going to be quite an ordeal for all of us, especially my 2 younger ones. They have always admired the kids in town with the pools, and yes, quite the popular place for a playdate! This, we are hoping may help with the "pain" of moving. Resale? that is really not my first priority right now. Trying to live for the moment, and what is good for all of us at the present time, not if and when we sell. Also, my husband loves the idea of a midnight dip, without the kids that is.

Old 06-14-2007, 12:44 PM

653 posts, read 2,986,218 times
I have had experience with clients who *had* to have a private pool, or at least the space and ability to install one. Strictly as an investment, in terms of building equity in the home, don't expect to get your money back. For resale, many buyers WON'T consider a house with a pool (for all the above reasons). However, with that knowledge, if you know that you would get the enjoyment out of it that several pp have mentioned, and aren't looking at your pool as an "investment", then definitely go for it!

Yes, have your realtor pull the covenants, talk to the board of the s/d you're considering before you put in your offer to see what their procedures are for getting permission. Get a copy of the seller's survey if at all possible before putting in your offer, to have a pool contractor look at the setbacks, easements, etc. and give you an idea what type of pool the property can handle (as well as how much it will cost!) If a recent survey isn't available, talk to your realtor about making the sale contingent on the property being able to accomodate whatever pool you're trying to install, then get the survey done during the inspection period.

The county websites have info on fencing requirements, etc. but the pool contractor will be able to give you that info as well, since they do it for a living. THEN, put in your offer on the house.

(I actually went through this last February - on a snow day, with my kids out of school, with clients from Florida, at a vacant house with no heat, waiting for a pool guy to come measure! Good times. )

Old 06-14-2007, 01:19 PM

55 posts, read 353,546 times
I personally will be buying a home with a pool or putting one in. Having a pool is one of the reasons I will be moving to a warmer climate.

I currently live in Flagstaff AZ and you don't have private pools here. At 7000 foot elevation summers are too short, nights too cool, and the ground volcanic.

Last Thursday night it got down to 28 degrees. I had to worry about my flowers never mind warming a pool.

The reason a pool is a top priortiy is I have a disabled daughter, 24, who just loves the water, not to mention the theraputic benefits.

I have always known a pool is not an investment. It is all about enjoyment and quality time with my children.

As I have to dress my daughter and she doesn't walk without assisstance it is too much work to take her to a community pool.

I miss the absolute joy on her face when she is in the water. If ya don't want to get your hair wet you have to avoid her..she loves to splash.

It is so cool to see her with a safety ring around her with her feet reaching the bottom of the pool and walking by herself. Brings happy tears to my eyes just thinking about it.

So quality of life overrides any return of investment. You can't put a price on it.

Oh not to mention skinny dipping at night in your own pool..lol.

Linda
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary