Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-27-2010, 09:30 AM

46 posts, read 77,534 times

Advertisements

Greetings from Colorado.

My wife grew up in Charlotte and now has a "hankerin" to get back to North Carolina. She is tired of Colorado's winters and its semi-arid climate. She wants to live in a place that we can drive to the beach on the weekends and to garden without digging in a ground filled with clay and rocks.

It looks like there is a good possibility to be able to find good employment in N.C. Now, we must choose to focus our search: Charlotte or Raleigh. We are simple folk. Our off time consists of golf, swimming, tennis, bike riding, gardening and Church on Sundays.

As for myself, I will be content to live in an area that I can play cheap golf and live in a neighborhood that is quiet and safe. My biggest dislike is traffic. Most/all cities have it. The question is how much of it in Raleigh/Charlotte?

I appreciate all feedback from you fine folks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-27-2010, 12:17 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,072,516 times
Given your comments, I'd say either will work for you. You'll be closer to the beach in the Triangle area, but you'll be gardening in rocky clay soil in both. Having lived in Fort Collins, though, I can say it's easier to garden here despite our lousy soil.

There is traffic in both metros, however I think it might be easier to find ways to avoid the traffic in the Triangle more-so than in Charlotte. It all comes down to where you work versus where you live, and whether your going with or against the flow. Overall, traffic in either area is comparable to a bit better than in Denver.

Old 05-27-2010, 12:42 PM

5,728 posts, read 17,533,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
you'll be gardening in rocky clay soil in both.
I dug holes for 5 fence posts this past weekend. Nothing but sand all the way down 2 feet. I guess it depends on where you live in the triangle.

I lived in north TX for 20 years, and if you dug down more than 6 inches you hit limestone. Couldn't do any planting without a pick axe handy.

Old 05-28-2010, 08:19 AM

Default Colorado versus North Carolina

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdp_az View Post
Given your comments, I'd say either will work for you. You'll be closer to the beach in the Triangle area, but you'll be gardening in rocky clay soil in both. Having lived in Fort Collins, though, I can say it's easier to garden here despite our lousy soil.

There is traffic in both metros, however I think it might be easier to find ways to avoid the traffic in the Triangle more-so than in Charlotte. It all comes down to where you work versus where you live, and whether your going with or against the flow. Overall, traffic in either area is comparable to a bit better than in Denver.
As with all places, Colorado has positives and negatives in terms of quality of life. Since you have lived in Colorado AND North Carolina, can you give me your opinion on the positive/negative comparison of living in the 2 states? What do you like about NC that CO does not have? What do you miss about living in CO?

Thanks in advance.

Old 05-28-2010, 09:00 AM

2,586 posts, read 9,072,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark836 View Post
As with all places, Colorado has positives and negatives in terms of quality of life. Since you have lived in Colorado AND North Carolina, can you give me your opinion on the positive/negative comparison of living in the 2 states? What do you like about NC that CO does not have? What do you miss about living in CO?

Thanks in advance.
NC: Like close proximity to the beaches and dense, green forests. I also like the year-round accessibility of the "mountains" in NC...you can go backpacking quite easily in the depths of winter with no concern for avalanches and 6' snow packs. Living in Durham, I LOVE the local food movement and the grassroots community feel to the town. Best of all, we're close to family here.

CO: Miss, more than anything, the climate and the mountains. I also miss being close to a real city in Denver (even Charlotte doesn't stack up IMO) and the ease of car camping in the backcountry of the national forests. Car camping in the southeast is mostly available only in improved campgrounds...not really my cup of tea. I also miss DIA, with non-stop flights to most anywhere in the US and beyond. RDU has a mediocre selection of non-stops, while Charlotte's flights are better due to being a US Airways hub.

All things considered, for as much as I miss Colorado, I'd be hard-pressed to move back there right now given our overall quality of life here in NC and our family nearby.

Old 05-29-2010, 05:40 AM

1,346 posts, read 3,064,626 times
I have lived in both Charlotte and now live in Raleigh, and from what you described I'd vote for Raleigh. Charlotte is more city-ish, with all the things that come with that...annoying traffic, lots of crime, etc.

Old 05-29-2010, 09:30 AM

Thanks to all for the comments

mdp_az, you said "CO: Miss, more than anything, the climate and the mountains..." This is interesting because I guess it is a matter of perspective when it comes to climate.

I love it in CO. when the temperature spikes in the winter where you can open up the windows and turn off the heat. I love it when the nights cool down in the summertime.

But CO. does have issues. The wind has been extremely harsh this year. 2 days ago, we had hail the size of baseballs that caused major damage. And the lack of rain. It is not uncommon to go without rain for weeks.

The mountains are almost unreachable in the winter due to the amount of traffic. Summer, all the campgrounds are usually full. Camp fires are mostly banned. The beetle blight has ruined most of the trees and thousands have to be cut down.

So, I guess there are plus/minus here. I still would take Colorado over many other places in the U.S.

Old 05-29-2010, 12:46 PM

420 posts, read 1,392,911 times
We grew up in Maryland, vacationed in NC throughout my whole childhood. We lived in Colorado for twelve years, then had the back East "hankerin'". We loved a lot of things about Colorado, but not the harsh winters. We have been here in NC 3 years now since we relocated to NC and we couldn't be happier. We love that we can day trip to either the mountains or the ocean, we love the climate, we love that we have acres and acres of land instead of a perfectly manicured postage stamp of a lawn with huge house. We love the coveniences of Raliegh, Durham, Chapel Hill...while feeling tucked away here in Clayton when we are home.

Now our oldest daughter who grew up in Colorado has a "hankerin" in the other direction. She remembers Colorado fondly and thinks the grass was greener there so to speak! If you have kids...get them out now before they form a huge attachment!

Old 05-29-2010, 01:05 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,721,541 times
You're not going to escape significant (and growing all the time) traffic in either Raleigh or Charlotte. You should look into the smaller suburban areas around either (which sounds like the lifestyle you want, anyway). Charlotte is closer to mountain, Raleigh to beaches.

Otherwise, an internet forum isn't going to (and shouldn't) convince you--take a trip out and visit both and see which calls to you more.

Old 05-30-2010, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priorityonecb View Post
We grew up in Maryland, vacationed in NC throughout my whole childhood. We lived in Colorado for twelve years, then had the back East "hankerin'". We loved a lot of things about Colorado, but not the harsh winters. We have been here in NC 3 years now since we relocated to NC and we couldn't be happier. We love that we can day trip to either the mountains or the ocean, we love the climate, we love that we have acres and acres of land instead of a perfectly manicured postage stamp of a lawn with huge house. We love the coveniences of Raliegh, Durham, Chapel Hill...while feeling tucked away here in Clayton when we are home.

Now our oldest daughter who grew up in Colorado has a "hankerin" in the other direction. She remembers Colorado fondly and thinks the grass was greener there so to speak! If you have kids...get them out now before they form a huge attachment!
Colorado attracts many younger folk because you can do many activities. I think Denver area is one of top categories for single and young people relocating to the area.

My wife wife and I have scheduled a trip a few weeks from now to tour the Raleigh and Charlotte area. We are looking forward to it and perhaps it will confirm our wishes to relocate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary