Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-27-2010, 09:14 PM

40 posts, read 148,716 times

Advertisements

Hi

We are trying to decide which part of Chapel hill is more commutable to Raleigh as well as Duke. One of us goes to Duke and other one: Temp jobs in Raleigh but might end up in RTP. So, we need to keep that in mind but knowing the answer to raleigh will help me .

Anyway, which part of CH is commutable to both places (Duke & Raleigh) and is a good neighborhood. Duke should be easy to commute to, from what I understand. We have looked a little bit in Springcrest but Parkside/Homestead seem more affordable with nice houses. So, the question is: Will we get stuck in traffic anywhere on I-40 going between rte 86 area and Raleigh (Going East in mornings and W in evening, obviously)? Google traffic tells me I won't. For the most part, the commute would be against the traffic but I feel that since I-40 narrows West of 147 to 3 lanes and then 2 lanes W of 15/501 would make it congested. Any thoughts?

Also any suggestions on alternate routes?

& do feel free to suggest alternate neighborhoods too.

We want to spend close to 400-450K, not too much more.

Thanks everyone.. this will help resolve a big issue for us!!

Last edited by aa_730; 05-27-2010 at 09:49 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2010, 04:03 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,606,511 times
For the Duke commute, be cautious of going up 15-501. That section is still a PITA. They are definitely working on that section but I am not sure technically when it will be complete.

As for RTP / Raleigh going west. I take that commute everyday to the Southpoint Exit and sometimes the 751 Exit. There are no real issues once you get passed 147. (NOTE: I leave work around 4:30)

I am not sure about going past 15-501 on 40 though.

Shortcuts? If you are near 54 in Chapel Hill, I always use Barbee to Stagecoach to get to 751.

Are you dead set on Chapel Hill? Something like Briar Creek or in Durham where you could hop on 147 easily might be more equitable for the both of you...

Old 05-28-2010, 06:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
For the Duke commute, be cautious of going up 15-501. That section is still a PITA. They are definitely working on that section but I am not sure technically when it will be complete.
Yes, we have noticed that construction but Erwin also leads to duke and turns out its ~20 min commute from chapel hill area close to 15/501 exit or from weaver dairy/I-86 area. My main concern has been commute to Raleigh. It helps to know your commute is ok till Southpoint.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
Are you dead set on Chapel Hill? Something like Briar Creek or in Durham where you could hop on 147 easily might be more equitable for the both of you...
We aren't dead set on chapel hill. we are starting to consider the wake county too. We do need good school district. I live in Durham now and have a great commute now.

Last edited by aa_730; 05-28-2010 at 06:32 AM..

Old 05-28-2010, 07:06 AM

1,040 posts, read 3,606,511 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aa_730 View Post
I live in Durham now and have a great commute now.
You know you want to stay in Durham

We are in the Creekside Elementary - Jordan High School district. I would take a serious look at that. Don't listen to the neigh-sayers

Good luck!
Matt

Old 05-28-2010, 08:17 AM

9,196 posts, read 24,983,678 times
I live in the Weaver Dairy/Homestead area of Chapel Hill and commute to Raleigh daily. I think it's the best location within Chapel Hill for a Raleigh-bound commute as it's close to I-40 with no local traffic delays. Local traffic in Chapel Hill off the NC 54 and US15-501 exits can get quite congested during rush hours. On I-40 you will find few delays. Generally, you are going against the major flow morning and evenings (which is mostly concentrated east of RTP). Still - depending on where in Raleigh you need to go it will be a long-ish commute of 30+ miles. Consider the local traffic on the other end of your commute as well.

From that area of Chapel Hill it's also an easy commute to Duke via Erwin Road.

Old 05-28-2010, 10:47 AM

80 posts, read 232,291 times
That's money advice about the local part of the commute. As a longtime Raleigh-Chapel Hill commuter, one of the worst parts of that commute is NC 54.

Old 05-28-2010, 12:18 PM

305 posts, read 769,532 times
You can live in Falconbridge which is a Chapel Hill address, but in Durham county so Durham schools. I would think Parkside would be good. I've known several people, my spouse included who commuted from various locations in CH to Raleigh. I'd steer clear of Carrboro, but most anything on the east side should be doable if you can go through town to get to 40. I'd avoid anything that would put you on the 54 bypass, though.

Old 05-28-2010, 06:46 PM

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary