U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-12-2010, 02:11 PM

15,724 posts, read 19,758,556 times

Advertisements

I'm looking for information or a starting point to dealing with food allergies in the school setting.

Has anyone gone through the process with Wake County Schools?

I have 3 older children in the school now but none of them have allergies. My youngest will be starting Kindergarten in the fall and I'm not sure what the process is to have him identified.

I'm not militant in that I expect an allergy free environment for him, but I want to know how he will be protected and what their protocol is.

Does it vary from school-to-school or is there information on the wcpss website that I can read? I have done a search but can't seem to find anything except for the medication forms.

Thanks for any direction or information you can offer!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-12-2010, 02:19 PM

2,834 posts, read 11,445,976 times
From what I have seen it varies from school to school, and also varies depending on the severity of the allergy.

At my kids school, there have been kids with severe allergies, and so they controlled what was brought into the class for snack (the parents brought in group snacks, and only certain items were allowed). In the other classes, kids were able to bring in their own snack from home.

There is also an allergy table in the cafeteria, where children could eat without cross contamination.

But, honestly it all depends on the school. My nephew goes to a wake county school and all of the kindergarten classes have class snacks, from an approved list. It definitely varies.

leigh

Old 05-12-2010, 03:09 PM

932 posts, read 2,943,776 times
My son is a kindergartner with a peanut allergy and asthma. We had to get orders from his doctor for them to be able to administer emergency meds. It's a simple form the office can give you for your doctor's office to fill out. We learned about it during kindergarten orientation.

The school keeps an Epi-Pen and an emergency inhaler. They are great about letting me know when they expire and when we need new orders from the doctor. Thankfully, we've never had to use either. His peanut allergy isn't as bad as some children. He's been around peaunts and peanut butter without a reaction (Before we knew he was allergic.) His teacher is also great about it. At the beginning of the year she asked me how severe his allergies were and doesn't let him sit at a table with a child eating peanuts just in case.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:25 PM

75 posts, read 137,576 times
Who adminsters the medication to your child? Here in NYC every school has a nurse. I also have one child with bad asthma and will be moving to wake county in 2011.

Old 05-12-2010, 04:43 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,257,321 times
Keeping your food allergic child safe in the public schools

Old 05-12-2010, 06:17 PM

15,724 posts, read 19,758,556 times

Thank you so much for this link!

As for who administers the epi-pen, I do not think that each school has a nurse on-staff every single day. In our school the office staff act as the "nurse" when she is not in the building. They can administer basic first aid and medication.

Old 05-13-2010, 03:42 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,433,492 times
Lightbulb NC Faces

Check out NC Faces as a support group and to answer questions about schools and food allergies -> ncfaces222 (www)

NC FACES (Food Allergic Children Excelling Safely)

Old 05-13-2010, 05:35 AM

932 posts, read 2,943,776 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kidnurze View Post
Who adminsters the medication to your child? Here in NYC every school has a nurse. I also have one child with bad asthma and will be moving to wake county in 2011.
Our school nurse is there on a part time basis. If she isn't there, an office administrator can give it to him. I did make sure that everyone was well versed with the use of the Epi-Pen.

Old 05-13-2010, 10:17 AM

75 posts, read 137,576 times
oh that's good that someone can adminster it to him at all times!

Old 01-07-2013, 07:44 AM

105 posts, read 351,536 times
As from what I have worked with some teachers ,Any snack MUST come from a store no home made things, Work with your teacher , I like it that the children that bring a lunch no limits if our child can eat something then it is you to the parent to teach them ,and let other know but not force other to do with out , We when to PB free pre school and HATED it things , I know most have special spot in the café, We had many that were meat free etc and they just ate what they knew was for them .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary