Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2010, 04:43 AM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post
Yes, they're native to the SE part of the state around Wilmington and inland, but Hope Mills is a little far for one to stray.
Actually, they're known to be found in Robeson County, Bladen, & lower Cumberland County (where Hope Mills is).

Oh, and there was one found in a creek in Fayetteville last year.

Old 06-10-2010, 06:08 AM

305 posts, read 768,170 times
Yes, that's what I meant by inland, though, Cumberland is far for them to stray and I'd think Robeson, too, though you might know more on that. I have close relatives there and have never heard about gators there. You don't often hear about them in Bladen Co, either, but I wouldn't be surprised to find them in some of the water around there. I grew up in Cumberland county and my dad's was from Bladen, so I'm pretty familiar with both counties. You're more likely to see then in Wilmington and Brunswick counties, I think. There used to be one who was an unofficial mascot of the USS North Carolina.

Old 06-10-2010, 10:40 AM

32 posts, read 92,727 times
Quote:
Yes, they're native to the SE part of the state around Wilmington and inland, but Hope Mills is a little far for one to stray.
Nah, not really. We would see them down there in the bays rarely. Some friends of mine caught a 12 foot alligator on the Pee Dee river near Cheraw, SC last year, though that is a bit farther south.

Black snakes will not keep copperheads away, but king snakes will - by eating them. King snakes are black with white rings around the body.

Old 06-10-2010, 11:10 AM

cafetbird, I can't tell which part of my quote you're disagreeing with. They're native to SE NC or Hope Mills is far for one to stray?

They're definitely around Wilmington and Brunswick co. There was a picture in the Wilmington paper abotu 5 years ago of a huge one crossing a road in Brunswick co. Here are a couple of links with maps of their range:

American Alligator - North Carolina
American Alligators in North Carolina

I always looked for them when I was a kid when we went to Bladen Co (which was frequently, going to White Lake and Elizabethtown), but I never saw any. It's swampy enough in some of the bays, though, that it looked like good habitat.

Old 06-10-2010, 01:19 PM

983 posts, read 3,988,236 times
Quote:
Yes, that's what I meant by inland, though, Cumberland is far for them to stray and I'd think Robeson, too, though you might know more on that. I have close relatives there and have never heard about gators there. You don't often hear about them in Bladen Co, either, but I wouldn't be surprised to find them in some of the water around there. I grew up in Cumberland county and my dad's was from Bladen, so I'm pretty familiar with both counties. You're more likely to see then in Wilmington and Brunswick counties, I think. There used to be one who was an unofficial mascot of the USS North Carolina.

A gator was run over by an 18-wheeler on Hwy. 20 in Lumber Bridge and another was in a ditch in St. Pauls.

Bladen...marshy--perfect for gators. And they're VERY common around Lake Waccamaw in Columbus.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:37 PM

Yes, I've heard of family pets being eaten by gators in Lake Waccamaw, just never heard of one in Hope Mills Lake before. We used to always look for them in White Lake, but were disappointed to never find one.

To the best of my knowledge there are none in Falls or Jordan Lakes, but you never know...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary