Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-14-2010, 07:40 AM

2 posts, read 6,917 times

Advertisements

I am going to be going there soon and wold like to hear from anyone who has had a baby there.
good and bad
thanks

Last edited by hotpinkstef; 05-14-2010 at 07:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-14-2010, 11:18 AM

12,475 posts, read 32,236,574 times
I've had 4 babies there; however, my youngest is 16 so it has been a while!

I have nothing but good things to say about it. My first baby was in neonatal intensive care (I think that is what it was called) since he was born a month early. (Only thing THAT CHILD has EVER been early for). At that time, if we had gone to a different hospital, baby would have been sent to Wake Medical so I was happy to be there. We had no choice since hubby used to work at Wake Med. and our insurance dictated which hospital we went to! Not sure how all that has changed.

Vicki

Old 05-14-2010, 11:38 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,418 times
THe hospital was great but do not let the lactation consultants near you or your baby!!! They were terrible to the point I had them kicked out of our room.

Old 05-14-2010, 05:31 PM

101 posts, read 594,333 times
It will be two years tomorrow actually that my baby was transferred there into the NICU for 14 days. The NICU nurses were beyond fabulous!

As for the lactation consultants, I had very good experiences with them. This was my second child so I was an experienced nurser, but since this kiddo had breathing difficulties, they helped me find the best positions for her issues.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2010, 08:33 PM

133 posts, read 452,273 times
I had a horrible experience with my six week old son on the Peds floor eight years ago. So bad that I refuse to go back; however, my sister-in-law had a baby there last year and didn't have any problems.

Old 05-15-2010, 09:54 AM

932 posts, read 3,096,995 times
I had a c-section there with Dr. Karen Bash 4 years ago. She is absolutely terrible. She made comments about my previous c-section scar, while I was on the table and already numb. I tried to explain (again) why I was cut that way. She didn't listen and in the process of removing my son, she snapped his arm like a twig. I wouldn't let that woman preform surgery on my dog. She's with Wake Med Faculty Physicians and practices at WakeMed.

My son had to spend about a week in special care. I couldn't breastfeed because I could barely hold my son without hurting him. The lactation consultants were great with me and got me pumping in no time. The special care nurses were great, but the OB nurses left a little to be desired.

WakeMed did nothing for me as a mother. After my child was here they were great. They took great care of him; and I still take both of my boys to WakeMed when they need hospital care. I think giving birth should be made special and I didn't feel any of that at Wake. Especially after what happened. It felt like they went out of their way to be standoffish. I had a MUCH better experience at Rex with my older son.

Old 05-18-2010, 08:41 PM

906 posts, read 2,381,359 times
Wow, I'm sorry to hear about your experience GarnerMama. I've gone to Dr. Bash's practice for years but have never seen her. I've always had luck with the docs there.

As for WakeMed, I had my youngest there 10 years ago so it's been a while. But we had a very good experience there and I liked the fact that they had the NICU just in case we needed it. (Our first was born 6.5 weeks early because of preeclampsia so I was worried about my second pregnancy) Anyway, the nurses took great care of me and my son. We had a great experience.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:27 AM

2,834 posts, read 12,031,410 times
I had my two babies at wakemed cary which was fabulous! I have friends who have had kids at wakemed raleigh (or big wake as we call it) and their experiences were fine, none had to have c sections, so I cannot speak to that. But, it is a big hospital! With all of my friends, they seemed to have babies at a popular time, because they were always moved quickly out of the birthing center and onto a separate floor in the main hospital, so it did not have that great birthing center vibe!

They had births that were uncomplicated, so I cannot speak to that.

Leigh

Old 05-19-2010, 06:51 AM

1,515 posts, read 6,981,776 times
My sister went to Wakemed to give birth to my niece. Granted, this was back in 1994. She had complications which to this day, is something I really think they should have caught. I personally would not go to this particular hospital but I have heard good things about Rex.

Old 05-19-2010, 07:01 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,418 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taryn View Post
It will be two years tomorrow actually that my baby was transferred there into the NICU for 14 days. The NICU nurses were beyond fabulous!

As for the lactation consultants, I had very good experiences with them. This was my second child so I was an experienced nurser, but since this kiddo had breathing difficulties, they helped me find the best positions for her issues.

Good luck!
Glad you had a good experience with them. Unfortunately, our newborn son would not latch on and the lactation consultant took our childs head and smashed it onto my wife's breast repeatedly in a failed attempt to make him latch on. Not only hurting my wife but the child was less than a day old and the back and forth motion repeatedly in a very rough motion was not good for him.

She about got her arse kicked, and not by me!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary