Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-29-2010, 02:33 PM

85 posts, read 311,535 times

Advertisements

My family is going to OBX and we need more room to carry our stuff. We're looking to buy or rent some type of cargo trailer that I can pull with out Subaru Outback. I will need buy a hitch and have it installed. I don't really want to buy a trailer, but..... Can anyone point me in a direction of someone reputable who installs hitches and or rents trailers. I called UHaul, but wasn't sure if their prices were competitive (for hitch and installation they said $134??) so wanted to put this out there to you folks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 02:51 PM

9,196 posts, read 24,932,158 times
$134 doesn't sound too bad for a hitch + installation.

Old 05-29-2010, 02:52 PM

2,270 posts, read 9,146,209 times
In our experience, there were two choices in Raleigh: UHaul or Raleigh Hitch.

The prices sounds reasonable.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:02 PM

792 posts, read 4,487,480 times
$134 sounds like a great price to me. Wondering what you think a hitch+install should cost?? As for trailer rentals, u-haul is a great place for that, you can rent an enclosed trailer for less than $20/day.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:15 PM

122 posts, read 288,424 times
My husband just got a hitch put on his SUV so he could pull his boat, he used U-haul. I'm not sure what he paid but I think $134 is great!

Old 05-29-2010, 03:19 PM

1,335 posts, read 3,148,895 times
I got mine done at Raleigh Hitch, on the advice of Many many satisfied customers. The advice I was given was that they are going to be more expensive, but the quality of the hitch is better, and the knowledge of the person drilling into your car is far superior (that is all they do at Raleigh Hitch, and they STAY busy.) Several people posted horror stories about dealing with U-haul.

Every bit of what I posted is anecdotal, so take it for what it's worth. For me I decided to spend the extra money and forgo the potential headache, and I'm very happy.

Another question I'd ask is "what can your subaru reasonably pull, without damage to the transmission and/or breaking system?" (I've got a Civic, but I only use mine for bike racks, and a flat-bed rack because I have to haul our trash to the dump and I don't want any "junk in my trunk")

EDIT> I can't remember, but I think I spent $232 to buy the hitch and have it installed. Service was on time, and as promised, and I've used it daily for over almost two years.

Old 05-29-2010, 03:38 PM

Thanks for the input - I guess renting from UHaul is one thing, but having them do something permanent like install a hitch makes me a little nervous. I think I'll check out Raleigh Hitch - THANKS

Old 05-29-2010, 03:58 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,169,054 times
You can always buy one online and install yourself. On most vehicles, you can find a hitch that requires no drilling to install. I bought mine from www.etrailer.com and installed it myself. The install took only about an hour to bolt up and to do the wiring. If you or anyone in the house is mechanically savvy, it's pretty easy.

Be very mindful of what your car can tow, especially since it sounds like the car will already be pretty loaded as is. As for trailer rentals, you're basically stuck with U-Haul. You can buy trailers from places like Lowe's, Home Depot, etc, but even the most basic trailer will set you back a couple hundred. Might luck out and find someone selling one on craigslist, though. That's what I did.

Mike

Old 05-30-2010, 09:53 PM

2,905 posts, read 5,920,622 times
I've had three hitches done - one at Raleigh Hitch (great service and pricing) and two DIY. All three have been great.

Old 06-18-2010, 06:56 PM

Just got a hitch installed today from Raleigh Hitch........now, I admittedly don't know much about hitches, but I researched enough to know that Draw-Tite was a good brand. I was told that my hitch installed would be a bit over 200 and it would be a Draw-Tite. So, can anyone tell me how worried I should be if they spray painted the hitch.....including the Draw-Tite sticker???? This is crazy. Owner tells me they paint it to cover scratches. I'm furious and feeling taken.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary