Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 08:20 AM

6 posts, read 12,673 times

Advertisements

I've seen several commercial for Carolina Pottery. We just moved into a new home and the commercials peaked my interest for decorating items for the home. Has anyone been to the one in Smithfield, NC? Is it worthwhile? I can't tell if it's a legit store or if they sell junk! Let me know your thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 08:23 AM

892 posts, read 3,151,311 times
I have friends that make excuses to be anywhere near the store just to spend an afternoon there.

Old 05-27-2010, 08:24 AM

746 posts, read 2,240,230 times
it really all depends on your definition of junk. The store gives my hubby a headache. We have found a few things in there - but you have to wade through a sea of dust collectors and stuff that "looks nice in the store but NOT in MY home!" Heck, it's relatively cheap, it's super close -check it out!

Old 05-27-2010, 08:51 AM

357 posts, read 1,377,723 times
Actually, my husband & I were just there this weekend to check it out and were NOT impressed. Instead, I would highly recommend checking out Garden Ridge in Greensboro. Also there is Williamsburg Pottery in Williamsburg, VA - more of a drive and you have to wade through stuff to find the good things. Of the two alternatives I'd choose Garden Ridge first.

Old 05-27-2010, 09:08 AM

4,477 posts, read 11,578,975 times
I wasn't impressed when I went last fall - it seemed very dark and dusty. I actually didn't care much for the outlet mall at all and I doubt I'll go back.

Old 05-27-2010, 10:46 AM

932 posts, read 3,088,910 times
You'll find a few nice things amidst the junk. I was recently looking for large pieces of pottery for my deck and found Big Lots and Ross to be much cheaper than Carolina Pottery. It's kind of funny that Carolina Pottery doen't actually even sell real Carolina Pottery. You will find some other great outlet stores out there though!

Old 05-28-2010, 07:29 PM

223 posts, read 565,092 times
It's all the same junk. I have been to all the places mentioned. They carry a lot of the same general stuff. I have been searching for my Christmas Tree Shop replacement but have yet to find it. Carolina Pottery- it depends what you are looking for. It has a large selction of patio cushions and stuff for outside. It has a large selection of flags though you have a bigger selection and most a a bit cheaper at the fairgrounds. Dried/silk flowers, picture frames, lamps, seasonal stuff. Nothing great but I go in and poke around every once in awhile.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:02 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,044,105 times
We live in Clayton and have been to Carolina Pottery ONCE. Kind of like a TJ Maxx without clothes? Mostly overstock--out-of-date stuff that is generally priced higher than MSRP...

BUT, depending on what is junk for one and a deal for another, it is possible to scavenge the shelves and come out with a bargin--even if it is something you didn't know you were looking for.

Old 05-29-2010, 06:19 AM

4,266 posts, read 11,372,075 times
I really didn't like the store either. Recently, I spent a weekend at the beach with friends who took me to Old Time Pottery. Wow, the store is HUGE! They carry so many different things from a wide range of kitchenware to home decor etc. It's a long ride but if you are ever down that way, I'd definitely check it out!

http://www.oldtimepottery.com/
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary