Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 08:58 PM

3 posts, read 7,450 times

Advertisements

Hello! We are a family of 5 from MI looking to make a start somewhere new and we came across this forum and it really got our attention. With economy being so bad in MI the home of the "BIG THREE" we are at a point where we need something better. We watched a video about RC on another site and just had to know more! We have read alot of the threads and are looking for help with some of our questions.

My wife currently works as a natural gas service worker for one of the states larger utility companies and I run a construction fastener warehouse. My wife makes a good wage and enjoys where shes at but the economy and the crime and unemployment in the state are crazy! We have 3 kids( 16, 13, 11) and want a better life for them and our family.

We looked into Black Hills Energy the power company there and it seems to be exactly what we would need to be able to make the move to RC happen.
Any info on them or any like them would be great!!! Thank you for listening hope to hear from everyone soon.

PS All the info you have shared with others before has also been a great help to us. Thanks again
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2008, 09:04 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Black Hills Corporation - Job Opportunities

Hi Antinmi and welcome to the forum. Danny and others will be along to help you shortly, but here's a link that has job opportunites for Black Hills Power.

Hopefully you can take a trip to the Hills because I think you'll be sold on the area. It's very beautiful out there. Good luck to you and your family.

Old 03-02-2008, 09:27 PM

Default WOW that was fast

Thanks for such a fast reply We look forward to reading more!

Old 03-02-2008, 09:37 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,924,072 times
Black Hills Corporation is a growing customer and would have good opportunities for you. They will be adding a number of jobs with the acqusition of another utility company. The Black Hills area is a very scenic area and crime low for the most part. The unemployment rate in South Dakota runs 2-3% and there are jobs open.

There are a lot of caring people in South Dakota and the kids in the school system perform well compared to their counterparts in other states. Most the the teachers care about their education and many parents are involved in the school system with the School Board, PTAs, and other school-related activities.

There are a number of areas that have electric cooperatives. Some cities operate their own electric.

Welcome to the South Dakota site.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:19 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,715,272 times
I grew up in Rapid City and I think it is a great place to raise a family and settle down. I have never been a victim of crime and Rapid City offers a lot for a young family to do. Lke others said, Black Hills Corporation has merged with Northwestern Corporation and they are hiring like crazy. I read somewhere that BHC has tripled their clientele and now covers a 4 state region with Rapid City as the headquarters.

Black Hills Corporation Proposes Strategic Merger with Northwestern Corporation
Black Hills Corporation Merger

What other information would you like to know about Rapid City and the Black Hills?

Old 03-03-2008, 09:01 PM

Default Any large companies in Rapid City area looking for workers?

Hello again from MI No luck on the energy companies yet but we will keep trying. Does anyone know of any factories or warehouse type job openings? I have shipping and receiving, forklift and inventory experience. I saw talk of a CAT factory in the area? If so any help would be great!!

Thanks again to all for your help!!

Old 03-03-2008, 09:04 PM

Have you tried Menard's, Lowe's, or Ace? They each have big warehouses and lumberyards in Rapid City. I really hope your move works out for you!
Try Black Hills Power and Light too.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:38 PM

54 posts, read 196,280 times
Default Hi Antinmi!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANTINMI View Post
Hello! We are a family of 5 from MI looking to make a start somewhere new and we came across this forum and it really got our attention. With economy being so bad in MI the home of the "BIG THREE" we are at a point where we need something better. We watched a video about RC on another site and just had to know more! We have read alot of the threads and are looking for help with some of our questions.

My wife currently works as a natural gas service worker for one of the states larger utility companies and I run a construction fastener warehouse. My wife makes a good wage and enjoys where shes at but the economy and the crime and unemployment in the state are crazy! We have 3 kids( 16, 13, 11) and want a better life for them and our family.

We looked into Black Hills Energy the power company there and it seems to be exactly what we would need to be able to make the move to RC happen.
Any info on them or any like them would be great!!! Thank you for listening hope to hear from everyone soon.

PS All the info you have shared with others before has also been a great help to us. Thanks again
Let us be first to welcome your possiable move to SD, ive lived here for 20 years, my husband is from gaylrd MI, and we just moved out of MI for smae reasons a year ago...we tried down south for warmer weather..but sad to say...no jobs....but...since your wife is into energy work....look up the TVA here in tennessee...it also spreads out into other southern states to...so depending on her skills, might find something, cost of living is very cheap dwn here versus northern states, we are only moving back to south dakota cuz my husband finally landed a good job up there, otherwise we left there cuz of no good payen jobs and higher cost of living. if you can land a very good payen job in SD, then go for it, your heat bills wont be anything near MI bills, no state tax, overall cheaper then MI by far, and lots to do in black hills/rapid city area. you will love the milder winters compared to MI, thou to us SD natives, they are cold...but nothen compared to MI....lol, summers will be bit longer and hotter then your used to...but you will love it. when it snows there...a few days later it mostly melts off...not build up and build up like back in MI. there is lots of lakes and parks and scenic drives and state parks that are better then MI, you will so love camping in SD, center lake being my personal favorite..hike, fish, clean, showers, etc, its the best!!!
rapid city offers everything you will need shopping wise without that big city feel, its spaced out enough that you dont feel crowded, there is a mall and every store ya can think off thruout town to cover all your needs, as well as top notch medical care, with a abundance of medical offices thruout town, and there is plenty of smaller towns thru out hills that offer most of what ya would need if ya choose to live outside of rapid to. if you are retired military like us, there is the AF base 15 min from rapid, which is a nice bonus. rent and housing prices are equal, and sometimes cheaper then MI, and i beleive i just heard rapid gas per gallon was 2.29? so that to cheaper then MI....thou gas prices everywhere are nothen to brag about....lol. we are moving back to blackhills(sturgis) next month(april), and would love to help ya with any more info ya might need, and maybe hook up over a bbq and welcome in some fellpow michiganders to our beautifull state!!!feel free to private message if ya want.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:21 PM

13,495 posts, read 37,442,065 times
Suthern, it's good to hear that you're moving back home. I'm sorry to say that gas is much higher then that in SD though. It's over 3.00 a gallon throughout the whole state.

Old 03-13-2008, 09:39 PM

^ Try $3.49 as of Wednesday. I need a scooter!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City