Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 07:44 PM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times

Advertisements

As of June 1, pet owners (I use that term loosely) will begin to be fined for thethering a dog. So, if you happen to come across a dog or any other animal that is being thethered please call your local animal control department.

On a bike ride I spotted a poor dog that was thethered at Coley and Kemp Road about 3 months ago. I was told at the time that thethering laws weren't enforced till June 1 but I did contact a wonderful organization - Coalition to Unchain Dogs. Long story short but they will be coming out on the weekend of June 11th and building a fence for this sweet dog. They pay for the fencing and will also have the animals neutered, spayed and vaccinated. Can you believe that?
They are such a wonderful group of volunteers and do this every weekend.

Bottom line, please call and report these owners and let's set these beautiful creatures free.

Coalition to Unchain Dogs

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 05-30-2010 at 08:35 PM.. Reason: No soliciting, please.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 08:04 PM

467 posts, read 1,774,777 times
I love that you post about the Coalition, as they do amazing things!

They will be building a fence for not only the dog Saluki mentioned, on 6/11, but for many others that weekend, as the Coalition is having a fence building marathon from 6/11 - 6/13, in advance of Durham's anti-tethering law that goes into effect on 7/1. This is a phenomenal group of dedicated people, and there are soooooo many ways you can contribute, be it with time, money, or resources - often things that you have around the house and aren't going to use (kitty litter buckets come to mind) they would love to have.

Here is a video of a recent un-chaining -- can't help but tug at your heart. Consider being a part of the solution.

YouTube - Coalition to Unchain Dogs - Boato and Smoke

Old 05-30-2010, 08:27 PM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
The law is tethering more than three hours. It can be done in moderation. Not everyone can have a fence (renters, etc)

The Facts About Chaining and Tethering : The Humane Society of the United States

Quote:
If a dog is chained or tethered for a period of time, can it be done humanely?
Animals who must be kept on a tether should be secured in such a way that the tether cannot become entangled with other objects. Collars used to attach an animal should be comfortable and properly fitted; choke chains should never be used. Restraints should allow the animal to move about and lie down comfortably. Animals should never be tethered during natural disasters such as floods, fires, tornadoes, hurricanes, or blizzards.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:44 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,454,017 times
I tether my dog because she likes to sit in the back and lay in the sun on the grass. We don't like taking the chance of her seeing another dog and running away. She enjoys sitting in the back and sun bathing. Tethering isn't always bad, or for people you'd hesitate to call owners.

Old 05-31-2010, 12:30 AM

1,106 posts, read 3,534,136 times
As said above, tethering is not always a bad thing. It doesn't mean that you don't love your pet any less. Some people can't or don't want a dog inside the house. Seems as though animal rights activist go out harder than human rights activist.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:33 AM

1,495 posts, read 3,721,522 times
yes, you can thether 3 hours and even the rescue doggie I have now is thethered for a little bit and I can keep my eye on her BUT being thethered 24 hours 7 days a week is no way for any animal to live.

Old 05-31-2010, 05:43 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
so if my neighbor tethers his 3 dogs only while they are outside, he can get fined? I can only hope, these dogs are so annoying and they scare the bejessus out of my children, have snapped at my husband, and they have their leads right on the property line, all the while barking and snapping at me. I hate these dogs.... "must look into new law"....

Old 05-31-2010, 05:50 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,227,920 times
It's when an animal is left for days and months, given food once in awhile and the chain / collar actually cuts into the neck and the skin begins to grow around the restraint--or worse infection sets in and tha animal dies a slow painful death does tethering get a bad reputation.

I do not think anyone says ALL tethering is bad.

But unsupervised tethering and for days --- is there really an excuse?

What does a 10 X 10 kennel cost--$250?

Old 05-31-2010, 07:05 AM

2,135 posts, read 7,657,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SALUKI_LOVER View Post
yes, you can thether 3 hours and even the rescue doggie I have now is thethered for a little bit and I can keep my eye on her BUT being thethered 24 hours 7 days a week is no way for any animal to live.
You did not say that in your original post.

Quote:
As of June 1, pet owners (I use that term loosely) will begin to be fined for thethering a dog. So, if you happen to come across a dog or any other animal that is being thethered please call your local animal control department.
I hope nobody calls animal control on you. After reading your original post someone could be under the impression the law is against tethering for any length of time.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:17 AM

2,058 posts, read 5,862,614 times
My comment was meant to be a little snarky. I'm currently having issues with a neighbor who has three dogs which are very misbehaved and literally scare our kids. They are also feeding a feral cat colony which has grown out of control. I'm enlisting the help of a rescue group to come in and trap-neuter-release. But there's a batch of young kittens that they need to take. I'm just angry at the irresponsiblity of these people. I'm going to just ask that they shorten the lead of their dogs or to put them on the other side of their property. The cats are a bigger issue right now.

I love animals but hate the bad behavior of people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary