Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2011, 10:38 PM

4 posts, read 6,997 times

Advertisements

Hi everyone!

My (soon to be) husband and I are wanting to relocate to Rapid City. We took a vacation to the Black Hills last year and just fell head over heals in love. We are currently living in northern MN (7 miles from the Canadian border north). We are looking for home for rent in the area whether it be outskirts or in town. We currently live in a town of 2000 so we need the culture, as we are both from the southwest originally! We are looking to rent a home as we have 2 black labs and apartments are out of the question with them! So we need help with finding rental home and any ideas for work, I am a CNA and my husband is in the restaurant business whether it be cooking or managing. Any help will be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-12-2011, 08:29 AM

1,582 posts, read 3,109,230 times
Hopefully, work won't be an issue for you - a piece of advice we are all adamant about when people post this type of request - line up a job BEFORE you come to town! Don't count on it taking no time to find a job, either. 2-3 months is pretty standard. As for rentals with dogs, they are hard to find, but they are out there. You might try checking some of the other posts for information along those lines, since I know the topic has come up before. Best of luck to you!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:14 PM

Thank you for replying! We will both be finding jobs before me move, I really would not want to put that burden on either of us. No matter how big our nest egg is or will be, I would not want to have it vanish for our own stupidity if we were to move down without jobs! Yeeesh!!

Old 08-12-2011, 12:23 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,771,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaKilcrease View Post
Thank you for replying! We will both be finding jobs before me move, I really would not want to put that burden on either of us. No matter how big our nest egg is or will be, I would not want to have it vanish for our own stupidity if we were to move down without jobs! Yeeesh!!
Thank you for thinking it through like that, and having a plan in place. With that attitude you will do really well here.

Old 08-12-2011, 10:58 PM

I am a "planner" and would not be able to stand not having everything in order! At the same time it is very difficult to do 12+ hours away!

Old 08-14-2011, 06:42 AM

819 posts, read 1,743,523 times
Good luck.

Old 08-14-2011, 10:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by airboat5 View Post
Good luck.
You!? We don't need no stinking luck!

Old 08-16-2011, 01:21 PM

380 posts, read 1,000,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JessicaKilcrease View Post

Ask any regular on here and they will all tell you that my wife and I wanted to live in Rapid SO incredibly bad. All we needed was for our lease on our apartment to end and then we would be leaving Omaha NE and heading to God's country. However, we are still here in NE. It came down to employment. My wife was able to find a job as a waitress. Not exactly what she wanted, but at least it was a job. As for me, I am in the automotive business. I don't sell cars, I do other duties to keep my dealership running smooth. I spent a week in Rapid trying to land a job. Guess what? I left empty handed. No one wanted to hire me because either the position was filled or they didn't have a need for my service. Sure, I could have tried another occupation all together, but I didn't feel comfortable doing that. When it was all said and done my wife ended up calling the steak house back and saying thanks, but no thanks and I stayed where I was at. We never got moved like we wanted to. We couldn't get the work we needed. I couldn't take a 50% pay cut either as one job prospect offered me. Wages are less in Rapid that you may be accustomed to. Just make sure you get everything all lined up first. If it all works out in the employment, then the rest will fall into place and you will love it there. We did. We had the luxury to live there for six weeks back a couple years back. I call it a luxury because it was that nice. No humidity, no crime, friendly people and a beautiful location. If you have time, read this thread I created about our experience living there. //www.city-data.com/forum/south...spitality.html

I wish you and your soon to be hubby the best of luck in making it happen. If it all works out, it will be the best decision for you guys that you would have ever made. You'll thank yourselves as you have children too.

Take care!

Old 08-16-2011, 02:00 PM

Thank you so much for your reply! I really appreciate your honesty and sincerity! This is still a relatively new idea we are throwing around, so we are just putting our "feelers" out, if it is supposed to happen I am a firm believer it will! Beyond that we will move hell and high water to try and make it happen because we have such a strong pull towards Rapid City and the black hills in general! While on vacation last year, the whole week we were out and about we kept catching ourselves saying" We could be here and do this!" So we are defiantly hoping, wishing, and praying!

Old 08-29-2011, 02:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisitRapidCity View Post
Contact the Chamber of Commerce in Rapid City! 605-343-1744 and request a relocation packet. Or visit them online at Homepage - Rapid City Chamber of Commerce. You can also find all that there is to see and do in Rapid City and the surrounding area on the Convention & Visitors Bureau (CVB) website at http://www.VisitRapidCity.com.
Would you quit spamming the forum, please. No advertising is part of the terms of service here. This is a flagrant violation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
View detailed profiles of: