Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 06:34 AM

305 posts, read 768,057 times

Advertisements

I think with a title like "for the New Yorkers thinking of relocating here..." it could have actually had something to do with New York, like...

"It's hard to find a good pastrami on rye"
or
"They have some traveling shows, but it's nothing like Broadway"
or
"I knew it would be sleepy compared to NYC, but this is sleepier than I was expecting".

There was no real comparison, just a negative review of Raleigh (which is not the entire Triangle, thank you very much). I don't think real NYers would get much out of this review at all. It has nothing to do with NY.

To me it sounds like the OP would have been happier in Chapel Hill or Durham, but maybe not.

IMO, the cool parts of Austin are like Chapel Hill/Carrboro and maybe a little bit of Durham. The state capital part is like Raleigh. Austin is bigger so the sprawly part is like Raleigh, too. I like my cool w/o sprawl&mall so I prefer Chapel Hill/Carrboro.

Austin is really fun, but there are a lot of similarities between it and the Triangle as a whole (including Chapel Hill and Durham). Austinites value/respect/honor/lift up/celebrate their artists/musicians/creative class more, though.

Hope the OP is happy there. And it is a great place to visit so I'd encourage y'all to do that if you're ever in the neighborhood. Have some good food and listen to some good tunes while you're at it!

Old 06-05-2010, 06:46 AM

9,680 posts, read 27,161,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
While the OP may not be happy here, and has every right to express that opinion, it was the delivery of that opinion that I found rather harsh....bless their heart.....
Nice answer.

As we may remember from the movie, "Opinions are like a-holes. Everybody has one".

Old 06-05-2010, 07:12 AM

406 posts, read 787,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by toodie View Post
Good Grief.

Thanks for reminding me why staying away from posting here has become my norm. If a person expresses his/her opinion and it's not to the liking of a "pro Raleigh" perspective, the person is not welcome to his/her opinion by other posters.

People reading here appreciate all perspectives. Personally, when I read about info on other states' sites, the occasional opinion similar to this OP's post surely is appreciated. It's a real perspective from one person, and is valid.

No need to put down the words written by someone who's not quite happy here.best,
toodie
Some people are hung up with the "brashness" of the post. Others on this forum will try to nullify any opinion that doesn't paint the Triangle as the absolute best place on earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
Of course, no one place is utopia for all, but it gives me pause that you would take the time to, unsolicited, start such an overall disparaging thread. After all, the majority of the people who post in this forum live in the Triangle area and, for the most part, seem to be happy with that choice. It's unfortunate that you're not but to, yes, trash the area to its residents is, simply put, "not really that friendly" -- one of your complaints about Raleighites. Ironic, no?
I agree that the OP needs to work on his delivery...to say the least, however I think some of his opinions have validity.

Old 06-05-2010, 07:51 AM

1,335 posts, read 3,149,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf191 View Post
...any cultural activities (unless you consider BBQ eateries and playgrounds cultural...
I could not pass up this little nugget of goodness.

BBQ is indeed a cultural activity. If you get beyond the food-value (very high, IMO) of BBQ, the interaction and sense of community is the very essence of the rich culture and history of NC.

I guess what you meant to say is that you didn't find enough evidence of the culture from where you came? Fair enough, but if that is all you value, then why did you leave? Really?

Sorry, but BBQ is so much more than food. (really good food, IMO)

(I could respond about the rest of your post, but I think others had that covered pretty well...)

Old 06-05-2010, 07:54 AM

451 posts, read 1,157,354 times
Just a suggestion to the OP on their journey to find a place to settle. It has been my experience that it takes at least 1 year and realistically about 2 years to really get to know somewhere and to decide if it's for you.

I came down here from NJ for college and it was culture shock for 2 years. I wanted to move back home to familiarity and thankfully my parents made me stay. 13 years later and here we are. I do agree with many of your points and Raleigh isn't the place for everyone. However, while it may not be your ultimate stopping grounds it is unfair to characterize it the way you did for how short a time you were here. Now, if you had lived here several years and came to those conclusions they would be a lot more valid IMO.

To those who felt the OP's delivery was harsh, that probably wasn't their intent. People in the NE are blunt, it's not meant to be hurtful. It's just how things are.

Best of luck in finding your happy place-

Old 06-05-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kids_Dentist View Post
Just a suggestion to the OP on their journey to find a place to settle. It has been my experience that it takes at least 1 year and realistically about 2 years to really get to know somewhere and to decide if it's for you.

I came down here from NJ for college and it was culture shock for 2 years. I wanted to move back home to familiarity and thankfully my parents made me stay. 13 years later and here we are. I do agree with many of your points and Raleigh isn't the place for everyone. However, while it may not be your ultimate stopping grounds it is unfair to characterize it the way you did for how short a time you were here. Now, if you had lived here several years and came to those conclusions they would be a lot more valid IMO.

To those who felt the OP's delivery was harsh, that probably wasn't their intent. People in the NE are blunt, it's not meant to be hurtful. It's just how things are.

Best of luck in finding your happy place-
Thoughtful and non-reactionary...Good Post

Old 06-05-2010, 08:26 AM

124 posts, read 326,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AmazinGracie View Post
While the OP may not be happy here, and has every right to express that opinion, it was the delivery of that opinion that I found rather harsh....bless their heart.....
Ha! You wrote what I was thinking. The OP is so certain that Raleigh is a major cause of his (or her) unhappiness, that he has to go out of the way to express that to board of people he doesn't know... Hope Austin provides that peace the OP is looking for... bless his (or her) heart...

Old 06-05-2010, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meadowNC View Post
bless his (or her) heart...
Is this a "polite" way of disparaging someone?

Old 06-05-2010, 08:38 AM

2,275 posts, read 6,307,447 times
I just find it really sad that the OP didn't seem to take the time to even attempt to find what he/she was looking for. All of the things that were mentioned are here.

Regarding politeness vs friendliness - it's not common to make instant friends, no matter where you live. It's not like when you're in school.

I hope the OP is happy wherever he/she ends up. However, if you continue to be so quick to make judgments, you'd better keep the movers on speed dial, for you'll be using them quite frequently.

Old 06-05-2010, 08:56 AM

4,532 posts, read 8,869,784 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewolf191 View Post
People, it's called an OPINION. I didn't TRASH the area. I mentioned several things that are very nice about it. I appreciate the positive comments and dialogue. As for the negative, sorry your tail feathers are in such a ruffle. Not EVERYONE is going to love it here. It's not utopia for all.

I simply like more of a artsy funky bohemian vibe, hence checking out Austin. And yes, I know about Portland and Seattle, too cold.
We certainly realize it's just your opinion. But your post heading is misleading, I thought it was going to be informative. Similar to the one LoveBrentwood did for newcomers...hers was funny, interesting and enlightening.

I wish you'd answer North Raleigh Guys question. Where have you been living here?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary