Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2010, 09:44 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times

Advertisements

I have from 120 to 150 estimates from local stores to install a dishwasher..
Then they also charge delivery.
Does anyone know an experienced person that would do the installation for a more reasonable price ( 50 ish)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 09:57 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,438,544 times
Well consider they have to come out to your house. That is driving time. Then they have to install. Then they have to pay taxes on the money you give them, and pay insurance, and overhead costs like advertising and lease payments on their truck or business location.

$50 doesn't sound like much when you boil it down. I don't have any suggestions, maybe a neighbor, dishwashers are pretty much plug and play these days. Kinda like "installing" a fridge or washing machine, it's really just hooking it up.

All else fails try Craigslist, maybe a handyman on there can do it for less.

Old 06-01-2010, 06:35 AM

39 posts, read 139,168 times
Cary plumbing did ours for around $80.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:23 AM

770 posts, read 2,753,537 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelly237 View Post
I have from 120 to 150 estimates from local stores to install a dishwasher..
Then they also charge delivery.
Does anyone know an experienced person that would do the installation for a more reasonable price ( 50 ish)
It really is a simple hook up, especially if you a replacing an existing unit . Mine took less than half an hour

YouTube - Dishwasher Hook Up

Old 06-01-2010, 10:03 AM

5,743 posts, read 17,596,866 times
Yeah. . . . .and make sure you knock out that little plastic disk in the disposal. I forgot to do that and was surprised when my dishwasher did not drain. Doh! Luckily I figured out what was wrong pretty quick and had it fixed in 5 minutes.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:13 PM

4,477 posts, read 11,617,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewUser View Post
Yeah. . . . .and make sure you knock out that little plastic disk in the disposal. I forgot to do that and was surprised when my dishwasher did not drain. Doh! Luckily I figured out what was wrong pretty quick and had it fixed in 5 minutes.
Yeah, that little oversight caused me SUCH a headache when I was selling my house in Apex. I had installed a new disposal and dishwasher prior to listing the house for sale, but did not test it. The home inspector discovered the problem, and even after we fixed it the buyers were not convinced and kept going on and on about it. Lesson learned!

Old 06-01-2010, 12:18 PM

932 posts, read 3,096,995 times
If you're just replacing it, it's very easy. I would ask a friend or neighbor before paying $150. My husband replace ours in about an hour.

Old 06-01-2010, 12:29 PM

569 posts, read 1,977,858 times
If you are buying a new diswasher from a store, $150 installation plus delivery charge sounds outrageous. Don't know how much it was when we bought our last dishwasher but know I wouldn't have paid that much. It couldn't cost them anywhere near that much, so should be something negotiable with the salesman.

Old 06-01-2010, 11:05 PM

8,583 posts, read 16,006,115 times
Thanks for all the feedback...

I assume it should take an hour or less..
so why would I want to pay anyone 120 to 150
per hour???

I bought the dishwasher today but I am going to try to
find someone to hook it up for less than 120.

Old 06-02-2010, 05:24 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,895 times
I wish I saw this earlier. We bought ours at Lowes, I'm not sure how much installation was, it was in line with everyone else (probably about $120), but with Lowes, they make the entire transaction tax-free if you use their installatioin, so that was another 7 or 8% savings back, which made the installation very reasonable. They sent a certified plumber, it took him more than an hour, but he did it right.

If your DW is older than about 10 years, it may not be as simple as you think. He had some connectors on his truck that did not come with the washer. I would have been sunk right there.

Good luck. The Lowes deal is a good one, and unfortunately most of their associates don't mention it enough.

EDIT> I was very worried about using Lowes installation, figuring they would send out some kind of hack. But we were very pleased with the service. he worked with my wife to make sure she was satisfied with the details, and he did a very good job communicating and then cleaning up. A+
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary