Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2010, 10:37 PM

8 posts, read 13,434 times

Advertisements

I know it's in Southeast Raleigh, & that there's a stigma about that area. But I also read that not *all* the neighborhoods in the area are bad. Does anyone have information on this particular street?

I did a home inspection & the inspector couldn't find anything wrong with the house. And as we were walking out, he happened to mention that it was a nice neighborhood. I mean...it's obviously not upscale-nice, but it seemed fairly decent.

If anyone has opinions on this street, please let me know. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 11:32 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Define "nothing wrong" in regards to the inspector. I am assuming this is a typical 40 or so year old house off King Charles?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:22 AM

7 posts, read 14,043 times
Default Question on North King Charles Rd.

I grew up three blocks from the fire station on N. King Charles Rd., my parents still live in the same house. Nothing wrong with the houses or neighborhood. It's mixed with some rentals. I would avoid living right on top of Raleigh North Apartments (public housing caddy corner from Fire station), or the apartments just down the street from the Fire station. There's a bus line that runs down most of N. King Charles that will take you all the way into downtown.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:19 AM

268 posts, read 1,067,540 times
I would live there.

Old 05-31-2010, 07:21 AM

28 posts, read 44,153 times
Grew up just a few blocks from there. Have friends that recently moved there. Like another poster said, it is a mixed neighborhood, and mostly a quiet one. I would not hesitate to move there.............

Old 05-31-2010, 08:47 AM

542 posts, read 1,524,842 times
I live a few blocks from King Charles and I love that street! Tree-lined streets with big lots, sidewalks, and nice homes. In the Longview/Lockwood neighborhoods north of New Bern Avenue we are beginning to see where some homeowners are increasing the size of their homes which is always a great sign as it shows that property values have increased enough to support those additions. New Bern Avenue from Raleigh Boulevard to Tarborro Street is still rough, but it is always improving and I believe it is only a few years (and a few teardowns) away from turning the corner.

Mike

Old 05-31-2010, 11:51 AM

171 posts, read 430,287 times
I live a block or two away from N. King Charles. It's a great neighborhood!

Old 05-31-2010, 02:45 PM

28 posts, read 94,403 times
It all depends on what you're looking for. Stop by a police station and ask the officers who work the area. Raleigh Crime Map - Showing Crime in Raleigh, NC - Crime Statistics - Crime Alerts - Crime Stops Here All areas have their problems though.

Old 06-01-2010, 05:59 AM

746 posts, read 2,248,112 times
there are a few houses on King Charles I would totally buy if I could afford them! The one that just sold on the corner of New Bern is gorgeous!

My only issue would be that it's somewhat surrounded by questionable neighborhoods. I'm not sure how much the gentrification will continue there, or whether the urban decay will spread from the less desirable neighborhoods?

I drive there with frequency (son's school is nearby). The homes and lots have a ton of potential.

Old 06-02-2010, 08:58 AM

8 posts, read 13,434 times
Sorry it took me so long to respond to my own thread!

The inspector is actually my dad's father-in-law...not my grandfather, but he cares about my dad & I don't think he'd steer his son-in-law's daughter in the wrong direction. The man has decades of experience in house inspecting. I don't remember the details, but all I remember is that no concerns were raised during the inspection. He said that it was in great shape. The house was built in 1960. The few things that were wrong (cracked doorstep, cracked tile in kitchen) are going to be repaired by the seller.

I saw the apartments nearby and they did concern me. The house isn't extremely close to them, but it's not extremely far either. I honestly can't remember exactly where they were in relation to this house. Are those apartments full of crime?

Basically...would you be comfortable with taking young children to this neighborhood? Do you think I'd have trouble reselling in a few years? The house is a decent size but I still think of it as a starter house.

I really appreciate all the posts so far. Thanks for any advice you can give!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary