Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-19-2010, 12:53 PM

16 posts, read 66,114 times

Advertisements

Greetings!

I took my car in yesterday to get a cover replaced on a part of my engine because oil was leaking. There was also the possibility that other fluids might be leaking. The mechanic suggested that I go get the engine professionally cleaned (on the outside of it). He said that some car washes have an optional engine clean upgrade, but he didn't give me any examples. The reason he says he suggested this is because there is some residue on the engine he said and if I get it cleaned, that way when I come back for the next oil change, it will be obvious if there are any other leaks or not by how clean the engine is. It seemed logical to me, and the thing does look kind of dirty, so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to where to get this done and how much it might cost.

Thanks!

Fr. Anastasios
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2010, 01:23 PM

515 posts, read 1,716,837 times
Don't waste you money on "professional" clean. Go to the carwash, wash the engine off at teh do it yourself wash and viola, clean!! I do it all the time.

Old 05-19-2010, 01:57 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Just use a water hose, soft-bristle brush, and some Simple Green diluted 1:1. I wouldn't use a pressure washer under the hood. Pressure washers tend to push the water into the electrical connections.

Old 05-19-2010, 03:09 PM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Just use a water hose, soft-bristle brush, and some Simple Green diluted 1:1. I wouldn't use a pressure washer under the hood. Pressure washers tend to push the water into the electrical connections.
I have used pressure washers tons of times under the hood of cars with no issues at all.

Old 05-19-2010, 04:08 PM

9,680 posts, read 27,165,555 times
Be careful. Water in the wrong places can cause much electrical grief.

Get it done right.

Old 05-19-2010, 05:26 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
There are sprays that coat your engine, then you gently spray off. They are generally of the foaming type.

Available at any auto parts store.

What was leaking? Valve cover?

Old 05-19-2010, 05:45 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,935,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fr Anastasios View Post
Greetings!

I took my car in yesterday to get a cover replaced on a part of my engine because oil was leaking. There was also the possibility that other fluids might be leaking. The mechanic suggested that I go get the engine professionally cleaned (on the outside of it). He said that some car washes have an optional engine clean upgrade, but he didn't give me any examples. The reason he says he suggested this is because there is some residue on the engine he said and if I get it cleaned, that way when I come back for the next oil change, it will be obvious if there are any other leaks or not by how clean the engine is. It seemed logical to me, and the thing does look kind of dirty, so I was wondering if anyone had a suggestion as to where to get this done and how much it might cost.

Thanks!

Fr. Anastasios
Go to car wash and use pressure washer,I did mine today at home with my pressure washer,just routine I do.I use to wash mine all the time in car wash.

Old 05-19-2010, 06:46 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,841,368 times
I used to enter my classic cars in car shows, and I am quite versed in detailing as a result. Get engine cleaner from the auto parts store, and get a steam shark II from Sears. Spray the foaming cleaner on, heat the steamer up and use the attached wand to steam everything off. You want to warm the engine up prior to aplying the cleaner as it will greatly help remove the grime giving a warm surafce to begin with. It will take roughly an hour so depending on how dirty it is, but it will work miracles. Pressure washing....done it many times but the risk of it getting into your electrical or distributor cap is a real possibility. It is also possible, though rare, to push water into the cylinders themselves. Water does not compress and you will learn all about hydro-locking if it happens to you. (new engine)
Best of luck!

ps - I used this a lot for my Jeep CJ7 as well....they have infallible reputations as oil leakers and it helped me keep track of them all lol.

pss - You will LOVE a steam shark. It can be used for all sorts of cleaning. (showers come to mind....use mine all the time there)

Old 05-20-2010, 07:39 PM

3,644 posts, read 8,580,857 times
Quote:
Pressure washing....done it many times but the risk of it getting into your electrical or distributor cap is a real possibility. It is also possible, though rare, to push water into the cylinders themselves. Water does not compress and you will learn all about hydro-locking if it happens to you. (new engine)
Lol, I tried to warn 'em.

Old 05-21-2010, 05:43 AM

515 posts, read 1,716,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by underPSI View Post
Lol, I tried to warn 'em.
Have used commercial car wash since the 80's and have never had an issue. you do not aim at one spot and no problems
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary