Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2014, 08:55 AM

2 posts, read 2,595 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiCaffo View Post
My daughter (very high functioning - a grade level above age academically) is in a very small private program which we are thrilled with. Arts and experiental based, each student gets social skills curriculum and individual academic curriculum so they can go at whatever pace works for them. 5:1 student teacher ratio. They also accept neurotypical gifted students.

Like I said we absolutely love it, but it is private, not public (although not crazy expensive live many we looked at). I can send details, just private message me.

I am most interested in the school program you have found for your child we have been looking at the Mariposa school and we shocked at he price to say the least. Any, help would be greatly appreciated...our son is also academically above grade average and is very high functioning...wouldn't it be a great thing when finding information for our children was easier and less frustrating

Sincerely,
Christy Clark Eskridge
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2014, 10:51 AM

1 posts, read 1,613 times
i would be interested in hearing more about the Lake Jordan Private School. I have a child that is 5 and on the spectrum his is very mild in all categories of autism except expressive language which he h as well as is any one familiar with the new magnet school that was built specifically of children on the spectrum? as some but he is not able to get expressive language not so much due to the speech development delays autism may cause but because he also has the speech disorder Apraxia where when the brain sends down the signals to the muscles of the mouth to speak words he has poor motor planning so he goes to speech for his Apraxia disorder; however, the speech therapist is familiar as well as many clients that have autism which their main autism symptom is an expressive speech delay. My son has great receptive language which m makes it frustrating for him because he understands what is being sad around him but can't get the words out to respond; however, he can get half the word out but is not yet putting two and three words together. We recently attended his IEP meeting and the teacher specifically spoke about how intelligent he was, mild mannered, follows directions and a very hard worker; however the biggest thing holding him back is his inability to obtain expressive language which of course affects him wanting to engage because he realizes he cannot get out the words he wants to say..It is heart breaking but every speech therapist we have seen and his Pre-K teacher for two years at Baucom Elementary in Apex where he was assigned through Wake County's Special Education Program and his current Kindergarten teacher at Baucom all say the expressive language will come it just makes it harder with him having Apraxia! He was diagnosed at 22 months and has been in every type of therapy since and has thrived in every area even in expressive language but we are kind of at a stand still with the expressive language now because we cannot find a private therapist who knows how to treat Apraxia speech disorder as well as a child who has autism and has a speech delay as his biggest autism symptom since he was diagnosed has been communication but his receptive language boomed when he was three and he is very fun-loving, does not have major behavioral issues nor does he do a lot of stemming/ although he does see an OT because he is a sensory seeker and needs lots of vestibular and proprioceptive (?) input to help keep his sensory integration alined which helps keeps the neurons in his brain from miss firing as I was told by the wonderful OT he had the first two years after his diagnosis but I am a true believer that children with autism just have a brain that is wired differently therefore, learn differently than what society calls "nuero-typical" children!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary