Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2010, 03:59 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,864,857 times

Advertisements

Anyone got $85m to spare? looks like the owner is looking to find a minority partner for the Hurricanes

Karmanos looking to sell half of the Hurricanes - WRALSportsFan.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2010, 04:00 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,947 times
Darn - just spent my last $85 mill this morning!

Old 05-24-2010, 05:10 PM

211 posts, read 613,473 times
He is looking to sell his recently deceased partner's share, not his share. Hopefully a local group/person will step up. This SHOULD have no bearing on WHERE the team plays now and in the near future.

Old 05-24-2010, 10:51 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,450,705 times
My wife is Canadian. "We" are hockey fans.

Carolina isn't even on the radar.

Pittsburgh, Boston, Montreal, Detroit, those are the big names in hockey and draw the crowds. I saw somewhere that during the playoffs the Penguins had their 169th consecutive sold out arena.

She wants to see the all-star game next year though, I guess it's being held in Raleigh?

Old 05-25-2010, 07:00 AM
T|K

891 posts, read 2,496,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
My wife is Canadian. "We" are hockey fans.

Carolina isn't even on the radar.

Pittsburgh, Boston, Montreal, Detroit, those are the big names in hockey and draw the crowds. I saw somewhere that during the playoffs the Penguins had their 169th consecutive sold out arena.

She wants to see the all-star game next year though, I guess it's being held in Raleigh?
Yes it is in Raleigh, if you don't have season tickets though, good luck getting them unless you want to pay scalper prices.

If you are hockey fans and want to see it be a success in Raleigh, go to some games, show some support, and you will see the team willing to spend more money. I love going to Hurricanes games.

and like darman said, this will not effect where they play.

Old 05-25-2010, 07:17 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,078,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by T|K View Post
Yes it is in Raleigh, if you don't have season tickets though, good luck getting them unless you want to pay scalper prices.

If you are hockey fans and want to see it be a success in Raleigh, go to some games, show some support, and you will see the team willing to spend more money. I love going to Hurricanes games.

and like darman said, this will not effect where they play.

I'm not so sure about that ... Mr. Karmanos has been very committed to Raleigh even though the Canes don't show a profit unless they get deep into the playoffs. A new investor might be less inclined to accept that. Maybe, maybe not but it does introduce a certain risk.

I thought it interesting that the RDU Airport Authority is offering a big financial incentive (almost $600K) to get Terminal 2 completed ahead of the All Stars game.

I like having the Canes in Raleigh, its always a fun night out ...

Frank

Old 05-25-2010, 07:36 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,873,444 times
Kamanos would move the franchise in a heartbeat if he thought there was an alternative that would bring in more revenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary