Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2010, 01:06 PM

42 posts, read 118,836 times

Advertisements

It's official. We will be visiting the triangle area in July, arriving the 6th and don't need to be back home until the 16th/17th, so there is plenty of time to view the whole area (I hope). Our focus is on N. Raleigh/Wake Forest/Cary/Apex & Chapel Hill.

We will be using this trip as 1: a chance to view the area in hope of future relocation & 2: a family vacation. (we are mid 30's with a 5yr old).

We are going to try to visit as many communities as possible, so we can get an idea of home/living styles in each town, while trying to fit some fun things in along the way to keep it feeling like a vacation.

I know it's a bit early, but does anyone know of anything going on that we just have to attend in July? Suggestions on places that we should include on list of things to see/do while there to get a good feel of the area? We do plan on going into downtown Raleigh to do the museum/tourist thing, but would love suggestions on where to go outside of downtown, in all areas.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good (challenging) golf course that my husband would be able to play at while there. I'm not sure he could last that long without playing.

What roads should we avoid traveling at during certain times?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide- I can't wait!
Now off to search hotels.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2010, 01:54 PM

98 posts, read 301,720 times
Google "Visit Raleigh" and you will get some good ideas. See: Pullen Park, Durham Bulls game, Downtown Raleigh (has free concerts),Duke Chapel,UNC Campus. If you have time you have to see the coast (Outer Banks are great 4hrs -Topsail is good as well 21/2 hrs-little far but awesome- As far as traffic-good luck around rush hours and I-40 is just a complete diaster so get a GPS and use the detours-have a great time here

Old 06-04-2010, 02:03 PM

42 posts, read 118,836 times
We were at the Outer Banks last summer...and LOVED it!
I think if we have leftover time on our trip we will head west and drive down the Blue Ridge.

Just ran across The Carolina Inn, it looks wonderful! Any thoughts as to whether or not it's "too far out" to use as our base hotel to do day trips into the other areas?

Old 06-04-2010, 02:07 PM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,672 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equitate View Post
We were at the Outer Banks last summer...and LOVED it!
I think if we have leftover time on our trip we will head west and drive down the Blue Ridge.

Just ran across The Carolina Inn, it looks wonderful! Any thoughts as to whether or not it's "too far out" to use as our base hotel to do day trips into the other areas?

The Carolina Inn is in the middle of Chapel Hill adjacent to UNC. Certainly the western edge of the cities you mentioned above but certainly doable.

Frank

Old 06-04-2010, 05:02 PM

12,626 posts, read 32,053,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Equitate View Post
It's official. We will be visiting the triangle area in July, arriving the 6th and don't need to be back home until the 16th/17th, so there is plenty of time to view the whole area (I hope). Our focus is on N. Raleigh/Wake Forest/Cary/Apex & Chapel Hill.

We will be using this trip as 1: a chance to view the area in hope of future relocation & 2: a family vacation. (we are mid 30's with a 5yr old).

We are going to try to visit as many communities as possible, so we can get an idea of home/living styles in each town, while trying to fit some fun things in along the way to keep it feeling like a vacation.

I know it's a bit early, but does anyone know of anything going on that we just have to attend in July? Suggestions on places that we should include on list of things to see/do while there to get a good feel of the area? We do plan on going into downtown Raleigh to do the museum/tourist thing, but would love suggestions on where to go outside of downtown, in all areas.

Does anyone have a suggestion of a good (challenging) golf course that my husband would be able to play at while there. I'm not sure he could last that long without playing.

What roads should we avoid traveling at during certain times?

I appreciate any feedback you can provide- I can't wait!
Now off to search hotels.....
Can I join you too? LOL I live in Lake Mary and hope to move there too.

As for hotels, when we visited, it was best to stay at an extended stay b/c we were able to cook and have cool drinks. We stayed at the Extended Stay in Cary and also Homestead Suites in N. Raleigh. Both places served the purpose and were clean/safe with kitchens and Wifi. They wer both $40-$50/night which I thought was reasonable.

Your 5 yr old might like Frankies or Adventure Landing. Frankie's Fun Park - Raleigh, NC
http://www.adventurelanding.com/

Old 06-04-2010, 05:22 PM

4,532 posts, read 8,868,725 times
Golf - The Washington Duke course in Durham. Durham Hotels: Washington Duke Inn & Golf Club Raleigh North Carolina NC luxury hotels resorts suites conferences centers meeting facility romantic weddings family vacations getaways packages

Old 06-04-2010, 07:35 PM

305 posts, read 767,965 times
Can't believe no one has mentioned it yet, but with a 5 year old you just absolutely have to go to the NC Museum of Life and Science in Durham. It's really great with plenty of indoor activities (get a little AC break) and tons of outdoor activities.

I'm not a golfer so I can't speak to that except to say I know we've got plenty of it in the area.

The Carolina Inn is a very nice historic inn. I live in Chapel Hill so I think it would be a great place to stay, but you could stay at the Washington Duke, too.

Old 06-04-2010, 07:41 PM

6,297 posts, read 16,092,775 times
Pullen Park is closed for reservations in 2010 and will reopen in summer of 2011.

http://www.raleighnc.gov/portal/server.pt/gateway/PTARGS_0_2_306_209_0_43/http%3B/pt03/DIG_Web_Content/category/Leisure/Park_and_Greenway_Planning/Current_Projects/Cat-MCH-20091026-144809-Pullen_Park_Amusement_Ce.html (broken link)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bekindtoanimals View Post
Google "Visit Raleigh" and you will get some good ideas. See: Pullen Park, Durham Bulls game, Downtown Raleigh (has free concerts),Duke Chapel,UNC Campus. If you have time you have to see the coast (Outer Banks are great 4hrs -Topsail is good as well 21/2 hrs-little far but awesome- As far as traffic-good luck around rush hours and I-40 is just a complete diaster so get a GPS and use the detours-have a great time here

Old 06-04-2010, 08:16 PM

746 posts, read 2,247,454 times
I'm glad to see that you posted that Pullen Park is closed! That would have been a big bummer to get there and have that happen. I have 3 kids - and I'm in my mid 40s (kids are 7, 3, and 1) Here are my suggestions:

Make sure to bring a picnic blanket on your trip. Will make enjoying the outdoor activities here even better!
North Raleigh / Wake Forest / Rolesville - check out Blue Jay Point Park, Park at Rolesville, Joyner Park, Durant Nature Park; communities to see include Heritage Wake Forest (hubby could play there, it's a challenging course), Free movies on Tu and Wed mornings at Wakefield 12 - new falls of neuse road at Capital blvd. 9:30 AM. Great way to start the day, or if that's a day hubby wants to play golf? Don't forget to see Falls Lake, too. One of our finest resources.
Downtown - you MUST bring your 5 yo to Marbles!! The Natural Science Museum and History Museum are free admission and worth every penny. Go to the Farmers Market on the other side of downtown - excellent fresh produce, gives you an idea of what people are like (friendly, helpful, etc)
Chapel Hill - check out the botanical gardens and while there look at homes and accessibility.
Durham - get a bulls game in. A TON of fun for the little person, and you will get a flavor of renovated / gentrified downtown Durham too. Cheap tickets!

There are so many opportunities to have fun, so much to see, and so many great enclaves here. I hope you enjoy it as much as we do!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:49 AM

487 posts, read 890,939 times
Where are you coming from? The heat and humidity will be painful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary