Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 12:03 PM

7,573 posts, read 10,588,049 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
When I was a teenager living in the Poconos, I heard a noise on the front steps of my house. So I went and opened up the door, and there was a blackbear standing in front of me face to face. Our faces were about 2 feet apart, and was separated by only a screen. We stared at each other for about 20 seconds (he was apparently as shocked as I was), and then the bear slowly turned around and walked away.

It was a surreal experience staring into the eyes of a black bear.
I can't even imagine. My 10 year when he was 4 years old at the time, was pressing faces with a bear cub through our sliding glass doors. Not even the slightest afraid of the animal, my son said 'RRAAHH", and the cub took off! Actually was quite amusing. Prior to that, the cub swam in our pool to cool off, chewing on the floaty devices. I've heard it said that the bears that run from any kind of loud noise, are the ones you don't have to fear, but the ones that stay around even after a loud noise, like an airhorn, those are the ones to stay clear of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 12:43 PM

842 posts, read 3,221,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
What are fire ants?
Oh wow....you do not want to be living in North Carolina without recognizing fire ants. They're nasty little things....they'll swarm all over you if you disturb their mounds. Look up information on them in Wikipedia. I'm scared to death about letting my daughter play in our yard because of them.

What you want to look out for are mounds in your lawn that look like this...

Typically, they're about basket-ball sized mounds. I've successfully eradicated them several times using fire ant bait from hardware stores, but after a few months, they migrate back onto my property. Wake County is currently at the northern border of their range, and the southern part of the county is infested with them. If you drive down US-64 towards Pittsboro, you can see mounds all along the highway every 5 to 10 feet or so. They're everywhere.

Old 06-15-2007, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbognar View Post
Oh wow....you do not want to be living in North Carolina without recognizing fire ants. They're nasty little things....they'll swarm all over you if you disturb their mounds. Look up information on them in Wikipedia. I'm scared to death about letting my daughter play in our yard because of them.

What you want to look out for are mounds in your lawn that look like this...

Typically, they're about basket-ball sized mounds. I've successfully eradicated them several times using fire ant bait from hardware stores, but after a few months, they migrate back onto my property. Wake County is currently at the northern border of their range, and the southern part of the county is infested with them. If you drive down US-64 towards Pittsboro, you can see mounds all along the highway every 5 to 10 feet or so. They're everywhere.
They sound nasty. Can they be kept under control with yearly visits from the exterminator? Kind of the way termites are handled?

Old 06-15-2007, 01:05 PM

842 posts, read 3,221,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeannie216 View Post
They sound nasty. Can they be kept under control with yearly visits from the exterminator? Kind of the way termites are handled?
I'm not an exterminator, so take my information with a grain of salt....

I've had an exterminator come out and treat the mounds before, and the treatment didn't do anything.

But I've been able to get rid of them very successfully using AMDRO file ant bait (which they carry back into the nest) and somewhat successfully using fire ant poison granules (which seems to kill most of them, but also seems to cause the hive to migrate too).

Unfortunately, I can't go through everyone's lawn in my neighborhood and treat every mound I see. So the fire ants eventually return after a couple of months.

Old 06-15-2007, 04:20 PM

578 posts, read 3,074,277 times
Poor, poor jeannie216. Probably frozen scared in her computer chair right now!

Everyplace has "stuff". I'm sure where you live now has "stuff" and you've never seen it yourself. Same down here.

So far I've seen birds, squirrels (but suprizingly not a lot of them), and one rabbit, and some road kill deer.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gastric View Post
Poor, poor jeannie216. Probably frozen scared in her computer chair right now!

Everyplace has "stuff". I'm sure where you live now has "stuff" and you've never seen it yourself. Same down here.

So far I've seen birds, squirrels (but suprizingly not a lot of them), and one rabbit, and some road kill deer.
Yep.......frozen stiff. I'll be sure to invite you over to our next swim party when our neighborhood bear decides to take a dip again in our pool.

Old 06-15-2007, 05:54 PM

4,606 posts, read 7,666,249 times
UG. fireants. pesty lil buggers. Thankfully we do not have hoards of them here like we used to near the coast.
We have snakes, frogs, turtles, fish in the pond, 1 pair of wood ducks, deer, a doe that comes everyday and she bought her baby with her yesterday (cutie pie), bats, squirrels, raccoons, opposums, owls, bats, fox, tons of songbirds and hummingbirds, vultures, red tail hawk, coopers hawk (took out a mourning dove the other day, ) and I am sure I am missing somebody, lol. Oh yeah and my neighbors cat, sheesh she is a pest going in my flower beds.

Old 06-15-2007, 09:43 PM

850 posts, read 3,618,735 times
Oh Jeannie....fire ants you want to stay away from. Their bite is like a bee sting and they can bite over and over again. Some are very allergic (my father is) and they tend to swarm and are aggressive if they feel threatened (like if some 8 year old whacks the top off their mound while his mom is screaming at him to stop). ;0

Anyhow, we use the bait stuff someone was talking about AMDRO (dh buys it so am not up on the name) but it works. One problem living in our area is that everytime they clear a new lot, the population of fire ants and ticks seems to increase in OUR yard.

We've seen lots of frogs, turtles and lizards. We see fox, deer, snakes (not often), rabbits, owls (hear them mostly). I've been told there might be bobcat around as we live next to this tract of swamp like land that goes for miles but I've never seen them.

We've also been attacked by tent caterpillars but I seem to be the only one bothered by the hundreds of caterpillars descending on my front porch (I was out there 3 times a day squirting them all away with the hose)

Lauren
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary