Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2010, 08:35 AM

14 posts, read 39,834 times

Advertisements

Hello,
We are looking to build a home in Mebane. We are currently looking at the Copper Stone subdivision. Does anyone have any information/Opinions about this area?? I would Greatly appreciate any feedback..

-Thanks so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2010, 11:55 AM

1,877 posts, read 5,342,872 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by napabret View Post
Hello,
We are looking to build a home in Mebane. We are currently looking at the Copper Stone subdivision. Does anyone have any information/Opinions about this area?? I would Greatly appreciate any feedback..

-Thanks so much
What kind of info are you looking for? Mebane is a nice small town for families. I find I have to drive into Durham for most things, but Mebane is growing and offering more and more all the time. The outlet mall opens later this year so that will help out with shopping. Z-Bowl recently opened up, so there is now at least one entertainment option. There are festivals throughout the year. Burlington is nearby for extra shopping, restaurants, movie theater, etc.

Mebane overall is a nice safe town, so there really aren't any areas to be concerned about crime or anything. I don't know much about Copper Stone other than it's in a nice quiet area with quick access to I-85/40. If you don't mind the small lots/lack of privacy, many people seem to be happy with Cimmaron Homes.

Old 05-31-2010, 01:50 PM

Thank you so much for your reply. We think Mebane will be a perfect fit for our family. Now its just finding the right subdivision. I was concerned because Copper Stone doesn't have a community pool? Do you know about the private pools in Mebane. DogWood or Thompson Heights? Any idea how much they cost to join?

One think we liked about Copper Stone is that it had a little country feel to it and we love the convenient access to 85. They have some new lots they are starting to build on that are a really nice size (larger then the others) and will back up to a wooded area with a pond. So this will help with the privacy issue. But it is nice to hear from someone who may know someone that lives in their to see what they think of the neighborhood.

Old 05-31-2010, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by napabret View Post
Thank you so much for your reply. We think Mebane will be a perfect fit for our family. Now its just finding the right subdivision. I was concerned because Copper Stone doesn't have a community pool? Do you know about the private pools in Mebane. DogWood or Thompson Heights? Any idea how much they cost to join?

One think we liked about Copper Stone is that it had a little country feel to it and we love the convenient access to 85. They have some new lots they are starting to build on that are a really nice size (larger then the others) and will back up to a wooded area with a pond. So this will help with the privacy issue. But it is nice to hear from someone who may know someone that lives in their to see what they think of the neighborhood.
Sounds like if you like the wooded area with the pond that would be a great option. I really don't know about the pools in the area. My friend was thinking about building in Ashbury (I saw you mention Ashbury in another post), but she decided against it because she was concerned about how many people would be sharing the pool (the apartment complex, single family homes, 55+ community). They ended up building on a larger lot in a small neighborhood and will have their own pool.

Copper Stone does have a nice country feel now, but there could be future development out there. But with the economy the way it is that may not happen for a while and you can probably enjoy it for at least a while.

Do a search on here for "Cimmaron" or any builder and you will get info. I think there is even a thread I started over a year ago when we were looking and I asked about Cimmaron. Also do a search for Mebane, as well as Ashbury. There should be quite a bit of info. Good luck with your search!

Old 05-31-2010, 02:37 PM

Do you know if one school system is superior to the other? Orange County vs Alamance County.. Is this a big factor?

Old 05-31-2010, 06:25 PM

8 posts, read 30,757 times
My family is moving to Mebane as well. Our realtor advised us strongly to stay on the Alamance side. We did look into Ashbury but felt it was way to over populated and you really got the "living in a fish bowl" feel. The lots have no privacy and I agree about the concern that the community is way to big for the pool. I don't think the resale will be very good in here. The Orange County side doesn't have the same "Mebane" feel as the Alamance side. Good Luck to you.

Old 06-02-2010, 06:58 AM

Thanks for responding Banannyie

I talked to quite a few people who are from Mebane (and these are people who are orginally from the area or who have lived here for a long time)and they all say the Allamance side is where we should focus on. I am so thankful for this website and the friendly people of Mebane.

And also Asbury is out for us. After I saw the amount of homes in there, I have to agree with other concerns I have read on here about that area.. Pool is way to small, there is no privacy at all, and for the amount of taxes you pay in Orange County you don't really see anything for it.

Old 06-03-2010, 07:20 AM

4 posts, read 8,550 times
Glad we could help. I live in an area called Mill Creek and there are a section of homes that go to OC were as the rest go to AC and I can tell you that the people have a much harder time selling their homes if they are on the OC side. One because of the schools and two because of the very high taxes. And most of the people who live in Ashbury are people who moved to Mebane from out of state and did not do the research like you did.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stayhomemommy View Post
Glad we could help. I live in an area called Mill Creek and there are a section of homes that go to OC were as the rest go to AC and I can tell you that the people have a much harder time selling their homes if they are on the OC side. One because of the schools and two because of the very high taxes. And most of the people who live in Ashbury are people who moved to Mebane from out of state and did not do the research like you did.
I just want to mention this so there isn't any confusion. Overall, Orange County schools are better than Alamance County schools. But it seems like some people have an issue with the Orange County schools that are specifically zoned for the Efland/Mebane area. I live in Efland, but I don't have any kids so I cannot comment on them. In a couple years we will be settling down in Hillsborough which is when I do plan on having kids and where I know kids attend great schools that parents are happy with. If you are going to live in Mebane, it make sense to live on the Alamance County side because of the lower taxes and schools many people seem to be happy with.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:21 AM

116 posts, read 366,807 times
I have to agree about the Orange county schools (typically being better than Alamance County schools), but the elementary outside of Mebane/Efland is Efland Cheeks. Efland Cheeks is a mediocre school (not bad, but not good either). The middle school and high schools are better.

Also, there probably is much more money and UNC facility influence in Orange county schools than Alamance. So I expect they will continually get better (especially as more UNC facility move into Orange county).

The taxes are higher, but a majority of those taxes goes to the schools. So that will also help.

The big question is will the OC school board do anything to fix Efland Cheeks.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary