Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-02-2020, 03:40 PM

142 posts, read 308,537 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I was just suggesting another SD option that might suit people from New York City better. The Sioux Falls metro area is probably over 200,000 if you add in nearby cities like Harrisburg and Brandon. Interstate 29 provides quick access to Fargo (to the north) and Sioux City and Omaha (to the south). Rapid City is a bit more isolated in that respect: I-90 takes you to Gillette, Wyoming to the west and Wall Drug to the east.

Not sure by what you meant 'Sioux Falls just doesn't cut it'. Anyway, enjoy your move.

I considered suggesting Sioux Falls to the OP in my initial post but was reticent because the OP seems to have his sights strongly set on Rapid City. Sioux Falls is really no less of a small town than Rapid when comparing with Manhattan/NYC. Not in my opinion anyway. I do think Sioux Falls would be more receptive to the types of things the OP is proposing/interested in. Sioux Falls, though lacking in mountains, does offer incredible health care and more economic opportunity. A very accepting and downright welcoming business community as well and possibly better professional services (more choices at least). I don't want to bag on RC too much here...love the area. Early on a poster said something about culture shock. I do think OP may encounter that anywhere in the state though it's certainly not a reason to move forward. Again, this is all just my perspective.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-02-2020, 03:44 PM

142 posts, read 308,537 times
https://www.forbes.com/best-places-f...ss/list/small/

Sioux Falls is ranked #1 and Rapid City #35 for 2019.

Old 02-02-2020, 04:49 PM

27,957 posts, read 39,779,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CoteauKid View Post
https://www.forbes.com/best-places-f...ss/list/small/

Sioux Falls is ranked #1 and Rapid City #35 for 2019.
If it would come down to a Sioux Falls versus Rapid City, I would move to Omaha.

Old 02-02-2020, 08:25 PM

112 posts, read 151,513 times
Whatta Game!
A Heartland Super Bowl Victory! About darned time!
Congrats to the Hunts!
Congrats to KC!
What's the chosen team of SW SD? Vikings? Broncos? Seahawks? Or none, really.

But the Half-time show... What the - WHAT!!
JLow and Shakira, two talented singers and beautiful women. But what is it with the skanky 'ho dancing!
What father in America wants their daughters to think that acting like the Whores of Babylon is a good thing? I don't get it! I hate what Hollywood is pedaling and America's parents say NOTHING! I must be getting too old for this stuff.

Am I wrong here?

Last edited by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu; 02-02-2020 at 08:40 PM.. Reason: incomplete

Old 02-03-2020, 11:15 AM

4,862 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainbowFamilyRedWhite&Blu View Post
Whatta Game!
A Heartland Super Bowl Victory! About darned time!
Congrats to the Hunts!
Congrats to KC!
What's the chosen team of SW SD? Vikings? Broncos? Seahawks? Or none, really.

But the Half-time show... What the - WHAT!!
JLow and Shakira, two talented singers and beautiful women. But what is it with the skanky 'ho dancing!
What father in America wants their daughters to think that acting like the Whores of Babylon is a good thing? I don't get it! I hate what Hollywood is pedaling and America's parents say NOTHING! I must be getting too old for this stuff.

Am I wrong here?
You can bet on anything at the Super Bowl. Whether J-Lo would twerk or not I believe was on the list.

Old 02-03-2020, 04:26 PM

3,786 posts, read 5,329,611 times
I would bet that SE South Dakota leans heavily towards the Vikings. I know that I did when I was growing up East River. And West River (west of the Missouri) likely leans towards the Broncos. Just a guess, but I did grow up in SD so maybe I remember something correctly.

Old 02-03-2020, 05:01 PM

4,862 posts, read 6,927,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Teak View Post
I would bet that SE South Dakota leans heavily towards the Vikings. I know that I did when I was growing up East River. And West River (west of the Missouri) likely leans towards the Broncos. Just a guess, but I did grow up in SD so maybe I remember something correctly.
That's the breakdown pretty much . You'll find more Green Bay fans in Sioux Falls than you can bear as well. There are small groups of Kansas City and Chicago Bear fans as well.

Old 02-03-2020, 06:20 PM

112 posts, read 151,513 times
How would you rank the major sports in Rapid City in terms of interest and fan base?
My total guess? What do you think?
1 Rodeo
2 Football
3 Baseball
4 Hockey
5 Basketball
6 Soccer
7 May not even register... Tennis, golf, Lacrosse???

And how common is it for kids to have Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts be a part of their childhood?

Old 02-03-2020, 08:17 PM

9,724 posts, read 21,235,515 times
I don't think RC is into rodeo real big. You'd think it might be, but for whatever reason, Gillette seems to have much more rodeo than RC. It's held year-round here in Gillette, all kinds, including a full week of National High School Rodeo Finals about every other year. (Obviously, in the winter rodeos are held indoors.)

Football, basketball and baseball are big in the area, probably in that order. Golf is big, just as it is across the nation. Soccer is getting big, but it's not there yet, and I'd say the same about hockey.

Scouts is pretty popular, probably about like it is most places across the country. My daughter was very active in Brownies, but I think by Girl Scout time she had other interests. My son never did get into scouting. We (wife and I) did interrupt much of our kids' summer activities by sending them off to their grandparents (both sides) for most of the summer each year. My son got really into baseball once into high school, and he was on the high school golf team by 8th grade.

Old 02-04-2020, 07:10 AM

249 posts, read 242,152 times
High School football is popular in Hot Springs. College football can create some conversations if Nebraska is playing. On a scale of 1 to 10, professional football comes in at about a 1. I would also give Rodeo a 4 or 5 on the same scale. It is kinda quiet down here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City