Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:01 AM

3,941 posts, read 14,710,979 times

Advertisements

The new mall is supposed to be both an outdoor and indoor mall. Meaning that some stores will be featured inside, and some will be separate from the mall, but still on mall grounds. Much like Flatiron Crossing in Boulder, CO or even like Empire East in SooFoo.

'Big Box' department stores will be linked ny the indoor stores.

I have also heard rumor of United Artists Theatres moving in and a Macaroni Grille restaurant. But, this is just speculation!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2007, 10:09 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,921,728 times
By what was posted on the forum, Rushmore Crossings will be an excellent addition to Rapid City. I am curious to see how the Homestake being turned into a science lab will do to the area's economy. I am sure that will be a boost, more so 10-20 years down the road. If the developers want to put in a massive project like Rushmore Crossing, they must see some postivie trends in the area right now and in the future. That should speak well for Rapid.

Old 09-01-2007, 12:26 AM

There are many future possibilities for Rapid City and the entire Black Hills region. Most of which may come with the completion of the Heartland Expressway, which is a major artery running from Regina, SK through Rapid City and to the Mexican border.

This is likely to bring in many more developers, businesses, and trade to the area. Sections of this project are completed too. The largest ones being the section running from Rapid City to Nebraska, and the section from East Denver (Aurora) to Nebraska.

Once that is finished, the Denver-Rapid commute will take roughly 4 hours instead of the current 6-7 hours!!!

Hometake is also very important to our economy and we are very grateful to have been chosen! Once it is up and running, many scientific companies are likely to move in creating many jobs for the area that do not just focus on agriculture or banking. These companies can range from pharmaceuticals to chemicals to environmental researchers... YOU NAME IT!!!

Old 09-01-2007, 03:16 PM

2 posts, read 6,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgussler View Post
Crap, when I lived there we had 8th st. We called it Rushmore road cause that's where it went. Go South out of town and wind up the old highway and the Reptile Gardens was at the top of the hill. haha Am I dating myself again?

Yep..........you must be 50ish............ There was a marked off quarter mile at the top of the hill.........ran many races there..................

Old 09-01-2007, 05:46 PM

Warbird and jgussler-

That must have been very fun to race along Rushmore Road and Highway 16!!! Anymore, there is too much traffic and too many tourists to even consider racing on that street. Rushmore Road is still considered the "main drag" to most teens in Rapid City and it even hosts "Cruiser Night" in July, but all the racers on that street get pulled over or hospitalized!!!

Rapid was once a small tight-knit community where everyone knew just about everyone. Not so much anymore!

Old 09-01-2007, 05:51 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
We used to go out 8th and it was a very windy 2 lane road. About half way up the hill was a deep canyon on the right. To this day, cars that didn't make that curve are still at the bottom. I don't think they were ever pulled out of there.

At the top of the hill was the Reptile Gardens. Almost right out front was the quarter mile. There was also a 1 mile stretch marked off on Skyline to give you more of a slolum course.

At that time, you might get 1 or 2 cars an hour coming out 16. At night anyhow.

Yes, I'm fifty three.

Old 09-02-2007, 05:50 AM

56 posts, read 267,733 times
Welcome to Heartland Expressway on the Web!

Thank you NAFTA.

Old 09-02-2007, 06:53 PM

jgussler-

I will have to go into the canyon sometime to see if there are any old car at the bottom! If you go off of Highway 16 and Skyline Drive there are many places to off-road and hike. A girl I know got stuck in a mud pit in her dad's $75000 Range Rover! Needless to say, she didn't ever get to drive it again!

I cannot imagine Rushmore Road having only two windy lanes. With as much traffic as it carries, there is actually need for another lane!!! Rushmore Road leads to many ousing developments outside of Rapid City limits too.

So much for the Good Ole' Days!!! Haha!

Old 09-02-2007, 08:02 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,041,465 times
Danny,

As your going up the new road (ha, I say new but it's been there for 30 years) about 2/3rds of the way up, you can see the old road just over the hill. The old road has a guard rail and on the other side, it's about 600-700 ft down. That's where the cars are.

Housing? When you left Rapid City and went up the hill, the Reptile Gardens was on the right. Continue out and just before you dropped over the hill to the new Reptile Gardens, Duhamels was on the left. That was the only house until you dropped down in the valley and then there was a couple houses by a camp ground. They were only used during the summer when the campground was open. Then there wasn't anything until you hit Rockerville. Only 3 houses there and all three were owned by Berg. Oh, and a motel and convienience store. They were also owned by Berg.

Old 09-03-2007, 09:01 AM

Jgussler-

Wow! Duhamels still live over that-a-way in a development, but now there are several large developments when you go past Reptile Gardens. Copper Oaks has many larger homes and it connects with Countryside, a development off of Sheridan Lake Road, which connects with Red Rock, a golf course development where many surgeons and lawyers live.

Also, Sandra Bullock bought a home near Countryside, and Angelina Jolie is building a house in Red Rock!!!

I will be sure to look for Old Highway 16!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City