Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-08-2010, 03:36 AM

4 posts, read 6,447 times

Advertisements

My husband will be relocating to Raleigh for a job. After doing some research, we are thinking of moving to Chapel Hill, mainly because of the good school system.

From what I gathered, there are 6 elementary schools (Glenwood, Scroggs, FP Graham, Rashkis, Ephesus, Estes Hills).
How do they compare relative to one another?
I realize that much depends on the teacher, your child, and how they get along but are there differences between those schools?

I understand that a few have Dual Language programs (Spanish & Mandarin) and that it is lottery based. how hard is it to get in? how many people apply for how many seats? what happens to those that don;t get in the DL program?

Finally, any neighborhoods to recommend with young children, walking distance to school, possibly walking distance to shopping/ restaurant, without too much of a "new" feel?

Thanks for your replies!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2010, 06:02 AM

305 posts, read 768,845 times
Your list of elementary schools is incomplete. Not sure where you got your info, but the website for the Chapel Hill Carrboro public schools is here. You can get the complete list there.

There are many neighborhoods that meet your criteria. I think all the schools are good from what I hear. I don't have kids in the public schools here, but know many. Carrboro Elementary offers the dual language Spanish program. I think there are a greater number of hispanics in Carrboro Elem. Not sure on that, but that's the impression I have. It's pretty diverse. Of course there are white kids and African American kids and hispanic/Latino kids, but there are also a number of Burmese kids amongst many other ethnic groups. If you don't get in the lottery you just do regular elementary school at that same school.

gotta run, hth

Old 06-08-2010, 06:08 AM

1,994 posts, read 5,967,709 times
It is hard to beat the Estes/Elliot Rd area for walking distance to schools (Estes Hills/Guy Phillips), shopping/restaurants (Eastgate, Whole Foods), library, and the community center park. The only bummer is walking across franklin can feel *******ish, but both Eastgate and the Whole Foods plaza have gotten much more pedestrian friendly in recent years.

Old 06-08-2010, 09:19 AM

305 posts, read 768,845 times
toot68, I'd say Carrboro Elementary wins for walkability. Sweet little mill houses nearby and they've got their own paved greenway/bike path to the school. There are a variety of restaurants not too far away (one right across the street) and the farmer's mkt nearby, too.

I agree that Estes (Estes Hills and Coker Hills neighborhoods) is also very walkable. So is Ephesus (Ridgewood, Colony Woods), McDougle (too many neighborhoods to name, Bolin Forest, etc), of course Rashkis and Scroggs which come with their own built in neighborhoods (Meadowmont and Southern Village, respectively). Seawell is walkable, too, though I'm not sure of the zoning on that one (I think Ironwoods is zoned for Carrboro). Morris Grove I think is walkable from Hogan Farms, et al, but I haven't been out there yet. FPG doesn't seem that walkable, but I see people doing it everyday as my route takes me right by there at school time. Glenwood is walkable, too, with nice restaurants around it also.

I think Morris Grove, Frank Porter Graham, Seawell, would be the farthest from shopping/dining. My vote would go to Carrboro as most walkable, but really the school should be judged on whether it's a good fit academically.

Old 06-09-2010, 08:05 AM

80 posts, read 232,119 times
this wan't part of your question, but my advice is to fully think out the living in Chapel Hill working in Raleigh thing. Commute time can take 45 minutes to 1 hour plus on a regular basis.

Just food for thought. I do the opposite, live in Raleigh, work in Chapel Hill. It's doable, but you will be the primary person taking kids to school, doctor, sports etc.

Old 06-09-2010, 11:08 AM

22 posts, read 52,053 times
In response to the commute comment, what about living in Chapel Hill and working very close to RDU? Is that a reasonable commute?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary