Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary
 [Register]
Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary The Triangle Area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2010, 02:14 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times

Advertisements

PROS:

1. NO SNOW
2. a real gardening season or two
3. FRESH AIR
4. friendly folks (95%of them)
5. No SNOW

CONS:

Other than thinking of something for the CON side I guess it would be lack of a GREAT PIZZA..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2010, 10:34 AM

5,265 posts, read 16,588,635 times
PROS:

Great fall and spring weather

variety of housing options/great housing stock

lush and green, a lot of trees

convenient to beach and mountains for day trips to either

educated population and three amazing nationally recognized universities with great sports

CONS:

Miserable summer weather, and though there is usually only a ittle snow/ice that does occur in the winter, it has 10x worse of an effect than it does in the northeast/midwest

Wake County School system (obviously this only applies to Wake County, you can go to CH/Carborro but the COL there is much higher)

Very sprawled/sterile lack of sense of community. A very transient area that is largely made up of transplants who come and go often.

One of the worst places for allergy sufferers (and unfortunately, you can randomly be affected by allergies even years after living there even if you have never had allergies before!)

Traffic is actually pretty bad compared to most other regions its size. Most of the people who will say "Traffic is so light here" are from LA, NYC/LI, Atlanta, S. Fla, DC or other major cities with notorious traffic. Compared to other cities/metros with similar population figures (in the 1-2 million population range) the traffic is actually much more of a hassle

Old 06-11-2010, 10:42 AM

2,541 posts, read 5,475,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by panchodog View Post
4.My yard is too shady to grow a garden
We also have had a terrible time finding housing with a garden spot. The trees are beautiful...but a little sun is good, too. :-)

I got lucky and found a beautiful woodsy acre with a clearing perfect for a garden.

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 06-11-2010 at 11:21 AM.. Reason: Fixed the quote code

Old 06-12-2010, 05:34 PM

43 posts, read 123,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fester600 View Post
Give Randy's Pizza a try...
I second this one! I loved their Durham locations and am glad to hear they're in other parts of the Triangle too.

Old 08-25-2018, 05:56 PM

12 posts, read 24,910 times
This is exactly the info I was looking for. I live in Southeastern Connecticut. I've been looking for another place to move to upon retirement. All my family is gone (parents, sister) all that's left are a few cousins that don't speak but once a year (if that) Most of my friends have chosen to move their lives too far away. So, I was just looking for a place to begin a new start. The cost of living in CT to WAY too high. So, I found a website that said that CARY and MORRISVILLE were the safest places to live in NC. I am hoping a visit will give me the answer, yea, or nay. Thanks to everyone for their useful info.

Old 08-25-2018, 06:15 PM

6,377 posts, read 5,490,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrentCPT View Post
This is exactly the info I was looking for. I live in Southeastern Connecticut. I've been looking for another place to move to upon retirement. All my family is gone (parents, sister) all that's left are a few cousins that don't speak but once a year (if that) Most of my friends have chosen to move their lives too far away. So, I was just looking for a place to begin a new start. The cost of living in CT to WAY too high. So, I found a website that said that CARY and MORRISVILLE were the safest places to live in NC. I am hoping a visit will give me the answer, yea, or nay. Thanks to everyone for their useful info.
Oye Vey

Old 08-25-2018, 07:57 PM

3,239 posts, read 3,541,250 times
I started reading this thread and saw all the comments about poor job market and thought I was in the twilight zone. Then I read the dates of the posts :-)

Old 08-25-2018, 08:53 PM

873 posts, read 1,016,648 times
BrentCPT, these comments are over 8 years old. A lot has changed, and some of this info was wrong to begin with (e.g., whoever posted "NO SNOW" as an advantage twice). The housing market has heated up in the Triangle in the last few years, so it may not be the big bargain you think it is compared to Connecticut, especially given other costs in the area such as taxes on things you may take for granted where you're living right now. I wish you all the best as you look to move down here, but be sure you're researching with the most updated info and visiting with realistic expectations. Otherwise, you'll end up sorely disappointed, in my opinion.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:05 PM

9,265 posts, read 8,270,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozmoe571 View Post
BrentCPT, these comments are over 8 years old. A lot has changed, and some of this info was wrong to begin with (e.g., whoever posted "NO SNOW" as an advantage twice). The housing market has heated up in the Triangle in the last few years, so it may not be the big bargain you think it is compared to Connecticut, especially given other costs in the area such as taxes on things you may take for granted where you're living right now. I wish you all the best as you look to move down here, but be sure you're researching with the most updated info and visiting with realistic expectations. Otherwise, you'll end up sorely disappointed, in my opinion.
When Triangle prices go up, northeast prices go up more. This current real estate boom isn't isolated to the Triangle.

Old 08-25-2018, 09:23 PM

715 posts, read 888,812 times
BIGGEST con is the political scene...until the old ways go away with the GOP this place stays a nice runner up
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina > Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill, Cary