Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2010, 10:03 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times

Advertisements

We jusrt had to have a screen porch on our new house. It has a firplace and nice furniture and I thought we would really use it alot. But the pine pollen did such a nasty job on everything out there and I still can't get it up.

I'm hoping I will be able to use it in the fall when it isn't so hot but it started me thinking....do you really use your screen porch and when here in the Triangle?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2010, 10:15 AM

9,848 posts, read 30,277,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by no kudzu View Post
We jusrt had to have a screen porch on our new house. It has a firplace and nice furniture and I thought we would really use it alot. But the pine pollen did such a nasty job on everything out there and I still can't get it up.

I'm hoping I will be able to use it in the fall when it isn't so hot but it started me thinking....do you really use your screen porch and when here in the Triangle?

I don't have one, but my next house will. I consider a screened in porch a "must have" for the Triangle Area. The insects make eating out on my patio almost impossible in the summer. I am envious of people with nice screened in porches, especially those with a ceiling fan, and lighting that allows you to relax out there all evening. I could probably live in a screened in porch - the rest of the house would simply be an added bonus.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:16 AM

6,819 posts, read 9,053,481 times
Quote:

I don't quite understand. Are you saying that you never cleaned off the pine pollen, so you don't use it? I'm not sure what "get it up" means, does that mean "get around to [cleaning] it"? I had to clean a lot of pollen off our porch. I learned to not clean it until after pollen season stopped. I would clean the porch then have it covered with pollen again the next day.

We use our screened in porch all the time. It keeps the mosquitoes away. Even when it's hot and humid the outdoor ceiling fan makes a nice breeze. We sit out there in the evening before going to bed, and on weekend mornings when we have breakfast. There are some days when it's so hot and humid we don't use it. I'm out on the porch right now with the fan going. It feels cool to me because I was mowing the grass for the last 2 hours in the 85+ degree heat, wearing a black T-shirt.

Old 06-05-2010, 10:22 AM

15,714 posts, read 21,064,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North_Raleigh_Guy View Post
I don't have one, but my next house will. I consider a screened in porch a "must have" for the Triangle Area. The insects make eating out on my patio almost impossible in the summer. I am envious of people with nice screened in porches, especially those with a ceiling fan, and lighting that allows you to relax out there all evening. I could probably live in a screened in porch - the rest of the house would simply be an added bonus.
Right there with ya!

We love eating on our deck but at this time of year it's impossible. There are way too many bugs out there that eat us alive.

My next house is going to have a huge screened in deck complete with beadboard ceiling, ceiling fan, fireplace and comfy furniture. My neighbors have a screened area and they are out there every night. I can only dream!

Old 06-05-2010, 10:23 AM

2,459 posts, read 8,076,160 times
We're very much enjoying our screened porch , but to be fair its still pretty new to us. I've been surprised how comfortable it can be with the ceiling fan creating a breeze to help offset the humidity and the lack of bugs in the evenings is another big plus.

Frank

Old 06-05-2010, 11:30 AM

2,908 posts, read 3,871,853 times
I am with the OP, we thought that the screened porch was fine because it was already part of the house, but, we would never add one if the house did not have one.
On the other hand, a true three-season room that is enclosed with windows would be something that we would use.

Old 06-05-2010, 11:33 AM

36,499 posts, read 54,058,385 times
seems like every time I sit on a cushion a puff of yellow pollen comes out. That is what I mean by can't get it all up.

DH is on the computer all night and I don't want to sit there by myself. Guess I'll have to get new cushions and/or new husband!!!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:38 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,710 times
Agree with the above. I'm sitting in my screened porch now, enjoying the ceiling fan and watching the birds at the feeders - it's lovely! Tonight we plan to grill out on the patio and have dinner here on the porch. This is our first time having one in a house and we can't imagine not having one now, we use it constantly. Our cats love it too, and we even keep the litter boxes out here. The pollen is bad but like said above, you just have to wait til it's done and it's only about a month that it looks bad (still usable, just icky). I kept the chairs and tables wiped down, mopped once mid-way through, then waited a few weeks and cleaned again intensely, mopping twice, once with a mop and next on hands/knees with a sponge and towel. A small price to pay once a year, definitely worth it!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:40 AM

662 posts, read 1,643,710 times
Quote:
seems like every time I sit on a cushion a puff of yellow pollen comes out. That is what I mean by can't get it all up.

DH is on the computer all night and I don't want to sit there by myself. Guess I'll have to get new cushions and/or new husband!!!
Yes, new cushions, then next year, take them up when the pollen starts and put them back when it's gone (or replace with non-fabric pillows or pillows with changeable covers)!

Old 06-05-2010, 11:50 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,028,394 times
Two screened porches and the both get used and we love them. Wife out there now and lives out there during the day til the sun comes up round back. It faces West. I love to sleep out there in cold weather curled up in a sleeping bag.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary