Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-23-2010, 06:57 AM

86 posts, read 179,598 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddeel View Post
hey. where are all my friendly helpers? I've got to pick by morning. I'm not trying to insult any schools but I did read here about violence at Dillard Dr schools so... I need to make the right choice for my boys.
Get yourself a 3 month rental and think about it a bit longer. You are about to make a mistake by making a decision under pressure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 06:29 AM

4,596 posts, read 11,445,190 times
Ah, but we are in the same dilemma, it seems. Funny, but your post seemed a little 'backwards' to me. We have found that our housing dollar goes further in Holly Springs -- many of the newer neighborhoods feature many of the very same houses built here, constructed by the same builders, at considerably lower prices. Because we have some concern with resale, we have really prodded our buyer's agent with a lot of questions. She contends Holly Springs is the 'up-and-coming Cary,' and that seems to have been my own impression.

For now, Cary seems to have better resale, but I am not sure if it actually offsets the cost of homes in the two areas. We are having a tough time reaching a decision, ourselves, but for very different reasons. We really, really enjoy this neighborhood where we are, and our wonderful neighbors. I'm having to decide if my neighbors, and some of the amenities where we are, like the neighborhood pool, are worth the $70,000 difference in price of a home -- same square footage, many of the same features.

Some of the neighborhoods, developed in the late 1980s - early 1990s, have matured nicely, too. Larger lots, and a bit more yard, which appeals to us (unless it is too much yard for us to want to maintain). The only drawback I have been made aware of has to do with the schools in the area, of which I know very little. We no longer have to consider schools, but I do understand the concern of parents. Check out the WCPSS website and look at the NCDPI 'report cards' for the schools in the area(s).

I was most surprised to discover that Holly Springs is easily accessible to a lot of areas, much like Cary is, and the completion of I540 will make getting to some areas in the general Raleigh area easier to access.

Old 05-24-2010, 06:38 AM

194 posts, read 490,591 times
I completely agree with Marietta Man. We moved her in 2008 (Aug) and so many of the threads helped me, but also confused the heck out of me. My husband and I decided (even though it was a pain in the neck with 3 kids and a baby on the way) to rent for a year in the preferred school district and take our time (OUR REALTOR WAS NOT HAPPY!!!) but we did not care.

What and eye opener that year was...we got in our favorite neighborhood that a yr previously we couldn't touch, the schools we desired and saved at least $50,000.

Take your time, it is the most important decision and you want to love most of what you buy. Realize you will have to make sacrifices, but try to at least get your top priorities!

Good luck!

Old 05-24-2010, 01:50 PM

93 posts, read 163,970 times
The other thing to perhaps consider is there is serious growth potential in Holly Springs vs. not so much in Cary. Cary has gotten pretty big already and that has it's pluses and minuses. I think in a few years time you may have something similar to Beaver Creek along 55 which would give you more shopping/dining options closer to home.

Old 05-24-2010, 03:22 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justthe6ofus View Post
My friend lives in a neighborhood that backs up to Womble park baseball fields. She has no homes behind her which is great and she does not get any traffic issues because she is off the main rd to the park.

She has a prime location for attending all the festivals and all her kids sporting events as almost all rec sports take place at Womble.

If you have children, I would JUMP at the chance to back up to the baseball fields. My kids would live on those fields if they could. We do okay with them playing in our cul-de-sac but they are getting older and would love more space.

Good luck with your choice!
My kids would love it too...I have a feeling our kids have played a few games together....but I could be wrong...

Old 05-24-2010, 05:54 PM

1,361 posts, read 2,271,468 times
I think we picked Holly Springs--just liked the feel of it and no worries about what might change or stay the same at the Cary schools (I have to admit the article in the paper yesterday might have played a part of that :-) Now, however, the owners freaked at our offer and wouldn't move off their list price. That gave me time to reconsider the problems I have with the house--tiny bedrooms and kitchen--plus we were stranded in Atlanta making everything seem really annoying (not Atlanta--just the stranded with 2 grouchy kids).

On our agents report I spotted a house in Oak Hall. The yard is ugly which is why I'd ignored it but it has better space for us and some really nice upgrades inside. Our agent checked it out today and we are actually thinking of making an offer with an option period giving my husband time to fly back and check it out. Any thoughts on Oak Hall? I saw some good things about it but the posts were from several years ago. The street is in the front of the neighborhood so not near 55 but behind a ton of trees is Main Street. I'm curious if that could go commercial and if it is noisy.

Renting is an option but not a pleasant one since our son is already upset about moving schools once. With our closing looming on June 7 it may be our only choice though--drat!

Old 05-24-2010, 09:52 PM

345 posts, read 1,059,955 times
Main St. in Holly Springs is business 55, and it is commercial. I'm not sure if the buffer between Oak Hall and Main St. is part of Oak Hall, or owned by someone else, but you can find out by doing a search on the Wake County GIS website. The businesses across from Oak Hall are small though, no "big box" type stores, or bars that are open 'til all hours. Most of those businesses close fairly early.

You might check the Town of Holly Springs website for any plans for future development for the land that is just north of Oak Hall, on the same side of Main St. as the neighborhood. There is a body shop there now, not sure if they have anything on the drawing board for the near future or not. If the house is not on the far north end of the development, that might not affect you. Good luck!

Old 05-25-2010, 04:15 PM

10,981 posts, read 6,852,461 times
Don't go for the yard you hate, you'll regret it!

As a woman I would choose Holly Springs and the amazing yard, and the general area. I've been looking in that area because a child of mine recently moved to the area. Holly Springs is a very nice area, up and coming, plus it looks like the trees and distance will buffer baseball noise, and there don't appear to be parking spaces nearby so it all seems good. Hope you chose that house.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:44 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,368 times
My kids go to HS Elementary...good school with good ratings. You really can't go too wrong in Holly Springs with schools.

Old 05-26-2010, 02:10 PM

15,714 posts, read 21,063,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoisbetter View Post
My kids would love it too...I have a feeling our kids have played a few games together....but I could be wrong...
Did you just get a new dog? I think I know who you are too
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary