U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-20-2010, 11:35 AM

2 posts, read 5,290 times

Advertisements

I am currently in the market for a new home in Durham, NC. I visited the Belcrest Community in Southwest Durham and like the ranch plans that are available. My concern is the location of the neighborhood off of the very busy Fayetteville Street. Has anyone bought in this neighborhood or visited this location? I am curious of others thoughts on this community.

Thanks!
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2010, 03:45 PM

35 posts, read 150,087 times
I was wondering the same thing! We own a KB home now and love it, but are looking for something bigger. Anyone in that area that can tell us pros and cons?

Old 06-14-2010, 04:59 PM

2,698 posts, read 11,177,385 times
Not a bad location, but I feel bad for any owners who bought in back when that development was a Centex development and the houses were going for $600K+. From what I know, Centex went bust and KB went around buying up the rest of their developments all over the place. This is one of them.

There was a story a few months back about the police shooting a guy in or near that development. Not sure what the whole story was or even if it is something to be concerned about, but something to know.

Fayetteville Street can be a REAL pain, especially after it bottles down to one lane and especially at the wrong time of day. That's something you'll always have to deal with. On the plus side, you're minutes away from anything you could ever want/need.

Also, check into the schools that area would feed into. I don't think it would feed into Jordan, which from what I hear, is the high school to go to in this area.

Don't get me wrong, though. I like SW Durham a lot (I should hope so since I live there). But that development really doesn't 'do it' for me. Too close to the big streets without enough privacy or alternate routes in or out. If you like the area, check out Hope Valley Farms, Woodcroft, or any of the other already-established developments up around Lowe's. More of a 'sure thing' if you ask me.

Mike

Old 06-14-2010, 09:35 PM

306 posts, read 1,080,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
Not a bad location, but I feel bad for any owners who bought in back when that development was a Centex development and the houses were going for $600K+. From what I know, Centex went bust and KB went around buying up the rest of their developments all over the place. This is one of them.

Mike

What an utter bunch of BS.

1- Centex didn't go bust. They got bought out by Pulte. The combined company is now the largest in the nation. All the Centex neighborhoods around the Raleigh area are still under the Centex name.

2- Houses weren't going for 600K+ at Belcrest. They were around the 300s.

Personally, I thought the location, the ranch style floor plans and price point would be a winner. I'd have liked to live that close to Southpoint. For some reason, Centex just didn't have that many sales and the lots got sold to KB. This happens routinely in that business. KB sold poorly in Wynbrooke in North Raleigh, sold the lots to MI who killed it

Old 06-15-2010, 06:29 AM

2,698 posts, read 11,177,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big M View Post
What an utter bunch of BS.

1- Centex didn't go bust. They got bought out by Pulte. The combined company is now the largest in the nation. All the Centex neighborhoods around the Raleigh area are still under the Centex name.

2- Houses weren't going for 600K+ at Belcrest. They were around the 300s.

Personally, I thought the location, the ranch style floor plans and price point would be a winner. I'd have liked to live that close to Southpoint. For some reason, Centex just didn't have that many sales and the lots got sold to KB. This happens routinely in that business. KB sold poorly in Wynbrooke in North Raleigh, sold the lots to MI who killed it
slightly off on the figures. generally right on the story. sue me.

Mike

Old 09-21-2010, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 3,200 times
Anyone considering buying a KB home, needs to have inspector and make sure that they pay attention to the flashings around windows, doors and roofs. There are some KB Homes with leaking roofs and they are very unresponsive. The only way to reach them is email or fax, and they do not respond leaving home owner stuck.

Old 09-21-2010, 07:35 PM

673 posts, read 2,165,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post
slightly off on the figures. generally right on the story. sue me.

Mike
I'm with Big M, and I usually enjoy your posts, Mike.

Centex did not go bust and was actually in pretty good financial shape (considering the economy) when they were acquired by Pulte.

As for Belcrest, I believe that if the development were in a better location, the homes probably would have sold better. Even with KB Homes now in that development, the homes appear to be selling very slowly.

The Grandale subdivision in SW Durham has had regular, consistent sales, and the subdivision is down now to less than 5 opportunities for new construction, and everything is continuing to sell under the Centex name. If Centex had gone "bust," as you mentioned, homes would no longer be selling under the Centex name.

Old 09-22-2010, 09:22 AM

50 posts, read 89,985 times
I wouldn't worry about the traffic on Fayetteville too much. My money says that there will be a traffic light at that intersection within a year, so turning onto Fayetteville won't be too difficult. Also, Woodcroft Parkway lets you avoid the string of traffic lights closer to I-40 if you want. Personally, I might avoid the lots that back onto Fayetteville, but the street noise should drop rapidly as you get into the development.

I have a website with some basic information about the neighborhood on my website -- the link is in my profile. Follow the "neighborhoods" tab on top and you'll find it. It's a prototype, so I'd appreciate comments!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:46 AM
T|K

877 posts, read 2,339,114 times
I can only imagine it is only a matter of time until Fayetteville become a 4 lane road around there. Like Steve said, if looking there, I would look towards the back of the neighborhood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary