Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 06:59 AM

17 posts, read 48,064 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I would appreciate any info that is offered. I currently live in Florida relocated from NY 3 years ago and the Heat is KILLER! What is the temp like in summer/winter ( always hot here)? What r the average taxes on a $250,000 home? House insurance? Just starting my research.

Is clayton a good area or should I focus on Cary?

I would like a family oriented community. I have a 3 year old and 6 month old. Any suggestions or links I could research would be so appreciated. I do not want to live in the boonies, but do not want to spend too much $$.

School district is also important.

THANKS for any help you can offer.
Kelly
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 07:16 AM

13 posts, read 32,171 times
I Also Am In Need Of Information, I Am Going Down The 4th Of July Week To Check Things Out,

Old 06-15-2007, 07:47 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellster View Post
Hi,
I would appreciate any info that is offered. I currently live in Florida relocated from NY 3 years ago and the Heat is KILLER! What is the temp like in summer/winter ( always hot here)? What r the average taxes on a $250,000 home? House insurance? Just starting my research.

I would like a family oriented community. I have a 3 year old and 6 month old. Any suggestions or links I could research would be so appreciated. I do not want to live in the boonies, but do not want to spend too much $$.

Kelly
Kelly,
The two towns are somewhat different.
They appeal to various people because of the differences.
Cary is suburban in most respects. So is Clayton, but Clayton is much more rural.
Your choice.

Cary schools are great.
Wake County runs all the schools. Wake County Public School System
You can buy a decent home in Cary within your price range, in the immediate vicinity of great schools.
You can also buy a decent home in Clayton within your price range, and probably for a little less than Cary. Johnston County runs their school district, and I can't tell you much about it.

Old 06-15-2007, 07:53 AM

546 posts, read 2,416,801 times
Both areas are different but good. Where you would be happy depends on your preferences. I think you need to visit to get the lay of the land...

Old 06-15-2007, 07:54 AM

17 posts, read 48,064 times
Smile Moving to cary/clayton

Thanks,
How are the taxes? Insurance?
Any specific communities you could recommend in cary?
THanks a MILLION
Kelly

Old 06-15-2007, 08:04 AM

1,886 posts, read 4,813,458 times
Cary and Clayton are very different in just about every way.

Clayton is definitely up and coming. Cary is already there.

$250K will go a lot further in Clayton than in Cary in terms of square footage and lot size.

Clayton has a "Country" feel to it. This is also reflected in shopping and restaurant choices. Cary considers itself (and is to some degree) a lot more upscale.

If you spend one day driving around each town, you'll know immediately which one speaks to you-they are THAT different.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:08 AM

43,266 posts, read 77,043,330 times
Quote:
Thanks,
How are the taxes? Insurance?
Any specific communities you could recommend in cary?
THanks a MILLION
Kelly
Cary Property taxes are about 1.05% of the Wake County Assessed Tax Value of the home. That is NOT the same as Market Value. Most of the time, the tax value is about 2/3 of the Market Value.
So $250,000 home x 2/3 = $166,000 or about $1700 annual property taxes. This is not exact. Could be more. You won't buy without knowing the previous year and present year taxes. And, 2008 is Wake County reassessment year. We reassess every 8 years. Everyone pretty much expects an increase of up to 5% or so.

Note: We are talking existing homes, not new.
Nearly too many neighborhoods to mention them all. Park Village, some MacArthur Park areas, Arlington Ridge, Trappers Run, Dutchess Village, Northwoods area, Lansdowne, Fieldstone Village, Linville Ridge, Scottish Hills, Kildaire Farms, and on and on.

Most of what you will see new in Cary for $250,000 will be townhomes. Upchurch Farms comes to mind immediately. Community pool and the subdivision backs to Davis Drive Schools, which are very highly sought.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:15 AM

5,524 posts, read 9,935,880 times
As someone who lives in Clayton I can tell you that you will get much more for $250k than you will in Cary. It was stated above but $250 in Cary is a decent townhome. In Clayton its a single family home with a minimum 2300+ sq feet and good upgrades. Look into Lennar or Greg Johnson homes. Lennar builds homes their and what you see is what you get. You cannot upgrade anything as they basically build every house the same but you pick patterns and colors yourself.

Greg Johnson homes comes with a lot of upgrades, wood floors, granite and iron rails and are pretty close to that price range, maybe a little more depending on the neighborhood. Depending on where you work though could be a different story as to where you want to live.

Old 06-15-2007, 08:16 AM

229 posts, read 1,053,917 times
Default Clayton vs. Cary

Quote:
Hi,

Kelly
Temperature: Just this week we had temperatures in the 70s but we'll be in the mid 90s by the weekend. We do have high humidity in July and August.
Average taxes: Mike mentions average taxes. One point-taxes are based on a 2000 assessment so, for resale, they will be lower than the purchase price. However, we are up for a reassessment in 2008.
Homeowner's Insurance On a $250k home you'll pay, on average, in the $700 range.
Clayton or Cary I've worked with clients in both cities and they are very different. Cary schools are in Wake County. Clayton in Johnston county. You can check the school scores at Wake County Public School System for Wake County. Clayton is much more affordable.

I hope this helps.

Old 06-15-2007, 10:02 AM

217 posts, read 799,941 times
We looked at both areas and chose Clayton...personal reasons but a big part of it was the issues with Wake county schools. I don't want YR but I also don't want my daughter shipped to a school clear across the county either. Clayton seems more down to earth and laid back then Cary. I don't want the "have to compete with the Jones's" type community...of course since we are Jones's then you will have to compete with us..lolololol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary