Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 03:17 PM

3,301 posts, read 11,712,491 times

Advertisements

First off, I just want to say that I am not trying to get out of the ticket. I was going higher than the posted speed limit and am fine with paying the fine and dealing with any points.

Anyway, so I was driving to the area last week, honestly going faster than I thought (following the cars in front of me), and received a speeding ticket for going 80 in a 65mph zone. Today, I received 5 letters from attorneys in the mail, and I have to say they got me a little freaked. I had planned to just pay the fine (I'm not from NC and can't make it down there), but do I really need a lawyer in this case? Is it normal for you to get solicited by lawyers after a speeding violation? I can't find a definitive answer as to whether or not it is considered "reckless driving" (I always thought it was 20mph over). My driving record before this was completely clean, so I have no basis for comparison. I'm just trying to get a handle on exactly how big of deal this is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2010, 03:31 PM

32 posts, read 189,013 times
don't panic -- the moment anyone gets a speeding ticket of any kind, their name and the info get put into a database that the feeding frenzy of lawyers gets access to - and you will likely get even more letters from lawyers soliciting your business. depending on the state you live in, the points may not even go on your record. if you are in town for a little while longer, you can actually get the ticket reduced yourself by going to the courthouse and speaking with the DA there (not inside the actual court) and asking for a 'Prayer For Judgment'. Because your license is clean, you will almost certainly be granted it and they will lower your ticket to something like 9 or less over the limit, which is no points and here also means no increase in insurance rates. You will have to pay the fine on the spot then, and they only take cash so come prepared. If you're not in town and can swing the fine, go with your original plan and just pay the fine (might want to first research whether it will put points on your license in your home state - if it does, it could pay to hire an atty in which case PM me as I have a good one)

hope that helps allay your fears!

Old 06-03-2010, 03:33 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,075,006 times
Solicitations happen all the time after a speeding ticket. Call a couple of attorneys, find one that has lunch with the DA .

I understand that you want to be a stand up guy/gal. But paying the fine is making money for the Insurance companies through the points system. Hire a lawyer, support the local economy.

You'll save a few bucks too.

I don't believe a PFJ makes sense in this case. Insurance companies are wise to the "no insurance points" game. They can always just null your existing "safe driver" discounts instead.

Frank

Old 06-03-2010, 03:49 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Fwiw, I wouldn't just pay it, at least plead no contest rather than guilty. Showing up for a PFJ (suspended sentence) would be best, especially since you're chances of getting another ticket in a state you don't live in are pretty small, or at least showing up and pleading guilty to 9 over (which your insurance company will see, may or may not raise your rates). Contacting a lawyer "in the biz" might open a couple other options and keep you from having to make a return trip. This is more about paying more money over the next three years of your life or not.

Old 06-03-2010, 03:55 PM

Thanks everyone! I had no idea about the lawyers, I got really worried when I came home and all the mail was legal solicitations (I had a bad experience with a small claims suit a year or so ago).

I'm in DC, and have no idea if they communicate with NC regarding the points, so I'll have to look into that. Being out of state, I am still eligible for PFJ/PFC? Would that be something I'd have to go down for, or could I complete a similar program up here?

Old 06-03-2010, 03:59 PM

451 posts, read 1,157,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post
Thanks everyone! I had no idea about the lawyers, I got really worried when I came home and all the mail was legal solicitations (I had a bad experience with a small claims suit a year or so ago).

I'm in DC, and have no idea if they communicate with NC regarding the points, so I'll have to look into that. Being out of state, I am still eligible for PFJ/PFC? Would that be something I'd have to go down for, or could I complete a similar program up here?
Since you are in DC I would get a lawyer to take care of things. That way you don't have to actually be in court. It will be around 200$ but for that they will get the speed reduced to 9 over, which will not increase your insurance at all. All you have to do is pay the lawyer and they take care of things for you.

Old 06-03-2010, 04:01 PM

3,743 posts, read 13,697,007 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juniperbleu View Post

The states have reciprocity amongst themselves - they want their money, so no luck there. As for the PFJ, I think you have to go before the judge for that - maybe a lawyer can stand in for you for that. A lawyer for $2-300 might be worth the trip and court costs.

Old 06-03-2010, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sayantsi View Post
The states have reciprocity amongst themselves - they want their money, so no luck there. As for the PFJ, I think you have to go before the judge for that - maybe a lawyer can stand in for you for that. A lawyer for $2-300 might be worth the trip and court costs.
Yeah, I think I'm going to err on the side of caution and assume that all entities involved will be fully informed and act upon it. For now it looks like I'll be making some phone calls in the next day or so to figure out the lawyer situation.

Thanks again everyone, I really appreciate it!

Old 06-03-2010, 05:11 PM

238 posts, read 668,961 times
If you can't make it down here, you may want to pay an attorney to show up for you. They can usually get the speed lowered to something very manageable so your insurance doesn't go up. I was able to do it on my own in person a few weeks ago (with no attorney). Don't be alarmed by the letters you get from attorneys, they send them out to everyone who gets a ticket.

Old 06-03-2010, 08:03 PM

1,168 posts, read 2,503,006 times
Just an FYI, I got a speeding ticket about a year ago and contacted afew attorneys. I was informed by several that a PFJ is NOT A GUARENTEE. It is up to the judge sitting at the time on weather or not he wants to grant it. I was also informed that is a PFJ is granted some judges require hours of community service (i was told most judges make you do 1 hr for each mph over the limit you were traveling). My $.02 would be to consult an attorney in DC and avoid going the PFJ route.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary