Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-26-2010, 09:52 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,476,301 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmateo View Post
anyway (sorry, i can't resist this), it sounds from your description that all the hard work is udderly worth it....
lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2010, 09:58 AM

345 posts, read 1,060,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Thank you! Actually, you can't pasture a milk cow with horses. The horses run them and it damages their udder. But I have thought about knocking on doors and asking around. ;-)
The farm where I board is divided into two sections. One for cattle, the other for horses. I thought about sharing the info with you, but apparently you've got it figured out. Not really sure why you posted in the first place.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bellasformas View Post
The farm where I board is divided into two sections. One for cattle, the other for horses. I thought about sharing the info with you, but apparently you've got it figured out. Not really sure why you posted in the first place.
Thank you for sharing this. I'm sorry if my last post came across sarcastic. I didn't mean to be. I'm not very good at using smilies.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:07 AM

4,278 posts, read 5,936,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pegotty View Post
Thank you. We actually moved here from a small 'hobby' farm where I had a Jersey cow and dairy goats, chickens, ducks, geese, etc. We raised all our own food, heated our house with wood (that's way more labor intensive than a cow!) and basically lived off the land. Yes we got up at 4:30...hubby did the cow milking (I took care of the goats) and handed it off to me to strain, bottle, etc. while he went to work. We worked our buts off! But every drop of that fresh milk is worth the labor. Besides, cows are such sweet creatures.
Obviously you know what is required to take care of these animals. I was afraid some well intentioned soul possessed a romantic idylic vision of home hobby milk production, but didn't realize the extent of labor required.

My Dad would say that heating a home with wood kept you warm twice. Once when cutting and splitting the wood, and the other time when burning it. I always enjoyed the cows on my Grandparent's farm, even cleaning the barns in the Spring, but it has to be a labor of love.

Old 05-26-2010, 10:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I was afraid some well intentioned soul possessed a romantic idylic vision of home hobby milk production, but didn't realize the extent of labor required.
I had the same idea when we had to sell our cow. I hate to admit that I interviewed each potential buyer extensively. She went to a great home.

I also love farm work. It is the most rewarding thing I've ever done.

Old 05-26-2010, 01:00 PM

122 posts, read 288,507 times
If I had the time to milk it, I'd get one too! I would love to make my own cheese. I'm curious to know--Did you have to keep breeding the cow to keep the milk production up??

Old 05-26-2010, 03:16 PM

268 posts, read 1,067,408 times
Put an ad on craigslist under Farm and Garden?

Old 05-26-2010, 04:20 PM

IAPonygirl - Yes, you do have to breed to keep up the milk supply. But, many homestead farmers choose to spread out the lacatation period to get more milk rather than more volume. The cow needs to be dried off for a 2 month rest period before her next calf is born so rather than breeding her back quickly we always waited and had 16ish month lactations instead of 7-8month ones. (The gestation period is 9.5 months) We got less milk as the months went by...usually 2 gallons/day by the end of lactation. If your interested in learning more a great book to read is "Keeping a Family Cow" by Joann Grohman. She also keeps a message board on family cow keeping which you can find by googling.

Old 05-26-2010, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FauxPas View Post
Put an ad on craigslist under Farm and Garden?
Thanks! I have tried that with limited success. No one near enough to be helpful. :-)

Old 05-27-2010, 07:24 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,021 times
how lucky..a cow...I would suggest you put something on Craigslist under "Pets". I recently had a litter of pups I rescued and could not believe the amount of help I received from the animal community and I bet you would find help as well.

My dream is to have a goat..yes, I'm a simple girl with simple desires and I'm thinking maybe I could put something on CL as well . . who knows..maybe your cow and my goat could find a home together
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary