Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2008, 08:08 PM

393 posts, read 1,069,484 times

Advertisements

Well, I'd say the consensus above is, if you have the chance and time to spend there, it's worth taking a break there but not worth going way out of your way for. Me, well, I've been there probably 4 or 5 times and I enjoy it very much because it's a blast from the past from when times were simple. I haven't decided whether or not I'll make the drive over there when my wife and I come out there next month. We'll be in Rapid for 7 days and at this point, I'm 50/50 depending on time.

I'll say this though, the Pioneer Auto show in Murdo is worth stopping for if you are interested in antiques and the technology of the past. I've been there several times too and love it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-19-2008, 10:22 AM

733 posts, read 4,653,826 times
Other than a brief stint in MN I've lived in SD all my life - now well over 1/2 of a century. If possible I stop at Wall Drug and Al's Oasis in Oacoma every time I drive across the state. Why? I have NEVER failed to see at least 1 person, and usually several, I know at each location. Hey, it may not be the Metropolitan Art Museum, but Wall Drug is a good place for a reasonable meal, cheap coffee, and a pleasant conversation with a friend!

Old 05-19-2008, 02:25 PM

3,941 posts, read 14,714,004 times
Windtimber, that is very true! I have never stopped at Al's Oasis without seeing at least one face I am familiar with. It's just weird!

Old 05-19-2008, 04:32 PM

1,961 posts, read 6,923,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannyBanany View Post
Chris are you driving to Las Vegas or are you driving to Rapid City to fly with the low rates?
I am driving to Las Vegas with family and plan to visit relatives in Colorado and brother in Wyoming. If I was going myself, I would fly. But it is a good opportunity for most of the family to go and see relatives out west and see the Western part of US.

Old 05-19-2008, 05:35 PM

2,398 posts, read 5,409,191 times
I love Al's Oasis!

Old 05-26-2008, 07:27 PM

7 posts, read 17,764 times
Default Wall Drug Can Be Skipped

I have been to Wall once and dont need to stop in again..I make 2 trips a year to see the inlaws in the Hills. Chamberland is my favorite place in the state, the Missouri River is awesome! So beautiful, the town itself is small but the river is amazing and very welcoming after 6 hours of driving with out seeing anything. I drive out from minneapolis, skip Wall and head for the Hills..you need time, it takes forever in the winding hills to get anywhere

Old 05-29-2008, 04:36 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,165,679 times
I drove across South Dakota last year and stopped at both Wall Drug and Al's Oasis. Both were wonderful places and I will stop there again next time I'm travelling I-90 through SD. I snapped a bunch of pictures of the town of Wall. So quiet, peaceful and pleasant.

Old 05-29-2008, 05:49 AM

What is/Where is Al's Oasis? I think I've been there but I can't say for sure...

Old 05-29-2008, 09:14 AM

733 posts, read 4,653,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackhillsdreams View Post
What is/Where is Al's Oasis? I think I've been there but I can't say for sure...
I-90 just west of the Missouri River. At Oacoma, across the river from Chamberlain. Grocery store, gas station, gift shop, restaurant. Owned by the Mueller family, I believe.

Old 05-29-2008, 09:49 AM

Smile Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by windtimber View Post
I-90 just west of the Missouri River. At Oacoma, across the river from Chamberlain. Grocery store, gas station, gift shop, restaurant. Owned by the Mueller family, I believe.
Oooooooooooh, OK. Yep, then I've been there once probably about 12 years ago. Nice place. I really liked that little town and area. It's very small, but just beautiful there. I stayed one night at the Oacoma hotel which I think changed to a Holiday Inn Express sometime later. The views of the river and the bridges, the rest area trails, all of it is just beautiful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Dakota > Rapid City