Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 04:29 AM

42 posts, read 63,180 times

Advertisements

I've been doing some research on RC as a place to relocate. It seems ideal for me as I really like exploring the outdoors, don't really care for the big cities and don't need many amenities from the city I live in. I think it's a nice town and haven't found anything really negative other than its size and isolation from any big cities (which has its advantages).
I recently applied for a position there and when I inquired how the position came to be open, I was told the person wanted to relocate out of the area. They lost another person within this small department recently for the same reason.
This concerns me as it made me think that perhaps I'm missing something in my research that is causing people to leave the city. The job pays well enough for the area so I felt that was unlikely to be the cause. So I figure something bad must be happening in either RC itself , within the organization or it's all just a coincidence.
I thought I'd reach to the folks here to see if there's anything amiss in RC that would be driving people away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2016, 05:35 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
There's no mass exodus. People move away on a regular basis. It is usually career related. Mainly that opportunities outside the area pay much better or it is the next move in their career.

The other factor is the airbase. Spouse is transferred to a new duty station and the family moves.

Old 08-17-2016, 08:22 AM

125 posts, read 184,340 times
The statistics show that Pennington County has steady population growth so I don't think you need to be concerned about and significant migration of people out of the city/county. I do think some people move here for a job or for recreation opportunities and find out that's it's not a good fit so they move on. And the comment about the airbase transfers and people leaving for professional growth is also very accurate.

I moved here 3 1/2 years ago for two reasons, I had a good job opportunity that would advance my career and the abundance of outdoor recreation opportunities. It's not likely I would have moved here for just one of those two reason but together they sealed the deal. It's been a good fit for me and my family. I think Rapid City is about the perfect sized town and the fact that it is the largest town for hours in any direction means it has a lot more amenities that similar sized cities across the U.S. The major downside, as you pointed out, is that it's just so far from any major metro. The drive to Denver isn't terrible, but I do wish it was only 2-3 hours instead of 6. But you can't have everything in life.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:01 PM

42 posts, read 63,180 times
I appreciate your shared insights. I feel better about not having missed something going on there.

Old 08-17-2016, 06:12 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,775,529 times
Salaries and wages are on the lower end of the spectrum. Housing isn't cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
View detailed profiles of: