Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2010, 09:23 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,710 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdyankton View Post
Hello. A couple of years ago I took my family (wife and 2 sons at the time) to the Black Hills during the rally only because of poor planning on my part, not realizing that we were going to stay in the Flintstones Bedrock resort with a bunch of bikers. My fears were of a bunch of Marlon Brandos rebelling on "whatcha got"? etc. As we drove into the Hills, bikes were everywhere, and aside from the occasional cardboard "Show us your ****" signs fastened to the sides of trailers, my boys really got an amazing view of a gathering they dont see everyday.
The best part of the week was in Hill City, coming out of a resturant and this family of 4 trying to cross the street amongst a steady stream of Dusty Hill clones...when a group of bikers just stopped..and politely let us cross the street safely to the other side, then drove off. I was impressed. The whole week, everyone we met could not have been nicer. The exterior did not often match the interior. In resturants and attractions, people would engage in conversation, just as happy to be on vacation as we were. I left with a new appreciation of the event and the people who attend.
My advice is to ENJOY yourself while you are there. DRIVE SAFELY!! We did see one fatal accident, but most bikers are very considerate drivers...they have to be!
Have fun. It will be an experience you can carry with you always. I would go again, with kids, if the situation ever arose. Hope that helps some.
Thank you for reminding the general public that bikers are no different than anyone else (at least about 95% of them are)! They have kids and families, too, for the most part, and they are the nicest group of people you would ever want to know. Some get so caught up on what's on the outside, they forget that about the person on the inside.

By all means, come visit during Sturgis! If you have already made your plans and reservations, there is no need to worry. Just please, drive safely, and be aware of the bikers around you. You have a ton or two of metal protecting you and your family - they don't!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2010, 09:39 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
A lot of people expect Sturgis bikers to be of the Hells Angels variety, but many are the same people you'd meet at a Republican Convention -- professionals, businessmen, bankers, attorneys, etc.

A few years ago during bike week I was refilling my gas tank in Gillette. Next to me was a rough looking, bearded biker with his sexy biker chick. I didn't pay attention to him until he said hi and called me by name. He was our Rotary president, owner of the local funeral home and a well-known businessman. The "biker chick" was his wife, of course, who in real life was the PR manager for one of the largest businesses in town. Normally both were dressed to the "T", maybe the best-dressed couple in the whole town, but they were headed to Sturgis. These are your typical bikers at the Rally. They dress for it and let their beards grow for it, but after Bike Week they'll be sporting business suits. My daughter and her husband try to make the annual trip from Tucson with their bikes. She's a pharmacist in middle management; he's an architect and upper level government manager. Harleys aren't cheap, yanno. There are all kinds in attendance, but just look at it like it's a big costume party.

Old 07-22-2010, 11:57 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
I have seen the arrests and all that. But that is fraction of the demographic.

They are talking attendance being 40% larger than last year. But really the vast majority of bikers are honest hardworking folks.

And we wont talk about trashy bikers in my family. I hope to be in the group by this time next year.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:35 PM

361 posts, read 861,911 times
Hot Springs will be on the quiet side for the rally. The good thing is you have nothing to fear being around all the bikes. As everyone has said nearly all the bikers are regular working people just enjoying a week together at the rally. Relax and enjoy your vacation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City