Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2010, 10:38 PM

7 posts, read 12,891 times

Advertisements

Just arrived here in Rapid City. Holy Crap it wasn't this cold in Fond Du Lac. But glad to be here none the less. The Wife and I are here to make arrangements for our move, some may already have made her aquaintance. Also known as ammiller03. So Much to do, so little time. Anyhow, Hello to everyone, and if anyone can give me/us some do's and dont's here locally, it would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2010, 11:01 PM

29 posts, read 120,506 times
Welcome! You've certainly picked a cold week....it was in the 70s less than 2 weeks ago. We enjoyed a nice long mild fall. Good luck with making the arrangements for the move. If you have a few spare hours, snoop around downtown between 5th and 8th streets, on St Joseph and Main. Lunch at the Firehouse is good. If you feel like a trip to the hills, take Hwy 16 south to Hill City (Hwy 385) and have lunch at the Alpine Inn. At Alpine, they have a European lunch menu and only large/sm filet mignon in the evening. Cash or check only, no plastic. Stop in at Prairie Berry Winery and Mistletoe Ranch as you approach Hill City--good to browse. Nice shops to browse in Hill City. Again, welcome home!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:31 PM

I Like tidbits, Your very kind Thank you.

Old 11-23-2010, 11:37 PM

15,949 posts, read 12,328,655 times
you moved from fond du lac WI to rapid city? Congrats! You'll have it much warmer then I.. I moved from Grafton, WI to Brookings.. much colder then Rapid City.. and Grafton for that matter!

Old 11-23-2010, 11:48 PM

Wisconsin is infected....even the birds....seen them flying north this fall and knew it was time to go.....If pictures truly don't lie, I'm going to love this area. Just got in this evening, so haven't seen anything yet.

Old 11-24-2010, 03:02 AM

27,955 posts, read 39,858,132 times
Welcome to Rapid City. Don't judge us by this weeks weather. Silly Canadian air...Eh. Evidently boarder patrol couldn't detain the cold air.

A must do this season is visit Story Books Island and their light show. I think parade of lights runs through downtown this weekend...

Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 AM

451 posts, read 978,013 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dadstoy02 View Post
Wisconsin is infected....even the birds....seen them flying north this fall and knew it was time to go.....If pictures truly don't lie, I'm going to love this area. Just got in this evening, so haven't seen anything yet.
Hi Dadstoy02. ammiller03 and I have visited over email and seriously, what a pleasure to make her acquaintance. From what I understand, we'll be new to SD at around the same time...just a few weeks apart. So sorry to hear about the birds...hubby and I are originally from WI and in fact, I worked in WI this fall until hubby scored the transfer and I received the RC Hospital offer. I honestly have to say that I saw some odd bird behavior as well. What a shame. Good luck with your move as well. AJTucson .

Old 11-24-2010, 09:49 AM

Default Breathtaking!

If enjoying the view was taxed, Id be BROKE!
Went for a drive, took the wife to the hospital for her "hospital stuff" and I have to say.....OH MY LORD, this place is incredible. What a view! The terrain of which this city rests surpasses any and all pictures seen. My memory of my home town of Munising Michigan is dwarfed. Breathtaking, Rapid City! Now please do not be mistaken, I know that after a while, most become blinded by the every day grind and even at some point stop enjoying (and seeing) such magnificent beauty such as this, I beg all in view...Please take even a brief moment to look about you, and just absorb what the good lord has provided. And I'm sure Glaciers helped a bit to
Nice to greet you AJtucson, we all really must set down over a cup of coffee one day and share stories. After the Storm has calmed!

Old 11-24-2010, 12:19 PM

451 posts, read 978,013 times
Excellent point...as we roll/slide(?) in we will remember to enjoy the scenery like we did last fall (we posted multiple pics from our 3-day trip)...it truly is breathtaking. I think it is a great idea to grab coffee sometime...whatever we learn we'd be happy to share.

Old 11-27-2010, 12:30 PM

68 posts, read 135,484 times
It's our's and I can't wait to get back here! The month of December can't go by fast enough for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City