Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-16-2010, 10:52 PM

4 posts, read 20,089 times

Advertisements

Howdy Everyone. My name is Chris. I am new on this site and I look forward to posting on this site.
My first topic is jobs in South Dakota. Particularly the Rapid City, Ellsworth/Box Elder/ Piedmont areas. I work for a local restaurant right now. But, I did work for Sanmina-SCI. I am trying to get in at Dakota Panel. I can't find any plants here to work at. Also, there is no money here in Rapid City. Its kind of eating my life away. I have to work 50 hours a week just to have a 500-600 dollar paycheck.
Plus, Im sure being a felon has a lot to do with the fact I cant find a job.
-Chris

Old 08-17-2010, 03:04 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
What you are experiencing is typical South Dakota. If you are making $10-12 an hour, your well ahead of most folks.

I've heard of the companies you mentioned, but I'm not familiar with what they do? What kind of work are you looking for?

Old 08-17-2010, 10:15 PM

Well, let me start out by saying that Sanmina-SCI is a electronics manufacturing plant here in Rapid City. Or, I should say was. They made computer components, backplanes, circuit boards, etc. It is the old factory right next to the mall. It closed in June of 2009. I miss it. I am interested in working in a plant/factory. Like Boeing, Sanmina-SCI, Merrilat, or something. Cause I like it. I also hate working in the restaurant.
I applied today at Merrillat ( now called Dakota Panel). I doubt if I will get the job, because the other felons in Rapid City give us other felons who do want to work and turn our lives around a bad rap. I cant get a job at other jobs, I cant get more money, and I am strapped into Bostons making 7.25/hr cooking. Its crap.
I am interested in working in a factory. Or a plant. Because it pays decent, great benefits, and great people.

Old 08-18-2010, 10:51 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,425 times
Hang in there cbrabec. All in good time things will go in the direction you want. I'm glad that you are are one of the good guys that does get your life turned around. That's awesome! Have you thought of moving out of Rapid into a bigger city? I know here in Omaha (as much as I dislike living here) jobs are plentiful. I am sure you could find something that pays more even with your situation. Just a thought....Good luck!

Old 08-19-2010, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGuy1979 View Post
Hang in there cbrabec. All in good time things will go in the direction you want. I'm glad that you are are one of the good guys that does get your life turned around. That's awesome! Have you thought of moving out of Rapid into a bigger city? I know here in Omaha (as much as I dislike living here) jobs are plentiful. I am sure you could find something that pays more even with your situation. Just a thought....Good luck!
I am sorta a good guy Brian. I did violate my probation twice and am on my last chance. I however have thought about jobs somewhere else in the midwest, and unfortunately I dont like this particular part of the country. I want to move to Alabama or somewhere else in the south. Because most plants have left the midwest and moved to the south. The part of Alabama I am from (Huntsville) is the leading industrial city in the south. But since I am on probation for 3 years, I cant leave Rapid City. I want to get off probation and leave because here in Rapid there are no jobs. Sanmina-SCI shut its doors, Merillat got bought out and the new company (Dakota Panel) is hard to get a job at, Purdue Industries is hard to get in at, and thats about it for plants up here in South Dakota. I work out of a restaurant now, and the pay sucks.

Old 08-20-2010, 06:52 AM

380 posts, read 1,000,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbrabec View Post
But since I am on probation for 3 years, I cant leave Rapid City. I want to get off probation and leave because here in Rapid there are no jobs. Sanmina-SCI shut its doors, Merillat got bought out and the new company (Dakota Panel) is hard to get a job at, Purdue Industries is hard to get in at, and thats about it for plants up here in South Dakota. I work out of a restaurant now, and the pay sucks.

I am really sorry man. I guess all I can say is hang in there and hopefully something will come along. I hope that the next couple years go by fast so you can get to a better place and get your life back. I know the feeling. My wife and I want nothing to do with Omaha anymore. All we want is to be in the Black Hills. We were just there last weekend on vacation and it killed us to come home. It's weird how one place can be a place that someone hates and cannot wait to get out of and yet the same place can be a place that someone else wants to be so bad. Funny how that works! Take care man!

Old 08-23-2010, 04:00 PM

151 posts, read 326,230 times
Not much different for my son in same situation in Seattle, Washington. Please hang in there - good things don't come without a lot of work & patience it seems. God bless ya & keep strong - no move P.V.'s - OK?
~ someone's mom ~

Old 08-23-2010, 06:16 PM

819 posts, read 1,743,523 times
Default hi newbie

Hang in there just get lay of the land and follow your dreams.

Old 08-29-2010, 06:41 PM

thanks yall

I must close this thread as it's been determined that job search topics are not allowed.

ElkHunter

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-21-2011 at 08:39 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City