Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 07:19 PM

32 posts, read 220,941 times

Advertisements

After a trip out there in June I'm greatly considering a move to the Rapid City area in the spring.

I'm a butcher by trade, and am interested in pursuing the career. I know that agriculture is a staple of South Dakota commerce, but I wonder if butchers are also an integral part out there.

Are there a fair amount of butcher shops/retail grocery chain stores out there?

Being a butcher is a tough job to find via the internet, that's for sure. There is no national code for meatcutting, certification, or set of rules to follow. It is more of a trade that is "proven."

Would you say my chances would be good at finding a job out there?

Thank you folks in advance.

CT
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2007, 09:59 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Hello Theiroff-

I live in Rapid City and the major grocers are Safeway (2), Family Thrift Center (3), Albertson's (1), and Wal*Mart. I believe that there are a few game processing plants too....

We used to have a packing plant, but it burned down in 2002 sorry!

I actually know a butcher who works at the westside Safeway... she sells my mom Mary Kay! I am sure you will have no problem finding work here!

Any more questions don't hesitate!

Old 08-14-2007, 02:42 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,053,353 times
Wow, I'm going to date myself. We used to take our game, cows, pigs, and sister in law to a plant that was on E St Patrick. It was between the Robbinsdale Shoping center (course, then it was a grocery store, barber shop and drugstore, but the called it The Mall) and Hwy 79. Just past the bowling alley.

Old 08-14-2007, 12:38 PM

955 posts, read 3,648,230 times
Piedmont also has a shop that cuts meats and game for people

Old 08-14-2007, 01:27 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
jgussler-

I know what plant you are talking about it was called RC Western Meats. I believe that now it is a beef jerky company; it may have closed though.

Old 08-14-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
jgussler-

I know what plant you are talking about it was called RC Western Meats. I believe that now it is a beef jerky company; it may have closed though.
When I was growing up in Rapid, it was take your game there, or take it to Black Hills Packing. But it burned down 20 years ago.

There was a big open field on both sides of it. Used to ride our go-kart out there for hours.

Old 08-15-2007, 02:14 PM

32 posts, read 220,941 times
Hey, thank you guys for your replies.

It's going to be difficult to find work out there when I won't be moving there for the better part of a year.

I know that one of the largest beef packers is located in the very southeastern corner of your state, IBP in Dakota Dunes.

Funny, IBP stands for Iowa Beef Packers, but they are located in SD.
Just over the river from Iowa though.

I looke forward to living out there, I don't know what makes me want to move out there other than gut feeling, and wide open spaces.

I only spent a few days out there but I enjoyed it greatly.

I like the whole idea of the American West, I need to get out of Appalachia. Just imagine, driving 500 miles north, or 500 south from where I'm at and everything is the same type of landscape. Haha, and if I head 500 miles west of here I'm in the middle of the plains.

Again, thank you folks

CT

Old 08-15-2007, 02:20 PM

Well, figure this. People gotta eat. It's there, just got to find it.

Old 08-15-2007, 07:12 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,439,639 times
Well, it's nice to see someone going with their gut feeling. Bet you'll turn out well here when you move. That's one thing you'll have here. There's plenty of variety with scenery. So. Dak. is often called the land of infinite variety and it's true.

Yes, it is funny about the name. Just a few years ago, we had a pork plant here that was called "Iowa Pork". Later it became "Dakota Pork", but it has now closed.

Old 10-14-2007, 08:58 AM
dpf

132 posts, read 316,175 times
Since I don't have any idea what your financial situation is this may not be an option. Many small town butcher shops are closing because the owners are retiring and no one is trained to take over. Most would be turn key operations. You could probably buy a business for a very reasonable price. My only suggestion is that you are able to make many of the local favorites, such as brats, deer (beer) sticks, jerky, salami, etc. One of the most popular butchers is in a tiny town called Delmont. Outstanding quality to the point they have expanded to Mitchell. Goes to prove if you're good, people will come regardless of your location. Just be prepared to work some long hours during hunting season!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City