Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 06:21 PM

4 posts, read 10,658 times

Advertisements

High Ridge Painting!!
www highridgepainting com

Old 09-29-2007, 01:01 PM

11 posts, read 31,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
Hi,

I need to find someone to paint my ~100 year old house in Raleigh. I'm specifically looking for someone who would strip the paint off the wood trim, could replace a bunch of rotted wood, and that I can trust with my house keys while I'm at work. My next-door neighbor had her house painted about 10 years ago, and the paint job is in better shape than mine, which I'm told was painted 3-4 years ago, but her guy isn't working in the area anymore. I'm more interested in finding someone responsible who will do a good job than in finding the cheapest price.
I had my house painted by RDH Paint. He doesnt have a website but does a fantastic job. PM me and i will give you his number.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:27 PM

1,232 posts, read 3,771,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by starla View Post
I need to find someone to paint my ~100 year old house in Raleigh.
It's been months since you posted, starla. How did you do on your findings? Did you go with any of the recommendations? Do you have pix that you can post? How do you feel about the job that was done? At what price?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waterboy526 View Post
We just got our house painted a few weeks ago. We used DAV-BAR painting out of knightdale.
Sounds like a great recommendation! I'll check them out since they do free estimates. We have an old 1928 home that needs a new coat. However, we want to make certain that the prep work is done right. Too many times, we've seen great 'looking' paint jobs go sour because of poor prep work. Nonetheless, I'll be checking out Dav-Bar right away. Hopefully, they service all of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve09 View Post
Home
Steve, though I checked out the site, I wonder how credible your recommendation since the first four, and only, posts of your involvement here on City-Data was simply a post about the painting company you are recommending. Do you work for them and what is your personal experience with them? Sorry, so far, this looks like spam and makes me want to avoid rather than call them.

Old 09-29-2007, 09:24 PM

86 posts, read 141,067 times
Your best bet is to gather several bids. Have the contractors provide references, prove of insurance, a demo of their typical contract.

Lead paint is required by law to be handled by licensed lead abatement contractors. Chip some paint off carefully with a putty knife and place a decent size chunk in a zip lock baggie. Take the sample to a lab named EMSL in Cary/Morrisville. They can run the sample in no time and it isn't expensive.

You need to confirm whether the covered paint lead based. If you hired a contractor tomorrow and didn't make them aware of the potential lead, than you would be "liable" for their potential health problems.

Could you believe this, that $4000 paint job might cost you millions in a settlement.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:00 AM

1,232 posts, read 3,771,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by believerofgod View Post
You need to confirm whether the covered paint lead based. If you hired a contractor tomorrow and didn't make them aware of the potential lead, than you would be "liable" for their potential health problems.
Though good advice, I personally would not try to instill fear in others on the off chance a contractor is going to isolate an individual residence to the source of any health problems. However, I imagine, since the profession is quite aware of the hazards, that such professionals, if concerned about health, would make testing a part of their procedure. Most homeowners are clueless to whether previous paint jobs carry lead and, if left undisturbed from sanding (thus particles being inhaled), painting over it isn't a problem. I imagine that's another reason for pressure washing these days. Nonetheless, it is my guess that most houses built prior to the seventies have lead paint as their base, and most contractors are aware of this fact.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:14 PM

549 posts, read 1,480,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeJaquish View Post
It is an old thread, but if I wanted a 100 year old home painted, I would canvas the neighborhood, assuming there are more 100 year old houses, find the ones with the best looking paint, and ask who did it.

Lead paint, yes, a consideration.

And I wonder if I would not prefer to have it hand-painted, the way it was done 100 years ago instead of sprayed.
Those are both great recommendations. I asked my neighbors for a recommendation, and they all appear to use the same guy, though nobody seemed really happy with him. He painted my house about four years ago (before I owned it) and it's already peeling from the windows and trim. I called him to get an estimate anyway, just as a reference point to compare other people to. He showed up one day early and wanted to do the estimate then. I was busy and said no. Then he didn't show up the morning I had scheduled (I took time off work for this), and then just popped in again that Saturday and Sunday!! Obviously, I am not hiring him.

As for having it brushed on, my house is covered in asbestos shingle at the moment. Paint doesn't really peel from it, so having it brushed on would be a waste of money IMO. Though if I could find someone to brush it on my trim and spray it on the shingles, that would be great.

Old 10-14-2007, 01:18 PM

549 posts, read 1,480,392 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliBoy View Post
It's been months since you posted, starla. How did you do on your findings? Did you go with any of the recommendations? Do you have pix that you can post? How do you feel about the job that was done? At what price?

Sounds like a great recommendation! I'll check them out since they do free estimates. We have an old 1928 home that needs a new coat. However, we want to make certain that the prep work is done right. Too many times, we've seen great 'looking' paint jobs go sour because of poor prep work. Nonetheless, I'll be checking out Dav-Bar right away. Hopefully, they service all of Raleigh-Durham-Chapel Hill.

Steve, though I checked out the site, I wonder how credible your recommendation since the first four, and only, posts of your involvement here on City-Data was simply a post about the painting company you are recommending. Do you work for them and what is your personal experience with them? Sorry, so far, this looks like spam and makes me want to avoid rather than call them.
No, I have not had it done yet. My intention was to have it done around this time of year. However, with the drought dragging on as it is, I am loathe to waste precious water on pressure washing my house when it's not urgently needed.

I got a quote from Dav-Bar and I will probably be going with them. They also got a good rating on Angie's list, and they were by far the most professional people to give me a quote. They have been very good about answering all my questions (I'm a n00b when it comes to home maintenance, so I have many) which gives me a good feeling. I'm just waiting for some blasted rain to come before I go ahead with it.

Moderator cut: Use Direct Message for Recommindations

Last edited by SunnyKayak; 10-14-2007 at 11:33 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary