Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-30-2020, 08:52 PM

7,631 posts, read 4,551,572 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have referrals for:

Gardener/Lawncare/Snow Removal (is that one here?)
Home Cleaning
Dry Cleaning
Internet Provider
Dentist
Best Cell Service
Handyman Repairs
Construction Crews

It doesn't have to be for all, and skip if you don't have someone you think is awesome. I can do yelp, but, well, you know. Feel free to throw others up there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-12-2020, 06:42 AM

27,957 posts, read 39,682,605 times
Sorry I am late to this. I would have hoped someone would have jumped in. Anyway, I will offer my opinions here.

As far as lawn care etc. Me, however the lawn looks terrible. I toy with the idea starting up doing some landscaping work again. It would justify some of by tools and equipment.

Dry Cleaning: Heritage cleaners.

Internet: Midco.

Dentist: Dr. Saunders at Bloom Family Dentistry.

Cell phone service: Verizon. AT&T is the other major player here. However, there are several areas in the western part of the state that it doesn't work. Usually those are the places where I work. My work phone is through AT&T and my person phone is Verizon. I take more work calls on my personal phone. I hope that made sense.

Handyman Repair: I do my own work and repair. Mostly. Unless it is something technical or specific.

Construction crews: Are you talking general contractor or something trade specific?

Old 07-14-2020, 12:26 AM

7,631 posts, read 4,551,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SD4020 View Post
Sorry I am late to this. I would have hoped someone would have jumped in. Anyway, I will offer my opinions here.

As far as lawn care etc. Me, however the lawn looks terrible. I toy with the idea starting up doing some landscaping work again. It would justify some of by tools and equipment.

Dry Cleaning: Heritage cleaners.

Internet: Midco.

Dentist: Dr. Saunders at Bloom Family Dentistry.

Cell phone service: Verizon. AT&T is the other major player here. However, there are several areas in the western part of the state that it doesn't work. Usually those are the places where I work. My work phone is through AT&T and my person phone is Verizon. I take more work calls on my personal phone. I hope that made sense.

Handyman Repair: I do my own work and repair. Mostly. Unless it is something technical or specific.

Construction crews: Are you talking general contractor or something trade specific?

Thanks for the reply. While Covid has delayed a trigger pulling for several months, I'm still hoping to get out to the the Black Hills at some point here. I'll need to a whole new supply chain if I do, and figured others moving there would need to be doing the same.

For construction work, when I was doing my Dad's hospice East River, he wanted to come home and I fixed it up to allow this and to get the home looking its best. Now when I say I fixed it, I basically mean I subbed out everything and paid for it so that the home should be tip top for the rest of my mother's life, from the roof shingles down to the foundation and correcting water flows on the surrounding landscaping for a now dry year round basement. I had a range of contractors, most of whom were wonderful and I enjoyed working with. They communicated, delivered reasonably timely and on budget. However, I had two that I wish I hadn't selected. One was just an idiot that could have been dangerous. The one that left the scar was taking a bathroom wall out two feet to allow for a wider door and replacing the standard shower with an accessible one on existing hookup. No change orders from me or communication from them, I bought the materials, but 3x over budget, very late and shoddy work. Honestly, the worst I'd ever used, but they can stay in business because everyone was filled for scheduled timeline. If they were the best, I'd have flown in a crew from California first class put them up in a hotel and saved money in the process.

Sorry, got myself riled up. Most of the crews were solid though and I like voting with my dollars for people that do their jobs well. If I do get the nod, my wife and I have rentals out here, and we'd be looking to SS1031 the money into SD. To start, that will mean acquiring rental properties and fixing them up. Get some history working with people. Where I'm at, young people making $100K a year can't afford to buy yet, so there's a very solid rental demographic to service. With the price appreciation, it's really a can't lose game. The margin for error is going to be much tighter in Rapid City, but I still want the places to look good. Plus, I especially like to retrofit a place for a family with a disabled member that needs it. It makes me feel good about myself, and from a business standpoint, accepting a lower ROI in exchange for a tenant with few options to choose from tends to make for a nice long relationship. Of course, the difference of whether or not that can be done at all really boils down to how good one's construction supply chain is.

So I'll be looking for a couple of fixers to see if I can pull one together, and in the process turn a couple eyesores into cute little homes, even if my money doesn't come back until I'm dead...I'll hopefully gain a solid supply chain for more lucrative projects. Because I can't assemble a shelf set myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City