Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-10-2012, 11:48 PM

13 posts, read 21,786 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone. Sorry for yet another moving question - I know you must get lots of these on this board. Not sure where else to look for answers!

My DH has applied to SDSMT and so we may be moving to the area this summer sometime, before fall semester. My main problem is apartment searching and staying within the budget. I am seeing a few apartments that look great but not many will take dogs. We have 2 very small dogs (6 lbs and 15 lbs).

Wants for an apartment:

-would like to stay in the $700 range
-only need 1 or 2 bedrooms
-must accept dogs (they are small and friendly!)
-washer dryer hookups in the unit (have had my laundry stolen out of laundry rooms at apartments before so for me, this is almost not negotiable)
-designated off street parking would be nice but not the most important

Any suggestions for us? Any good experiences with a specific complex or property management company?

There are 2 complexes (owned by the same property management) that meet all of the needs except price - and it looks like with $25 pet rent for each dog we would be pushing $900. eeeeek.

We live in the Minneapolis area currently so we are thinking our weather is similar to yours (very cold winter and mild summer). Is that true?

Is there a large organic/natural foods/farmer's market type of thing going on there at all? I think you guys have a natural foods store there but I'm wondering if it's very popular.

Are there any yoga studios or classes you could recommend?

Are there any really awesome veterinarians in the area? And is there an emergency vet available (especially a 24 hr one)?

What is the college culture like there? Any tips for someone thinking about coming to SDSMT?

Do you see a large military population?

What is the culture of the city otherwise like?

What are some great places to visit and especially outdoor stuff to do? (hiking, hunting, fishing areas)

I really appreciate any feedback at all... I have lots of questions and lots more all the time. The apartment is my biggest concern. If there are any online resources I should see then feel free to point me in that direction too! Thanks a lot.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2012, 12:41 AM

579 posts, read 997,651 times
I will leave the apartment questions for someone else.

Quote:
We live in the Minneapolis area currently so we are thinking our weather is similar to yours (very cold winter and mild summer). Is that true?
Winters are mild compared to Minneapolis but they are longer. Minneapolis seems to be miserable between mid November and mid March with little variance. Rapid City can be just as cold as MSP, or be 40 degrees warmer. The snow does not hang around all winter as there are many 50 and 60 degree days through the winter. It does snow later though, an early May blizzard is not out of the questions.

Quote:
Is there a large organic/natural foods/farmer's market type of thing going on there at all? I think you guys have a natural foods store there but I'm wondering if it's very popular.
There is a small farmer's market during the summer and fall, but you are going to be very disappointed in the overall produce/natural food/organics.

Quote:
Are there any really awesome veterinarians in the area? And is there an emergency vet available (especially a 24 hr one)?
We liked the Mountain View Animal Hospital when we moved there. I am not sure about the 24 hours question.

Quote:
What is the college culture like there? Any tips for someone thinking about coming to SDSMT?
It is a great university with a small town feel and culture. You will hear plenty of great things about it.

Quote:
Do you see a large military population?
You see a lot of men and women in uniform if that is your question. There is also a large retired veteran population. It is a very patriotic city.

Quote:
What is the culture of the city otherwise like?
Small town midwest or rockies. I do not know how to really describe it though. It has a very small town feel.

Quote:
What are some great places to visit and especially outdoor stuff to do? (hiking, hunting, fishing areas)
You have the entire Black Hill National Forest with plenty of fishing, hunting and hiking. It is over 1,000,000 acres. If you are into outdoors you will never run out of things to do. The other direction you have the Badlands.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:19 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
I go to the Animal Clinic of Rapid City. I REALLY like them and they have a 24 hr emergency clinic, which I have had to use a couple times. I highly recommend them.

I can address some of your other questions in a PM.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:29 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,785,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBeagleLady View Post
I go to the Animal Clinic of Rapid City. I REALLY like them and they have a 24 hr emergency clinic, which I have had to use a couple times. I highly recommend them.

I can address some of your other questions in a PM.
I agree on Animal Clinic. We are on a first name basis with the good folks there.

Old 01-11-2012, 06:39 PM

6,143 posts, read 7,557,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
I agree on Animal Clinic. We are on a first name basis with the good folks there.
Yes, we are doing our part to keep them in business.

Old 01-11-2012, 07:08 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,857,159 times
"Is there a large organic/natural foods/farmer's market type of thing going on there at all?"

Check out www.bountiful-harvest.com/
It is a food co-op with fresh fruit and vegetables that are mostly or all organic as well as other foods. Their distribution points and times will be on their website.

uh

Last edited by ElkHunter; 01-11-2012 at 08:42 PM.. Reason: Fixed link so people can just click on it.

Old 01-12-2012, 12:36 PM

412 posts, read 958,374 times
There are 2 apartment complexes that I know of which would meet your needs (Harmony Heights and Stoney Creek Highlands) but both of them are more expensive than what you're looking for. In your price range you may not be able to find all of the criteria you want (like in-unit laundry hookups). If you're willing to drive, you might check surrounding communities such as Box Elder to see what's available. You might also look at house rentals, which tend to be priced competitively with apartments. I went through A&A Property Managment and found them to be reasonable to deal with.

I've been taking my critters to Dakota Hills Veterinary Clinic because they're open 7 days and it's hard for me to get there during the week. They also have a 24-hour emergency service. They have all the latest gadgets. But holy cow, they are expensive. When I get the bill I sometimes consider selling a kidney to pay it.

There is a natural food store called Staple & Spice Market, and there are a couple of others such as Main Street Market and Breadroot (which is a co-op). I hadn't heard about the Bountiful Harvest co-op, but will have to check it out. There's a farmer's market in Founder's Park in the summer months which runs 3 days a week. There are organic selections in the supermarkets, but they are generally shriveled and pitiful.

SDSM&T has a good reputation. Their engineering program in particular is excellent.

Lots of Air Force folks around here since we're in close proximity to Ellsworth AFB in Box Elder.

The whole area, even to some extent Rapid City itself, does feel small townish and rural to varying degrees. I like that. It's laid-back and friendly. People claim that there is a rush hour, but I've never actually seen it. I think I have different criteria for "rush hour." To me it means waiting through 12 to 18 changes of the light to get through the intersection or having to play kamikaze pilot to get onto the gridlocked interstate because no one will let you in (I'm originally from metropolitan SoCal). Here it might mean waiting through 2 changes of the light, or having to stop for a train.

Old 01-12-2012, 02:01 PM

1,582 posts, read 3,110,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncleharley View Post
"Is there a large organic/natural foods/farmer's market type of thing going on there at all?"

Check out www.bountiful-harvest.com/
It is a food co-op with fresh fruit and vegetables that are mostly or all organic as well as other foods. Their distribution points and times will be on their website.

uh
Not sure what happened with this one (noticed EH "fixed" it...), but the group UH was referring to is Bountiful Baskets. Though, that other link looks like it's worth investigating, too!

Old 01-12-2012, 02:17 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,857,159 times
Thanks guys. Bountiful Baskets is the organization I was referring too.

uh

Old 01-13-2012, 04:36 PM

13 posts, read 21,786 times
Harmony Heights and Stoney Creek are the two I was looking at. They look really great but the price is high.

I have been trying to call them but have not been able to get through. I'm wondering how quickly apartments fill up in the summer, before the semester starts. Whether it would be easy to drive down and just move right in.

Thanks a lot for the help! I will come back here when I have some more questions. I got a lot more responses than I thought I would so thank you so much.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City