Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-07-2010, 04:00 PM

2 posts, read 2,596 times

Advertisements

Alright, i'm sure you everyone on here sees a lot of threads like this but i'm sorry here's another one.

My situation is that my brother, girlfriend and I are all looking to move into a place together preferably a house but have recently decided that we may be open to the idea of a townhouse if big enough. (can you recommend any) We will be visiting the area at the end of this week do some camping hopefully sign a lease and be on our way of becoming NC residents

What we are lookin for is a 3 bedroom 2 bath place and a price range of $1000. Are many concern is that we are not from the area and aren't sure of the "bad areas" we are younger mid 20s wouldnt mind living in downtown raleigh but also wouldnt mind being in the suburbs if need be.

None with jobs in the area as of yet.
My brother is trying to get a job in RTP
Girlfriend is a teacher
Me a Graphic Designer

Thanks in advance for any help
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 07:49 AM

35 posts, read 156,042 times
Check out the Twin Lakes development in Morrisville. It is right outside of RTP and would be a great location for all three jobs. There are a few town homes for rent. About a half hour drive to downtown Raleigh, but close to shopping, restaurants, and parks. Also check Zillow.com.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:50 AM

3,501 posts, read 6,163,097 times
Best advice I can give: don't move here without jobs! Graphic designer jobs are tough to find. Some school systems are actually laying off teachers. And many companies in RTP are either still laying off or not hiring. Not trying to be really negative, but this isn't a cheap place to live -- especially if you don't have jobs to support yourselves. You'll be up against an already sizable pool of locals who are trying to get the few available jobs.

Old 06-08-2010, 08:38 AM

406 posts, read 787,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skaternum View Post
Best advice I can give: don't move here without jobs! Graphic designer jobs are tough to find. Some school systems are actually laying off teachers. And many companies in RTP are either still laying off or not hiring. Not trying to be really negative, but this isn't a cheap place to live -- especially if you don't have jobs to support yourselves. You'll be up against an already sizable pool of locals who are trying to get the few available jobs.
Good Advice the relatively lower unemployment rate does not tell the whole story; unless you are in a really high demand specialty, many jobs here do not pay much...(your results may vary) I would say at least 2 out of 3 of you should have a solid job offer before I would consider the move. IMHO

Old 06-08-2010, 08:53 AM

1,611 posts, read 4,845,994 times
In terms of townhomes, we rented one on Stadium Drive in Wake Forest - a nice & safe area when we moved here. It was over 2000 sf. The main floor had kitchen, with breakfast nook, living room with deck, & half bath. Upstairs was the laundry area, master suite and bedroom with attached bath. There was a walkout basement with a bedroom, full bath and big living area with a patio. That kind of setup would give you plenty of privacy. If you need a realtor recommendation I'd be glad to pass along the name of our realtor- she did a great job for us- pm me...
If 3 of you are splitting the rent you should be ok, but I don't know where you are coming from & what expectations you have.
At least you don't have kids to deal with- it's easier to take a leap like this!
Good luck!

Old 06-08-2010, 02:34 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,812,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
None with jobs in the area as of yet.
BIG mistake. Don't say you haven't been warned.

Old 06-08-2010, 07:47 PM

2 posts, read 2,596 times
well personally i will take just about any job there is. There are jobs everywhere if your willing to work for a chain store or something for short term. I feel my applications are getting weeded out because i do not have a local address.

so anyway back to sections i should stay away from

Old 06-09-2010, 09:59 AM

6,297 posts, read 16,088,107 times
You will "take just about any job there is." The point is those jobs aren't as available to you as you might think...

The people who would regularly take those jobs are in line to do them. So employers have more than enough candidates to choose from, so they don't have to hire:

a) people from out of state or
b) people who are overqualified for the job.

If you were a chainstore employer, would you hire someone from out of state who is overqualified and is there for the short term or would you hire someone who is qualified and lives down the street?

So, again, the best advice you're going to get is: Don't come here without a job or think that you'll get one in 3 months, 6 months, or a year.

You can always use crime maps to see where crime is in any city.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snore View Post
well personally i will take just about any job there is. There are jobs everywhere if your willing to work for a chain store or something for short term. I feel my applications are getting weeded out because i do not have a local address.

so anyway back to sections i should stay away from
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary