Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-29-2010, 05:18 PM

153 posts, read 860,605 times

Advertisements

Last night was the strongest storm I have ever seen here. I went on my balcony and the wind was so strong it pushed me (I weigh more then 200 pounds). I would have sworn it was a hurricane or tornado, but there is nothing on the news about it. I live in patriots pointe and my friend lives on the other side of Hillsborough, and said the wind was not like that over there.

Did anyone else feel this, and know what it was?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-29-2010, 05:51 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,354 times
Most likely a microburst. It's a gush of wind that comes out of the storm and fans out. The winds can be VERY strong. There were reports in Durham county of downed trees as well. No tornado reports.

Old 05-29-2010, 07:43 PM

Thanks, I would have thought they would have reported it on the news. There was some damage here, lots of trees down, and on the other side of Hillsborough, nothing.

Old 05-29-2010, 08:09 PM

476 posts, read 1,676,641 times
I had to laugh as I thought that may have been your first post with a user name chosen based on your topic!

It was a big storm here in Cary too! Lawn is happy for the rain though!

Old 05-29-2010, 09:47 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,701,017 times
I saw a tornado last night outside Burlington - the weather was definitely conducive, so it may have been a tornado that didn't fully touch down.

Old 05-29-2010, 11:58 PM

I really think it was, stuff was in the air and it was so strong. But shouldnt some news channel have reported it? Or maybe no one really saw it? Scary

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
I saw a tornado last night outside Burlington - the weather was definitely conducive, so it may have been a tornado that didn't fully touch down.

Old 05-30-2010, 12:03 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,443,172 times
Microbursts are pretty strong, winds over 100 mph aren't uncommon.

I think it's pretty easy to see tornadoes using RADAR, here is an image I posted here not too long ago that shows the tornado that was over Zebulon back a few weeks ago. You can see the hook echo rather definitively.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:47 PM

2,932 posts, read 7,823,354 times
Here are more reports from the storm. Straight-line winds caused by microbursts are quite common in thunderstorm. They are relatively localized though. Tornadoes also can be localized but if there is any sign of one the national weather service would have been there and would have rated the storm on a scale of 1-5. Here is the WRAL story about the winds.

High winds knock down trees :: WRAL.com

Old 06-04-2010, 12:45 PM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezmom View Post
Last night was the strongest storm I have ever seen here. I went on my balcony and the wind was so strong it pushed me (I weigh more then 200 pounds). I would have sworn it was a hurricane or tornado, but there is nothing on the news about it. I live in patriots pointe and my friend lives on the other side of Hillsborough, and said the wind was not like that over there.

Did anyone else feel this, and know what it was?
I noticed today in the Gatemoore neighborhood, which isn't that far from you had a lot of tree damage. There was even a truck that was smashed by a tree pretty bad. I'm guessing it was from the same storm?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary